Grips on 3 screw super blackhawk.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

puke

Bearcat
I have a 1969 3 screw 44 mag. super blackhawk. I would like to put some hogue or pachmayr grips on it to tame the recoil. This is the only 3 screw I have ever owned... And I have no idea if I need to just order a set of grips for a square trigger guard super blackhawk,.. or if I need to order something else (I am not seeing anything available that says it is for an old model super blackhawk).. TO me it seems like an ordinary blackhawk except the fact that the cylinder on it is fluted. My newer ones aren't.

If any of you can chime in I would appreciate it.

puke

Bearcat
That's what I hear. My newer ones are not fluted. My son told me from the serial number it was probably made mid 1969, when they were still on 4 digits but starting out with 3 or 4 zeros..I think.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Order grips for a Square trigger frame Super Blackhawk. I have both Hogue and Pachmayr. These big grips are a must with stiff loads. Not pretty to look at, tho.

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
puke said:
That's what I hear. My newer ones are not fluted. My son told me from the serial number it was probably made mid 1969, when they were still on 4 digits but starting out with 3 or 4 zeros..I think.

Is it an 80-xxxxx ser#??

and what daveg.inkc said about grips...:)

puke

Bearcat
I think it's got the 80 first and zeros after that and then 4 numbers, but it's buried in the safe right now.

So,...I can put new model super redhawk pachmayr's on my old model super redhawk? Mine has a square trigger guard,. (but I think they all do..don't they?).?????

I was going to try a pachmayr,..I've got a lot of hogue monogrips on stuff,..and I've never had a pachmayr on a 44 but I really like the pachmayr on a 357,..more than a hogue monogrip on a 357. So, I guess I will order a decelerator and hope it fits.

My only worry is that I read somewhere that when ruger went to the new model super blackhawk,..they increased the grip size or something like that,.. And since Everything I have has aftermarket grips on it (and it would take a while for me to find the originals)..I have nothing to compare it to to see if that is just an internet rumor. I've read so much inaccurate information on the web I really try to stick to gun websites where people don't just assume their older brother's friend knows everything! Gun chatboards are not perfect,...but they are a whole lot more dependable that wikipedia or something like that.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
puke said:
I think it's got the 80 first and zeros after that and then 4 numbers, but it's buried in the safe right now.

So,...I can put new model super redhawk pachmayr's on my old model super redhawk? Mine has a square trigger guard,. (but I think they all do..don't they?).?????

5 1/2" or shorter barreled Super BHs or SBH Hunter models do not come with square back trigger guards.

And all square back trigger guard, grip frames are the same size.
So yes the grips will fit your SBH.

puke

Bearcat
I ordered a Pachmary decelerator. Hope it fits.

I wonder why mine has a fluted cylinder. I think I like the non fluted a little bit more. But no big deal.

I do wish there was such a thing as a reversible transfer bar mod. Transfer bars are a good idea.

puke said:

So,...I can put new model super redhawk pachmayr's on my old model super redhawk?

Super Blackhawks, not Super Redhawks.

:wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above,,, get the grips for the square back trigger guard Super Blackhawk,,, if that is the design of your gun.
I'm a bit curious about the fluted cylinder though. The Super Blackhawk 44 mags of 1969 should all have non-fluted cylinders.
OR can you be mistaken & have a normal Blackhawk that someone installed a Super Blackhawk grip frame on???
But,,, if the serial number does start with 80-0XXXX then it should be a Super. And again,,, I wonder about the cylinder.
All of my 80 prefix OM Supers have non-fluted cylinders. As they should have since about 1959. A full 10 years had passed before a 80-prefix gun was made.

Latest posts