grips for flat top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I have one of the Ruger flat top Blackhawks in .44 Sp. The grips that came on it are a little too skimpy to suit me. the thin (7/16) backstrap and the provided grips are too narrow to be comfortable unless I shoot with gloves on. So my question is; who makes grips that fit this gun and are thicker. Now, I am not interested in these rubber one piece grips, which are useful, but look like Hell on a single action gun. IMHO of course. anyone here have suggestions?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Any of the custom grip makers who post here would be able (and glad, I'm sure) to make you a pair to your specifications.

Bob Wright

G2

Hunter
I bought these for my 6.5" 50th Anniversary 44 Mag Flattop, they made a big difference shooting 44 Magnums, even though I shoot 44 Specials most of the time.

https://shopruger.com/Ruger-Vaquero-Smooth-Rosewood-Grips/productinfo/19871/

I noticed they are Sold Out, if you want my set I will ship them to you for $40 they are like new condition.

I'm going to fit a RW Brass Hunter Grip Frame, Super Hammer & Grooved Trigger, that combo will be the "E ticket" especially with the 44 Magnums.

Anybody else want the grip frame (steel XR3 flattop GF),,, send me a PM.

5of7

Hunter
G2 said:
I bought these for my 6.5" 50th Anniversary 44 Mag Flattop, they made a big difference shooting 44 Magnums, even though I shoot 44 Specials most of the time.

I noticed they are Sold Out, if you want my set I will ship them to you for $40 they are like new condition.

I'm going to fit a RW Brass Hunter Grip Frame, Super Hammer & Grooved Trigger, that combo will be the "E ticket" especially with the 44 Magnums.

I would buy these grips if you are sure they will fit my gun. While I was on Hoague's web site, they made a point of there being a difference between the thickness of grip frame. My grip frame is of the 7/16" variety and is steel. I am not up to date on all the little what fits what when it comes to grips, so if you know they will fit my gun, tell me where to send the check and I will have it in the mail tomorrow. If you would rather send me your address privately, PM me here.

caryc

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
G2 said:

I would buy these grips if you are sure they will fit my gun. While I was on Hoague's web site, they made a point of there being a difference between the thickness of grip frame. My grip frame is of the 7/16" variety and is steel. I am not up to date on all the little what fits what when it comes to grips, so if you know they will fit my gun, tell me where to send the check and I will have it in the mail tomorrow. If you would rather send me your address privately, PM me here.

Your 7/16" grip frame is the new steel copy of the old original aluminum grip frame. Yes it is 7/16" in width. Ruger was going for the Colt "feel" for cowboy shooters.

This grip frame came out on the "New Vaquero" introduced in 2005. Then they started making the "flattops" again and they used the same grip frame on them.

The grip panels outer perimeter shape is the same size as the old original aluminum XR3 but the old XR3 grips will not interchange with the New Vaquero or new Flattop grips. The grip locator pin hole in the new XR3 frames is in a slightly different location so the panels will not interchange. The old XR3 panels can be made to fit if you are willing to alter the pin location hole a bit.

Your flattop, as I said, uses the new XR3 grip panels. The grip panels made for the "New Vaquero" will also fit your flattop. Hope this helps you a bit.