GROUND SQUIRRELS 2012

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
As usual spring time in Idaho is slow coming. I decided I'd had enough so even though it was cold & threathning rain or snow I went for a little drive. The wind was the main culprit, when its blowing the squirrels either stay inside their dens or they stay close to the hole & in a low spot.
I drove out to one of my favorite haunts & rolled the window down, stoked the S&W 45 ACP revolver with a half dozen 200 gr hollow points & started scanning the sagebrush.
After a few minutes I spotted one about 20-25 yds straigh out in front of the truck, I eased the door open & sent one of the freshly cast HP's down the 6 1/2" runway of the old Smith...it went high, I donated another one after holding a bit lower...it also went high, just barley, that one made him duck, so I held right where his butt met the burrow & launched him butt hole over eye ball. He made a couple of wiggles & flopped down the hole.
After many years of reaching down in these den holes to fish out squirrels or badgers I have a real dislike for doing it. With my ever present headlight on my hat I could see the shine of an eyeball, he was deader than Obama Care.
The hole was quite small & I had to find a stick to fish him out of the hole but I did get him out. I already had the rear sight all the way down but the gun was still shooting high. Yesterday I had switched from a 230 gr SWC to the lighter 200 gr HP's but still had to hold low to make contact. Tomorrow I'll bump the load up in velocity to get the sights down on target.
Here's my little headlight that I always have on my hunting hat, comes in real handy almost everyday.

100_3246-1.jpg

No global warming here in Idaho, I'm sure some of you are planting flowers.....not here!

100_3245.jpg

I ended up getting 4 squirrels, not bad for such a cold, windy day. All 4 made it to the den hole before giving up, the 200 gr HP is a round nose style & needed either more velocity or a heavier target, even a large bull, ground squirrel will only weigh about 8 ozs, the bullets were just penciling them. I'm currently loading 4.3 grs of WST, tomorrow it will be 4.6 grs, this will also bring the zero down.

100_3240.jpg

This is my old 25-2 45 ACP, it has oversize throats & I have to use an unsized bullet that I lube with ALOX in order to get any accuracy, but it has always shot very well with .455" slugs.

100_3241.jpg

Hunting any critter in high winds is always a challenge, the winds make them very goosey/loosey & you don't get many chances.
I did manage to recover 2 of the 4....don't like putting my paws down in them holes!

100_3244-1.jpg

This is another one of the old abandoned farm houses out in the mountains.

100_3242.jpg

I'll round up old Callshot as soon as the weather warms up & we'll spit some seeds & whack more ground squirrels & badgers. Anybody that wants to stick their hand down one of these holes is welcome to tag along!

Dick

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Wondered if you was getting out any.Right now I'd take your snow over what we've been getting the last few days.
How soft are you casting those 200grhp's? I've cast a few with, (9bhn), but haven't shot any critters to see how they work, yet.
BTW, your name was thrown around quite a bit at the CSA shoot as was a certain no neck fella's. :wink:

Hugh

Buckeye
Do I need to get an Idaho hunting license? Or, can I just come up with a couple of six-shooters and my cat in a trailer?

sixshot

Buckeye
Hugh, you'll need 4 things....an Idaho hunting license, a sixgun, a 4 wheeler & some sunflower seeds, spitting seeds always helps the accuracy, just ask Callshot. He missed one of the biggest moose in Idaho a few years ago because he wasn't spitting seeds!

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
I was wondering where you were. I haven't seen you for three days. I did buy a half bushel of seeds yesterday. They were the dill pickle flavored ones you like sooooo much! Steve

Hugh

Buckeye
sixshot said:
Hugh, you'll need 4 things....an Idaho hunting license, a sixgun, a 4 wheeler & some sunflower seeds, spitting seeds always helps the accuracy, just ask Callshot. He missed one of the biggest moose in Idaho a few years ago because he wasn't spitting seeds!

Dick

Well Dick, that makes it kinda hard. I don't have an Idaho hunting license, a four wheeler, or sunflower seeds. Got a couple of sixguns though. Can get my hands on some salted mixed nuts though.

mt

Single-Sixer
I sure enjoy the short hunting recaps and photo's. I especially enjoy the photo's of the old farmstead's...man, if those old place's could talk!

mt

sixshot

Buckeye
Sheriff, sorry to hear those guys were talking about me without being there to defend myself. I'm sure Tom & Glenn beat me up pretty bad.....& I'm not even a Yankee, I'm from southern Idaho!
Fermin is just like one of those Texas feral hogs, grab him by the back legs & you're safe cause he can't turn & hook ya, he hasn't got a neck, shoulders are just haired over.
Cockeyed Callshot, he knows I won't even let him in my truck if he's got dill pickle seeds, nobody can shoot straight eating those things.

100_3243.jpg

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
Mike, we appreciate your earlier warnings about all the bad stuff ground squirrels carry, we always wear gloves & then use the hand sanitizer that I keep in the truck.
Heck, I've probably been around worse diseases being with Callshot.. :shock: Hoof & Mouth disease, lockjaw, Bibitus.

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Mike, sixshot and callshot have eaten so many badgers, they now eat like badgers themselves. Eating a few ground squirrels won't hurt these guys any :lol: !

Nice to see you back, Dick ! Looking forward to some more stories !

Fermin, ol' callshot got mad cow from the lady who swings that 20" dutch oven over her head without spilling a drop......

callshot

Blackhawk
I just got back from the Dr. office. I had to get inoculated and vaccinated against all the bullogna (BS) that Dick puts here. Now the family has all left I can't wait to get back into the bibbbbbs. Dick has almost gotten used to them and doesn't say much unless I start carrying the pocket watch. I think that they should be FORMAL ATTIRE. 8) If I get time I will get a photo of him wearing some and post it here for you all. :oops: I have been busy planting some decoys of squirrels and rock chucks out where Dick hunts them. I have trail cams set up to get his reaction. I will let you all know how it turns out. :lol: :lol: :shock: Steve

Glad I saved my rant, guys! I shoot ground squirrels a lot (we have the fat California kind--they get all the fruits and nuts they want down here). I usually stalk them with a .22 WRM Contender Carbine, or use the AWESOME magnum cylinder on my "Liberty" Single Six (I usually reserve that word for the "AWESOME .410 3" Magnum" my hunting buddy kills quail with.....). But I think it appropriate to any "Magnum," even the baby ones I use.

That IS some shootin'. Think I'll bring my rifle the next time I go to 'ol Famous Potatoes or the Big Sky; wouldn't wanta face you-all in a pistol fracus!

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Now there's a picture in my head, of callshot in his formal bibs, ruffly front shirt, black bowtie, top hat, formal peg leg, and with the prinz nez specticles to boot :D