Group sizes at 100 yards

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thor's daddy

Bearcat
Once, years ago, I stretched my BFR 45-70 out to 100 and got a 4" group, scoped, from a bench, with shooting factory ammo I had. Not even the best factory ammo, just what I had. So I would think 2" groups with hand loads and practice are doable. In my uneducated opinion…..
With a BFR? No problem. I'm no hotshot, but I've got a target in my field book from my BFR in 475L with three shots just over 0.8 inches. Most days it's 3-4 inches for five shots in my hands, but the gun will do it if I can get my act together.

A few years back I was at the old public range while a couple other guys were shooting. The guy on my left was a rifle shooter with some handsome little sporter. He seemed rather absorbed in the task of working up some handloads. The guy on my right was sighting in an AR, carefully getting the gun settled on the bags.

We ran through our first set and walked together down to the targets. As we approached, I could see my paper plate with five holes all nestled well within three inches. Without moving my head I glanced over to my left to see a target with a group of holes a bit tighter than mine. My eyes drifted right to see a target that looked to be buckshot patterned from 50 yards or more.

As I pulled it down I could feel the rifle shooter's eyes drilling my target. I tried not to look, but finally gave him a glance and a bashful shrug. His mouth was literally agape. I couldn't even look at the other guy. I knew he'd seen what I'd done with that revolver.

We went back to the benches and got back to work. My subsequent groups opened up a bit, while the rifle shooter's tightened. The AR guy squeezed off a couple more targets of buckshot pattern before calling it a day.

Truth be told, I've heard that AR's can be super-accurate, and I fully believe it.

I believe it, but I've yet to see it...

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
With a BFR? No problem. I'm no hotshot, but I've got a target in my field book from my BFR in 475L with three shots just over 0.8 inches. Most days it's 3-4 inches for five shots in my hands, but the gun will do it if I can get my act together.

A few years back I was at the old public range while a couple other guys were shooting. The guy on my left was a rifle shooter with some handsome little sporter. He seemed rather absorbed in the task of working up some handloads. The guy on my right was sighting in an AR, carefully getting the gun settled on the bags.

We ran through our first set and walked together down to the targets. As we approached, I could see my paper plate with five holes all nestled well within three inches. Without moving my head I glanced over to my left to see a target with a group of holes a bit tighter than mine. My eyes drifted right to see a target that looked to be buckshot patterned from 50 yards or more.

As I pulled it down I could feel the rifle shooter's eyes drilling my target. I tried not to look, but finally gave him a glance and a bashful shrug. His mouth was literally agape. I couldn't even look at the other guy. I knew he'd seen what I'd done with that revolver.

We went back to the benches and got back to work. My subsequent groups opened up a bit, while the rifle shooter's tightened. The AR guy squeezed off a couple more targets of buckshot pattern before calling it a day.

Truth be told, I've heard that AR's can be super-accurate, and I fully believe it.

I believe it, but I've yet to see it...
AR's with a good barrel are real accurate. what you are seeing are guys that cant shoot that good but will go on a forum and say they shot 1/4 inch at 300 yds

AR's with a good barrel are real accurate. what you are seeing are guys that cant shoot that good but will go on a forum and say they shot 1/4 inch at 300 yds
Yeet Cannon!!! Using the Homeboy sights!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_170411528.jpg
    IMG_20221228_170411528.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20221228_170434694.jpg
    IMG_20221228_170434694.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
Absolutely! I built an AR in 2013 just for target shooting at 100 yards at the local club. It will shoot 5 shot, 1/2" groups or better at 100 yards, every time, no problem. I didn't go much over a grand for the complete setup. I was the only member there with an AR (.223), while the other members were there with their multi thousand $$ bolt action builds in hand. Next year, there were 4 more ARs at the annual shoot, lol.

Old pic, has a different scope setup on it nowadays.

B58C10F3-81F9-4BA5-AB03-2C7C00A56EDF.jpeg

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
Absolutely! I built an AR in 2013 just for target shooting at 100 yards at the local club. It will shoot 5 shot, 1/2" groups or better at 100 yards, every time, no problem. I didn't go much over a grand for the complete setup. I was the only member there with an AR (.223), while the other members were there with their multi thousand $$ bolt action builds in hand. Next year, there were 4 more ARs at the annual shoot, lol.

Old pic, has a different scope setup on it nowadays.

View attachment 14574
nice rifle

DocTone

Bearcat
So I recently had a troll-boy attack me for a comment I made on a YT video, where I mentioned I have 44 Magnum handloads with both 200 grain and 300 grain Hornady XTPs that shoot into 2" five-shot groups at 100 yards from a 7 1/2" Super Redhawk with a 2-7 scope off a good rest. After calling me a liar, he tried claiming physics, mechanical engineering, twist rates, ballistics, and yada yada yada prove that it is impossible. With all due respect, I know it IS possible since I've done it on numerous occasions. I've even shot a 1 5/8 inch group by firing all five from one chamber, which demonstrated that some chambers weren't as well aligned with the bore as others. I also recall, gun writer Ross Seyfried shot a group under an inch at 100 yards with a big bore revolver at one point (using all five chambers), but disremember if that was using open sights. August '94 Guns & Ammo, if anyone has a copy that's not packed away.

Have any of you dabbled in 100 yard revolver shooting, and what kind of groups have you seen? I am aware 2" is good, but refuse to believe it is unprecedented.

View attachment 13914
Easily acomplished with the .45 Colt 7.5" BH. This was sitting two hand gripped resting on knees. Iron sights. Load was 300gr. XTP / 22gr. H110 CCI 350 primer 1.570" oal chambers 1,2&3 when it had XR3-RED grips. Now is a SUPER BH with .452" Throats for Lead boolits.

Attachments

• 80 yds.jpg
    80 yds.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Copy of Receipt.jpg
    Copy of Receipt.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Super BH 45 Colt.JPG
    Super BH 45 Colt.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 63

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
LOL. I have heard 14 million times that guys need 24X scope on a 22 for 50 yds cause they do not have young eyes. need scopes on everything. now all of a sudden these guys can make unbelievable groups with irons along with the short sight radius. same guys will put a scope on a close range lever gun "cause my eyes are old". I cant figure it out
Thanks to the miracle of trifocal glasses marksmanship can be reclaimed to a point. Without mine, I can't clearly see the rear sight, let alone the front. With them, the front sight is clear in the middle of the lense and clear enough to see the target clearly enough from 25-50yds.

The trick is getting your head tilted forward just right for it all to get together.

Just found this thread. Noah, I believe you. I have in the past managed 3 and 4" groups at 100 yards with my 8 3/8" S&W .41 Mag with a 2x Leupold scope off a bench with factory ammo. I am not a competition shooter, just try to pay attention and do my best. Can I do this in the field? Hah, give me a break. I have harvested two nice bucks at around 40 yards, no rest, off hand with the same gun.

willicd76

Bearcat
People who can shoot 2" groups at 100yds are exponentially more rare than revolvers that can, and Revolvers that can are far more rare than you might think. 2" revolvers must live in the same safes as 1/4" rifles. Damned near everyone has one until it's time to "put up or shut up" and then there is always an "issue".

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
People who can shoot 2" groups at 100yds are exponentially more rare than revolvers that can, and Revolvers that can are far more rare than you might think. 2" revolvers must live in the same safes as 1/4" rifles. Damned near everyone has one until it's time to "put up or shut up" and then there is always an "issue".
I have found the same thing as you

willicd76

Bearcat
My 5" 357 mag S&W can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards when I do my part
That's the most common saying you hear when talking about accuracy. Fact is, it's highly unlikely your gun and load will do it with consistency wether you "do your part " or not. Most folks do something once or twice and from that point forward that's what it is andThey have the group in their wallet to prove it!😁

Springer2

Bearcat
Revolvers that can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards are not common but some can. It takes a lot of load development as well because I never seen any off the shelf ammo deliver that kind of performance. Even the number of handguns from a mechanical rest that can shoot 2" or less at 50 yards are rare and usually expensive.