GS-84 Maryland PD Gun??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Gentlemen,
Does anyone have any info on this Speed-Six? I forgot I bought it and
was logging some guns in when I stumbled on it in the safe.

GS-84, Ser.# 161-56985, .38Spcl. 4" barrel SS, Ruger Finger Groove Pac's. On the left side of the frame there is a Police Badge with the
following inscription "Police Officer" "Montgomery Co." "MD" see pics.

RENE (page 197)
Maryland State Troopers Association guns were GS-34's (.357 not .38sp.)

In the 160-106xx range we have a GS-32, Speed -Six, 23/4" .357Mag.
See pics
Terry

017-1.jpg

016-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Neat gun Terry! Does it letter as a GS-84P? Maybe it will come back with a different catalog number like the New York guns?
Rollmarkings look to be by Ruger as well.
Chet15

Snake45

Hawkeye
I used to live in that general neighborhood a few lifetimes ago. Montgomery County is on the West side of DC and is pretty upscale. They have not only a Sheriff's Department but a County Police force as well.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Just got off the phone with Ruger Records and
she letters as a GS-84HP shipped in January 1985.

psyclone66, - I just took these pic's myself of the gun.
Thanks for the tip I sent him a PM.
Terry

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Those were our duty issue guns( I came on in 1985) and our Dept. armorer engraved all the guns himself with some sort of stencil. Did a pretty good job ! When we switched over to the berretas(another story involving our Govenor) we were given the option of buying them. I surely bought mine ! Still have it ! Some guys bought several, and sold them for profit. A few turned up later, used in crimes as far away as Fla., and the county banned all re-sale of guns to LEO. I'm stuck in a liberal state, in the MOST liberal county of that state. That's it in a nut shell.

Be happy to answer any more questions for you, Terry ! Take care, Buddy, Jeff

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Jeff Hoover":302mchih said:
Those were our duty issue guns( I came on in 1985) and our Dept. armorer engraved all the guns himself with some sort of stencil. Did a pretty good job ! When we switched over to the berretas(another story involving our Govenor) we were given the option of buying them. I surely bought mine ! Still have it ! Some guys bought several, and sold them for profit. A few turned up later, used in crimes as far away as Fla., and the county banned all re-sale of guns to LEO. I'm stuck in a liberal state, in the MOST liberal county of that state. That's it in a nut shell.

Be happy to answer any more questions for you, Terry ! Take care, Buddy, Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks very much for the information!! It is nice to know the background
on pieces like this. Your Armorer did a super job on those guns. Would you happen to know how many pistols were purchased by your Dept.?
Once again Thanks Jeff. You too pcyclone!
Terry

Terry T

Buckeye
So --- this joins the 1,500 to 2,000 Boston Police Department guns. This configuration, GS-84HP, is turning out to have been popular with police departments. It was missing from Chad's first edition.

rugerGS-84HP1.jpg

RUGERGS-84HP2.jpg

RUGERGS-84HP3.jpg

I think the smaller grip was popular with female officers with smaller hands. The 'non-magnum' .38spl appealed to urban departments concerned with over penetration. Even the CHP was restricting use to .38spl from at least 1977 to 1988.

Terry T

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Now I know what those "BPD" markings are. Bought two of those in 1996 or so. Kept the best one which looked almost unissued and had it repolished by Ruger. Probably the best made and fitted "Six" I have seen.

chet15

Hawkeye
Good info everybody ont the Montgomery County gun. Even though the markings were apparenty put on after-factory, I've listed it in the reference anyway for those who come upon one in the future.
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That's a neat one Terry!

I've got a NIB pair of the non-P model guns:

GS84H-Pair-159-80433-80434.jpg

I've seen others like Terry T's Beantown gun but the Montgomery Co. gun is news to me. As I recall, Terry T's came out of Alabama and when it was for sale, I thought maybe it was Birmingham, AL PD.