grips for security six and speedloaders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joaquin

Bearcat
I have decided to use my Security Six for IDPA and have discovered that my speedloaders (which otherwise fit the gun) won't quite work with the standard wooden grips. The grips are just too thick and I don't want to modify them.

Can anyone suggest some third party that will work with speedloaders? I am using Safariland Comp III.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Hello,

I have a Security Six with factory wood grips. I use an H.K.S. III speedloader. You have to wiggle it a little bit, but then they just drop right in. I would think that speedloaders made for the gun would be made to work with factory grips? Who knows!

GilaMonster

Bearcat
My Security Six wears Hogue Monogrips, and my Sarariland speedloaders work well with it.

(Unfortunately, I have not had luck using HKS 36 speeders with my LCR, because the thumbside of the Hogue rubber grips get in the way)

glockmutt

Single-Sixer
Pacmayer Gripper Professional grips work well. Had them on my Security Six for over 20 years now. Speedloaders were never an issue. As Gila says the Hogue would be another good choice.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I've used my Security Six in IDPA; Jacques Trausch modified a set of his TJ84R grips for me (which he'll happily do if you request-in addition to modifying the grip for the square-butt Security Six frame, he also cut away a portion of the left grip thumbgroove ridge to better accomodate speedloaders for me). See www.trausch.com. I have both Sarariland CompII and HKS speedloaders; over time I've come to prefer the HKS, as they're a bit more durable in my opinion.

For a holster, I started out with a Safariland paddle, but I much prefer the Blade-Tech IWB I had made up.

Best, Jon

Joaquin

Bearcat
Jon,

How do you think that the Trausch grips would fit a small hand? From the website the TJ84R grips look kind of thick. have small hands and the grips that came with my security six are nice and thin.

Joaquin

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Tough question to answer. Joaquin. I'll take another look at mine tonight. I much prefer them to the factory wood target grips and the Hogue rubber fingergroove grips (although those really weren't bad).

I like the ergonomics of the Trausch grips, especially the beavertail and the rounded backstrap (which encloses the steel backstrap). My hands are medium-sized.

Best, Jon

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I checked mine last night-I think that you'd be just fine. The channels towards the top foward portion of the grips incorporated for thumb/index finger positioning also has the effect of minimizing the distance for trigger finger placement.

Best, Jon

Scotsman1886

Bearcat
I'm a huge fan of the Tyler T-grip. I have a Speed Six and a Police Service Six. Both have Stock wodden grips with T-Grips and wouldn't go another way.
Safariland Comp II Speedloaders are made for the "Six" and I prefer them over the HKS.

In contrast, my GP-100 has a Houge Monogrip which on that revolver, I prefer that.

Tyler is still around. Very small US company. Great to do business with.