Grip Tape For my P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LightnerZ

Bearcat
I am new to the forum (and guns in general) and had a question about my P95 gip. I have seen some sleeves that will fit but part of my problem is that my hands sweat pretty regularly and have read that those grips don't do much for that issue. I read in another forum that some people use skateboard grip tape and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

If anyone uses this tape or has any experience with it what is the best type to use.... and exactly how did you apply it (Pics please)

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
I too would be interested in this, anything to try and correct the problems im having! please let me know if you do it how it turns out. Include some pics too!

jhearne

Buckeye
I've seen a few people "stipple" their gripframe, take a hot soldering iron and lightly press it into the frame creating little craters in it. Once your done, and if done properly, it looks really good, as for the effects on it's actual grip, I can't say.

TruthNotRelative has done quite a few mods to his P95, here a shot or two of the stippling he did. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your pics TNR!!
Link to thread, 5th post
Sidee2.gif

Back3.gif

Josh

LightnerZ

Bearcat
Josh thanks for supplying the pictures. That does look like it would be effective. I am however, much to lazy to take the time for something like that. I also would worry that I'd screw it up and be pretty screwed.

jhearne

Buckeye
LightnerZ":2wv66t0d said:
Josh thanks for supplying the pictures. That does look like it would be effective. I am however, much to lazy to take the time for something like that. I also would worry that I'd screw it up and be pretty screwed.

Yeah it takes the right person to do some of the things I've seen posted on RF.com. As for other grip options there are rubber sleeves you can get from Hogue, or you can get grip tape which is essentially skateboard deck tape. As for instructions on cutting/applying, I don't have any answers there.

Josh

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I've seen lots of things talked about here over the years. Carpet tape, skateboard tape, etc. I use part of a bike inner tube.

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
I tried the innertube approach but it seemed even smoother than the stippling.

I sure dont have the patients for the soldering approach, but some grip tape on the front and back might help, Or some of those grip strengthners. You know what you squeeze for hand strength, they might fix my limp wrists lol!

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Mr Bango, try the inner tube again, this time inside out, and see if that works.

buster cat

Bearcat
Skateboard tape is the way to go. Pretty simple to apply. Make a pattern from thin cardboard for the area you want to cover. Use the pattern to mark the outline of the grip area on the skateboard tape. Cut out the new skateboard grip with a utility knife.

Skateboard tape without a finish on it is a little rough on holsters, belts, shirts or any other clothing that it comes in contact with. so before you place it on the gun spray the skateboard tape with rattle can paint. usually takes about three coats to kill the abrasive feel of the tape but still give a firm grip area.

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
SteveSatch":ffis8295 said:
Mr Bango, try the inner tube again, this time inside out, and see if that works.

Tried it, just as smooth either side. I have a new grip im gonna test in a few hours and will report back, otherwise i may look into the grip tape

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I know there's a carpet tape people were talking about years ago on this forum that they really liked.

outofammo

Bearcat
I have one of the older ones that had the totally smooth grip, and I have the hand-all but didn't like the extra size when carrying. My solution was to stipple the grip frame with a soldering iron. I love the feel of it now and it was not hard to do, just a little time consuming.

i6y0ig.jpg

2wnpjba.jpg

Since the pics were taken I have also rounded off the trigger guard like on the newer model as well.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Lighner2,

HITTMAN hit it on the head when he said "If you haven't tried a Hogue Hand-all, they're super cheap. Wouldn't discount one until I tried it."

Got one on my P95....and my 22/45....
Great traction in rain and snow.

Cheap price is right, will not only look better than tape....will work better too!

HIGHLY recommend trying one before using tape!

RugerDW88

Bearcat
the stippling looks great. before i would try it though im thinkin im gonna find something to practice on. just so i dont mess my grip up

RugerDW88

Bearcat
got a hogue handall today and gotta say i love the feel. adds some size to the grip but i think it feels much better in the hands. would recommend to fellow p95 owners weary of stippling their grips

LightnerZ

Bearcat
I also put a Hogue grip on my P95 and I agree with everyone who has built them up. They do make the grip bigger but I think it feels more natural. I highly recommend it.