Group sizes at 100 yards

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
So I recently had a troll-boy attack me for a comment I made on a YT video, where I mentioned I have 44 Magnum handloads with both 200 grain and 300 grain Hornady XTPs that shoot into 2" five-shot groups at 100 yards from a 7 1/2" Super Redhawk with a 2-7 scope off a good rest. After calling me a liar, he tried claiming physics, mechanical engineering, twist rates, ballistics, and yada yada yada prove that it is impossible. With all due respect, I know it IS possible since I've done it on numerous occasions. I've even shot a 1 5/8 inch group by firing all five from one chamber, which demonstrated that some chambers weren't as well aligned with the bore as others. I also recall, gun writer Ross Seyfried shot a group under an inch at 100 yards with a big bore revolver at one point (using all five chambers), but disremember if that was using open sights. August '94 Guns & Ammo, if anyone has a copy that's not packed away.

Have any of you dabbled in 100 yard revolver shooting, and what kind of groups have you seen? I am aware 2" is good, but refuse to believe it is unprecedented.

View attachment 13914
I'd be a bit surprised if anyone could shoot a 1" group with a revolver with irons. Certainly not consistently! But with a scope and a really good gun, sure.

Here a guy claims a 3" group with a plastic pistol and a red dot. 2" with a scoped revo should be easy by comparison.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
One evening after we had bee shooting a customer drove up carrying a target. He was pleased as punch. The target was the x, 10, 9, and I believe 8 rings of a silhouette target. The customer had had my friend do an action and accuracy job on a Colt 1911 and was gushing about how he could now keep all of his shots on the target from 10 YARDS!!

You see some crazy stuff at the range. A while back my wife and I were at an indoor range that I don't love, 'cause it's not the nicest range around, but it was Ladies Night so she got in free. (Hardly any other women there, though.) A couple of lanes over, what I took to be a father and adult son duo were shooting some sort of duty-sized auto pistol at a huge silhouette target at maybe 5 yards and just spraying all over it. Not even shooting fast, to the best of my memory.

Meanwhile, on her 10th or 11th day of shooting ever, my wife was keeping every shot from her Mark IV 22/45 and > 90% from her CZ P-01 on an 8" pink Birchwood Casey at 10 yards. Of course, she had a great instructor! ;-)

jmca

Bearcat
How is this?
Many many years ago, my nephew and I laid on the edge of the field. 125 yards or so he claimed there was a woodchuck standing. I drew my 4 inch barreled Security-Six, checked to see if there were 38 wadcutters or 158 hollow points. I told him to spot the bullets. Putting as much front sight as possible in the rear sight. He calls out a foot to the right. I said its not a woodchuck, he swore it was. 2nd shot right at the base of the clump of grass. I told him its NOT a woodchuck! He laughed and said he knew that, he just wanted to see if I could hit it! I shot a 3rd time and hit it again close to the same spot.
I said there, not one lucky shot but 2 good shots!
You see, 5 days prior, I had jumped out of the truck as the turkeys crossed the road in front of us. I drew and shot at one, he ducked! I opened the cylinder, three 357's and three 38's, re-spun the cylinder to come up on a 38. Pretty soon, he pops his head up to look at us. Gun goes off, Turkeys head flies off!
Nephew rarely cursed, but he did that day!
Point is that if you regularly shoot a particular gun with a FEW particular loads, you will be very comfortable with it!

DGW1949

Hunter
Back when I was younger and still had good eyes, I could hit an empty milk jug @ 100yds using a Colt Government .45ACP loaded with ball ammo but I could not do it every time, and I could not do it at all unless I was seated with my forearms resting against my knees or propped against something...On a good day, I could get regular hits @ 50yds when free-standing, but that's as good as that ever got.

Today, I mostly practice at 'inside the house distances' with a bit of shooting while moving thrown in when circumstances allow.

DGW

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
100 yards isn't even that far, if you think about it

I shoot "minute of bowling ball" sized groups with Uberti Walkers at 100 , resting my hands on a table. And obviously working with the crudest sights that classify as sights

LOL. I have heard 14 million times that guys need 24X scope on a 22 for 50 yds cause they do not have young eyes. need scopes on everything. now all of a sudden these guys can make unbelievable groups with irons along with the short sight radius. same guys will put a scope on a close range lever gun "cause my eyes are old". I cant figure it out
You will when you mature, as BR competitor it's obvious to compete with others using 24x to 40x scopes only a fool would think they could compete against them with less equipment!

Once you learn aging is not an option, and what goes with it is something everyone will have to deal with. But it takes decades to understand that. For those that can't, they become less than successful at everything they once did successfully!

You'll understand in time, if not, the other option ain't good, but you'll either pay like others, or you just won't be,,,,,,,,,

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Feats of shooting, and group sizes are like Fish Stories. The groups get smaller each time the story is told and the distances get farther

I have a coworker who will swear on a stack of Bibles that he hit a running deer at 500 yards with an iron sighted 30-06 rifle. I'm like yeah ok , I totally believe you hit a deer that was walking at 100 yards and the story just gets spicier with each retelling

No I haven't tried shooting groups ,but we have a 3" diameter plate at 100 yards that when I am focused I can ring pretty regular with iron sights. I do have a scoped Ruger super redhawk and will try some groups. I have no doubt about the ability of a good revolver to produce groups like you mention , for me it would be sight picture repeatability.

jspick

Bearcat
Of course it is possible. Let the nay sayers say what they want. They just don't have the equipment or skill to do it so it can't be done according to them. I've delt with a few on a rimfire forum that say you can't get a 1/2" group at 100 yards. It can be done. I've done a few things with a rimfire that I found out later wasn't possible. Nothing special. I got faster velocities out of my 28" 40X than I did with several shorter barreled 22's.
I have shot at 100 yards with both 357 and 44 mag. A full sized man is safe with me behind the trigger at that range.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
My club rifle range is set for 50, 100 and 200. At the left end of the 200 yd is a 12" metal plate. I've never shot groups at 100 yds with my revolvers but we've hit that plate over and over with every type of handgun we have, optics and irons. After lobbing a few at it and finding the right hold I can hit it consistently with my 2.75 Security Six. I know its a 12" plate and probably not that hard to dial in on for most. But its fun. At the end of range time we often see who hits it the least out a cylinder or mag....that person picks up the tab at lunch or dinner.

I handgun hunt. But I zero at 50, and never consider shots over what I estimate to be that. Currently I'm not in hunting shape due to a few recent surgeries. Took last spring, summer and this fall off. to recover. But, I do want to cook up some loads for my 6" GP100 w/ultradot and see how the GP and I will do at 100. I have groundhogs in mind. I think my spotting and creeping up on them days are in the past. Rifle pokes are still fun, but not like hand gunning them.

ChrisRhodes

Bearcat
I haven't been on ruger forum in a long time….. but anyways….

When you start talking about hitting targets at rifle distances with a wheelgun…..some people get their butt on their shoulders. It's tough for some to understand that their limitations don't apply to everyone.

Been lucky enough to smack rock chucks to 275 with a wheelgun…. The ones bellow were a 150 yard (memory might be off) double. 240 xtp BFR 44.

Attachments

• IMG_9052.jpeg
    IMG_9052.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 33

Threespears

Single-Sixer
I've been spending a fair amount of time in the deer stands over the last several weeks. During the "slow & boring" time,, I read. A lot of what I've been reading is old Shooting Times magazines from the early 1990's.
And the fun comes from reading some of the comments on recoil, accuracy etc of big bore handguns. Much of what I've scanned lately has been fun because of the READER comments to articles on shooting at say 100 yds with a big bore.

Your nay-sayer is an internet commando & has no real HONEST time shooting big bore handguns at REAL distances. That troll-boy needs to meet guys like David Bradshaw,, or Dick Thompson, or Mark Hampton, or,,,the list goes on.

David is a IHMSA champion, and he can prove things with a handgun at 100-200 yds easily. But he has put in the time, and has the skill. Your troll is obviously the type that uses mostly bottom feeding, shell shuckers & thinks a 3" group at 10 yds is "great!"

I've even had guys come to my range,, to shoot a USPSA match, and can not believe I shoot 100 yds with a revolver. I point things out to them, and offer a challenge. Can we say; "SURPRISED!"

Ignore the troll.

Remember,, arguing with someone like that is like wrestling with a pig. Both of you will get dirty,, but you'll soon learn the pig enjoys it!
OLD MAGAZINES from 1990s😵‍💫

Please will someone give me a Double Shot of geritol