Gripframe weight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DerekR

Bearcat
Hi guys. I have a stainless gripframe I have installed on my Blackhawk. Does anyone know the weight difference between the aluminum and steel XR3Red gripframes? I couldn't find that data and I hate to pull the gripframe off just to weigh it!

Thanks in advance!

Derek

"felt" and actual does make a difference...........thats how the human sensory system works and its ALL connected to the head........ :wink:

The "actual" weight would not matter as long you YOU "feel" its heavier, YOU want "heavier" and if you close your eyes with one of each weight in each hand and switched hands, feeling the difference the 'numbers are meaningless'.......wow too heavy for this early in the morning.. :shock:

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Doug,

I think it's more about balance than anything else. 4 oz seems like it is very little, but small changes in weight have a greater effect on the balance.

I suppose this goes along with Dan's "felt vs. actual"/ perception is reality thing.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Four ounces may not sound like much but it is a significant difference. On my little flat-top, it would amount to a near 11% increase in weight and it's all on one end. A couple ounces here and there can have a dramatic effect on handling.

Dale53

Blackhawk
It is interesting that when Ruger only offered aluminum grip frames, just about all of us complained about the "pot metal" grip frames and that all would be "right with the world" if Ruger would just start making their revolvers with steel frames.

Now that we have steel Ruger frames, some of us are complaining about the weight. :roll:

I have a 5½" .44 Lipsey Special and a SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. They are both steel (as most of you know). When I am shooting them, I MUCH prefer the steel. When carrying, not so much.

However, I am willing to pay the price in weight and if faced with a choice I'll go steel.

The nice thing, today, is if our pocket books will allow, we can have our personal preference and THAT IS GOOD! :p

I guess that the ideal situation is we could have one steel one for range use and an aluminum gripped frame for carrying (talk about "excess" :mrgreen:).

FWIW
Dale53

DerekR

Bearcat
All good points guys. I appreciate the input. I am in the process of weighing each of my centerfire pistols on a digital postal scale. I am weighing them loaded, as they would be carried on the hip. The surprising thing is that, so far, there isn't a HUGE difference between them. My NMBH with steel gripframe and ERH and .45 acp cylinder in place is very close in weight to my Springfield 1911 with 8 rounds. Even the 50th .357 is close. But I gotta admit, that 50th .357 feels heavy as a rock!

Derek

CraigC

Hawkeye
Dale53":1nstauhf said:
However, I am willing to pay the price in weight and if faced with a choice I'll go steel.
Me too, unfortunately when I had mine built the only steel grip frames were of the XR3-RED pattern. I wasn't giving up my XR3 just to have steel. Now that things are a little different, my next custom Old Model will sport a Power Custom SAA grip frame. Aluminum is lighter but steel balances better!

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I bought my Blackhawk back in 1975. Around 1992 or so I picked up a Vaquero. Both have the same basic specifications, 45 Colt with 7 1/2" barrels. But the Blackhawk has the aluminum gripframe and ejector rod housing, they are steel on the Vaquero. I have never put them on a scale to compare them, but when I got the Vaquero home and compared it to the Blackhawk, I was amazed how much heavier the Vaquero felt.

dougader

Hunter
Hey, you guys... it wasn't my question. I was just the first one to answer. :)

I have Rugers both ways, and I agree four counces doesn't sound like much but you sure feel it when you hold them side by side... or carry one on your hip all day.

I also agree that steel frames are nicer when shooting, and the alum frame for carrying. Its all about trade-offs... and in the end which you prefer.