Grips for Blackhawk/Vaquero/Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meeteetse

Bearcat
I have seen a number of good looking grips for single actions on this forum but I would like to find rubber grip panels.

Has anyone ever seen rubber grip panels, not the large Hogue or Packmeyer (sp) type that cover and enlarge the grip, but rubber tecture panels? I'm sort of looking for durability over good looks.

The new grips on the New Vaquero I think are a black plastic. I would like something that looks similar but with a rubber texture for better gripping. If not rubber what suggestions do you have for a grip that works in wet or cold weather??. . . . . . . .Thanks
Dave

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I had a set of bisley grips by Vintage ( the brownells link above) and they were awful. Very poor fit and nothing more than IM plastic with flow patterns in the material, not hard rubber. I was happy to get rid of them for $15 trade in value on a set of cracked eagle ebonys for a sbh)

Meeteetse

Bearcat
caryc":272ffxze said:
D R Greysun":272ffxze said:
The originals are made of 'hard' rubber!

D R

I hope you don't mean the stock grips on the New Vaquero.

I am not familiar with the grips on the new Vaquero, except for a few minutes of handling one. The grips felt like hard plastic to me. If they are not, then they are still too hard for what I am looking for. Truthfully I was looking for a soft rubber grip similar to the Hogue type but that does not cover the front or back strap. They may not exist.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look in to the Midway and Brownell's.

rugerbh73

Bearcat
I saw some custom knives once that had panels made from Goodyear tires. The panels were finished on a belt sander just like the other materials the maker used. They looked nice (sort of a dark greay bead blasted look). They felt nice too (smooth without any actual tread left on them) and provided a good grip. I guess someone could make a set of revolver grips with the same material (with a little sweat and imagination), I'd think the material would need to be laminated to a more rigid backing for use on a revolver.

Personally, I don't like any "tackiness" whatsoever on single action grips. I prefer a smooth natural material that allows the gun to roll in recoil. To me rubber grips are like someone popping the clutch on a hotrod and barking the tires on my hand each time I touch off a 44mag (the hide goes with the gun while the bones try to sit still).

Go with what YOU like, though. Good luck.

caryc

Hawkeye
Well personally as a grip maker, I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

If you're talking about a grip that is basically the same shape and thickness as a stock grip made out of soft rubber like Hogues wrap around grips, I don't think anyone is going to make something like that.

Without the rubber material covering the back strap those grips would compress on recoil and jamb the edges of the back strap into your palm.

They would just be too soft with nothing to keep them in place. That's the way I see it anyway. I have been known to be wrong a time or two in my life but I can't remember when. :mrgreen:

J. D. Moreguns

Bearcat
Kimber used to put them on their 1911's years ago I have a set for my PRO CARRY made in the late 90's they have no back strap, just panels.

caryc

Hawkeye
J. D. Moreguns":1wtzu31y said:
Kimber used to put them on their 1911's years ago I have a set for my PRO CARRY made in the late 90's they have no back strap, just panels.

The man is talking about single actions, not autos. The back straps on the autos are completely different being straighter and much wider.

Shooting a semi auto and a single action are two different things. We all know those type of grips will work on an auto. I still say they would not work on a big bore single action. Why do you think they can not be found?

caryc

Hawkeye
J. D. Moreguns":mqmy4bob said:
Sorry to offend you Cary,It won't happen again. I guess they can't be made If you say they won't work.

Touchy aren't you? You didn't offend me and I didn't say they can't be made. I said I don't think they would be worth a crap on big bore guns. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Again, I ask you why can't anyone find them for sale? Because no one is dumb enough to make them is my guess.

Make a soft feeling grip in the same shape as the grips on the 50th anniversary .44 mag and put them on that gun. Would anyone here care to fire it with full mag loads and that narrow grip frame?

What I say is not law.....it's my opinion. You're entitled to yours as well as I am.

J. D. Moreguns

Bearcat
Simply put we came here to see if anyone new if they were availabe. I guess they are not nor will they ever be made. But if someone does I would put them on and shoot any full house load you can come up with for a 50th anniversary .44 mag. My last word on the matter.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
caryc":10dqlo5k said:
J. D. Moreguns":10dqlo5k said:
Sorry to offend you Cary,It won't happen again. I guess they can't be made If you say they won't work.

Touchy aren't you? You didn't offend me and I didn't say they can't be made. I said I don't think they would be worth a crap on big bore guns. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Again, I ask you why can't anyone find them for sale? Because no one is dumb enough to make them is my guess.

Make a soft feeling grip in the same shape as the grips on the 50th anniversary .44 mag and put them on that gun. Would anyone here care to fire it with full mag loads and that narrow grip frame?

What I say is not law.....it's my opinion. You're entitled to yours as well
as I am.

I don't know why everyone is getting so up-tight about this. My question was, . . . do they exist? I appreciate your opinion caryc because I know you make quality grips and if you say they haven't been made because they wouldn't work well, that is good enough for me. It doesn't change the fact that I would try them if someone made grip panels similar to what I was talking about. Thanks for all the input. My question has been answered.

Knuckles

Buckeye
They could be made... a "soft over hard rubber" combination would do the trick... I don't guess there is much of a market for anyone to make them, but with the new materials currently available... they certainly could be made.

caryc

Hawkeye
knuckles":hyel5fyv said:
They could be made... a "soft over hard rubber" combination would do the trick... I don't guess there is much of a market for anyone to make them, but with the new materials currently available... they certainly could be made.

Me being a grip maker has nothing to do with this subject at all. I'm just thinking from the shooter side of the subject.

Maybe I've got it wrong but what I'm thinking the original poster wanted was grips made of the soft rubber such as the GP100 grips are made of. I'm just thinking that this soft rubber at the edges of the back strap on a big bore single action would not give you any protection if they were made in the shape of the stock wood grips. I'm thinking that the thin 7/16" back strap would be jammed into your hand painfully.

Certainly they could be made if they where backed with something hard like the old J Scott MOP grips were. They could also be made with a hard rubber backing such as the old Colt Gutta Percha grips were made of.

But let's face it guys, as I said in another post, this is the age of plastic. There must be a reason they don't use material like that anymore.

I'm thinking cost wise there just would not be a market for something like that or someone would already be making them.

Most successful companies don't stick around by making products that nobody wants. They also pay college graduates big salaries to research and find out what people want.

Then the bean counters take over and if that product can't be made in a cost effective way, the project just doesn't happen.

So, I guess I'm saying that if you want something like that, grab an old tire and a grinder and have at it. :wink:

Knuckles

Buckeye
I have not seen any "good looking" grips for SA revolvers that were not made from a tree or yanked off the head of an animal... doesn't mean there's not a set out there, but I ain't NEVER seen 'em.

I don't like pearl, but the Black Bird's head grips aren't to bad from Ruger.:roll: