Grips for a GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hayes1966

Bearcat
I bought a GP100 yesterday and it has Hogue grips on it that someone took a box cutter to. I plan on replacing these and just trying to get some opinions on whether to go with Hogue or Pachmyar.

LTB45

Bearcat
Mine came with the Hogue grips! I must say that they feel real good in the hand.
However I am contemplating some wood grips for it. They look nicer.

Oh and nice to see that the CCDL members are on this forum.

Lenny

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
If you plan on shooting it a lot, you can't go wrong with the Hogue monogrip. They aren't much for presentation, but they are very comfortable.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Me too ... they're the best grips for the GP AFAIC, I've tried all the others and always come back to the standard rosewood insert grips.

LTB45

Bearcat
For me, having shot my GP with both the Hogue grips and the older style with inserts. I have found that my accuracy is much improved with the Hogue grips, the finger grooves really do fit my hand well.

Emaho

Bearcat
Glad to hear from other GP100 owners. I used mine (6" SS .357) with the factory-supplied Hogue grips for a few months, and I liked them well enough.

I recently decided I like the wood-look better and got some that closely duplicate the Hogues, but are a bit fatter, and fit my hand better. Made by Hogue, too. Also, I like the smooth feel of the wood---more comfortable after a couple hundred rounds. Since I shoot mostly .38s, recoil isn't an issue. The ones I chose ran about $75 but, considering how much I spend on gun stuff, not a bad deal.

Sorry I can't send a pic. Mine are coca-bolo (coco-bola?), item # 80300.

Emaho

Bearcat
PS to the above:

My 4" Police Service-Six came (used) with Pachmyar grips, which are very nice. I wouldn't rule them out, either. Very much like the Hogue, except in hard rubber.

My 4" GP100 stainless came with the original rubber handgrips with rosewood panel inserts. I like them much more (aesthetically) than the new Hogue grips. And they still do a great job dampening the recoil. But they looked a little dull. I rubbed in several coats of tung oil, using 000 steel wool between each coat dried. Looks like a new gun.

rhatimi

Bearcat
Personally I like the houge grips on my 4-inch SS GP, they seem more rugged and hardy, and overall give me the best control over the firearm. That being said now that I look at the picture of the original grips w/ black-laminate wood inserts on the Ruger web-site they would be a lot more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe Ruger ought to introduce a houge mono-grip with black-laminate wood inserts for the GP :)