GS-92 With Factory Speed Hammer Question (?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
Recently acquired a Speed Six (GS-92) & it came with the Ruger factory speed hammer (no hammer spur). Were the speed hammers offered as original equipment or just as accessory add ons? As always, Thanks in advance for your assistance!

lmd

chet15

Hawkeye
lovemydals":1zd3nwn1 said:
Recently acquired a Speed Six (GS-92) & it came with the Ruger factory speed hammer (no hammer spur). Were the speed hammers offered as original equipment or just as accessory add ons? As always, Thanks in advance for your assistance!
lmd

spurless hammers were available and could be installed by anybody. I know of quite a few spurless DA's that came from the factory that way and they won't letter, but you might try the factory to see if this one will letter. In 9mm you already have a great DA, but getting it to letter would be even better! Let us know how you turn out!
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
As far as I know, they will only letter as having the spurless hammer if they were a model that specifically came with that hammer (like the NYCPD guns). Unless it was noted on the invoice, but that is a long shot.

There is a new-shipped old-stock GS32 that I know of that has the spurless hammer but no record of it.

There were two types of those hammers, one is actual DAO, the other can awkwardly be cocked SA.

These are mentioned in The ruger books by wilson quoting jay Hansen if I recall, not many are the true DA in fact yours might be the second known. It was a short run The note in ours reads expermental hammer

Terry T

Buckeye
'Golferboy426'
That's a very interesting quote. I think they are a bit more common than that - I have a GS-82 with the full double action (can be cocked for single action) Speed Hammer, Stamped on the side of the frame 'ABC 060'. I would guess that it was a special order for a public agency. I've seen another on Gunbroker with the number 'ABC 100'. One could surmise from that that there may be as many as 40 out there.

The true Double Action Only (DAO) GP100, that I have, also has the same profile hammer with the cross hatching on the top as if to provide purchase for one's thumb for single action cocking.

The DAO SP101s do not have the cross hatching on the top of the hammer. However, the 'State Dept.' ring hammer DAO versions beg the question - why bother with the higher profile hammer? (My guess is that there was a holster retention strap requirement in the governmental contract specifications).

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
ABC 100 - ABC 060 = 40. :shock: Just speculation, of course. The intervening numbers could have been assigned to other guns.

The issue seems to be the DA/SA Speed Hammers. I was surprised at 'Golferboy's' suggestion that they are very rare (2 or 3 known). Of course, only 40 would, in fact, make them 'very rare'. It is too bad that the Ruger Records don't seem to note shipments with the 'Speed Hammers'.

For some reason, maybe the shape of the hammer with the cross hatching on the top for a thumb purchase, I've always assumed that the common version was the DA/SA and that the DAO was the less common.

One thing is clear, If one ordered a minimum number, Ruger would make up special models to meet police contract specifications. All the better if the new model could be put together from the existing parts bins. The 3" heavy barrel for the Postal Service guns shows up later in the GS-83 and GF-33. (Obviously a contract specification - the difference in performance between 2 3/4" and 3" is nominal). The 'P' Postal Service rubber grip is used to create the GS-84HP for the Boston Police. The experimental 'ring hammer' is used to create a DAO (but with an abbreviated hammer spur) SP101 for the State Dept.

Making a DA/SA hammer a DAO is a simple as deleting a notch.

What fun trying to recreate Ruger's production records from findings in the field - kind of like recreating a lost civilization from long lost tombs. :D

Terry T

lovemydals

Buckeye
What about ABC 001 thru ABC 059? That's another possible 59 units. Of course, that's just speculation. There could of been any number of combination's produced. TT, your mind works in mysterious ways. :roll:

What fun trying to recreate Ruger's production records from findings in the field - kind of like recreating a lost civilization from long lost tombs.

TT,

Not a good idea to make things up to suit a preconceived need. What that need is, I do not know. :roll:

One thing is clear, If one ordered a minimum number, Ruger would make up special models to meet police contract specifications.

TT,

Where did you come up with this info? What, more speculation? :roll: Really now, how do you know that? How about enlightening the rest of us on your source of info regarding the Six Series production? Have you been holding out on us? :lol:

lmd

Terry T

Buckeye
'Golferboy',
OK, that makes more sense!
Please elaborate - I don't have that particular book and would like more info on SP101s.
Thanks,
Terry T

lovemydals

Buckeye
TT,

golferboy426 is referring to "Ruger & His Guns", by R. L. Wilson. In it (page 193), Jay Jarvis speaks of the SP101's & in the last paragraph he mentions the "round knob for a hammer spur". Do you want to borrow my book? I have two copies, one published in 1996 & the other published in 2007.

lmd

Terry T

Buckeye
LMD,
Thanks, I'll connect with you. Sounds like the 'ring hammer' that showed up later on the 'State Dept.' version.
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
Golferboy:
Aren't you speaking of the early SP101 you have with the bobbed hammer and hole through it? The Speed-Six lovemydals is speaking of would be a different circumstance.
Chet15

Terry T

Buckeye
Chet,
That's what I'm calling a 'ring hammer'. It seems to have been used as a DAO hammer on the 'State Dept.' SP101s sold by CDNN Sports a couple of years ago. Do you need some info on these? I have one.
Terry T

"ABC" USED to stand for "Alcoholic Beverage Control Comission", a state agency in California which regulated liquor license compliance. It may also have existed or still exist in other states. Unfortunately it could stand for lots of other things, too. (I have a Smith and Wesson M64 engraved PPD--Portland, ME? Paris, Texas? P....?? I'lll probably never know....).