Grip Panels (Again) For Lipsey's 45LC/45ACP Flattop?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
Hi There,

I'll have a Lipsey's 5½", 45LC/45ACP, stainless Blackhawk Flat-Top on its way to me, shortly. I'm keeping an open mind about the faux ivory grip panels, but, I suspect I'll want to replace them with wood.

I think that revolver will deserve something nice.

Maybe something like these Hogue's

1622409334.800x800.jpg

I have large hands (wear XL gloves, usually), so more "palm-filling" grips would be advantageous.

I came across Eagle Grips. They appear to have quite a selection. What's the verdict on their products?

I really like these:
ruger-xr3-red-genuine-rosewood-gunfighter-ii-grips-smooth.jpg

Product page: Ruger XR3-Red GENUINE ROSEWOOD Gunfighter II Grips - SMOOTH

Though (surprise!) I'm a bit confused about the whole "what frame will I have?" question, so I'm not sure these would fit soon-to-be-my gun.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Grips are as personal as underwear so nothing but trying a few really works .
My only suggestion to you would be if you have big paws look at flat bottom grips and forget the tapered ones. Really makes a lot of difference and gives a better place to put your pinkie.

Have a good look at them for sure but the fake ivory or the black checkered plastic grips do nothing for me. Wood for sure.

contender

Ruger Guru
In general,,, most stainless guns seem to look nicer with a contrasting color of grips. Such as darker wood on stainless or an ivory look on a blued gun.
And as noted,,, flat bottom edged,,, vs the tapered edge grips do help the fit for many with larger hands.
Another note,, an even larger set of grips can be had from a custom maker. Extended length has helped many shooters.
While I do not have any grips by them,,, Eagle does seem to offer some nice stuff. When I want something other than factory,, I just make my own, OR,,, I have been known to buy some other custom sets,,, such as sheep horn,,, or exotic wood etc.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Why not get some made for your gun just the way you want/need them. No guarantee after market grips will fit the gun our your hand properly.

http://rowencustomgrips.com

http://www.lonestarcustomgrips.com

Enigma

Hunter
There are a couple of highly talented grip makers that are members of this forum. Take a look here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=42

PVT Schultz has made a couple of very nice sets for me; reasonable prices and quick turnaround.

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, gents!

Snyd, I don't know about lonestar, but rowen is way out of my price range.

nvbirdman, Looked at Altamont. Nothing there was blowing my skirts up. Nice prices, though.

Enigman, 41magnum has some nice stuff, and at a lower price point than what I was looking at from Eagle. I think I'll have to drop him a line.

DHD

Single-Sixer
BrotherInArms said:
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, gents!

Snyd, I don't know about lonestar, but rowen is way out of my price range.

nvbirdman, Looked at Altamont. Nothing there was blowing my skirts up. Nice prices, though.

Enigman, 41magnum has some nice stuff, and at a lower price point than what I was looking at from Eagle. I think I'll have to drop him a line.

I have custom grips/stocks for every Blackhawk I own. The more expensive makers will want a tracing of your hand and maybe some of the less expensive makers too. I can tell the difference between a set that were made to my hand tracing obviously, but I just received my set made by James (41 Magnum) and he did a fine job. They are flat bottomed, on the larger size, and not expensive in comparison to some I have had made.

I would have agreed about contrasting colors for grips and revolvers until James made my set out of Holly for a Stainless 4 5/8" Blackhawk. They look fantastic new and will enjoy waiting for them to age and darken.

Do yourself a favor and send your grip frame if you get a set made (and do yourself a favor and get a set made).

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
DHD said:
I have custom grips/stocks for every Blackhawk I own. The more expensive makers will want a tracing of your hand and maybe some of the less expensive makers too. I can tell the difference between a set that were made to my hand tracing obviously, but I just received my set made by James (41 Magnum) and he did a fine job. They are flat bottomed, on the larger size, and not expensive in comparison to some I have had made.
I've been in contact with James. Tho I sent him a follow-up, with a link to some photos, day-before-yesterday and have yet to hear back from him.

In the communication I received from him, he suggested flat-bottomed grips like old model Blackhawks had would probably suit me. He mentioned pictures, but, no references, so I'm not certain what I'm looking for?

Hand-tracing is an interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that.

DHD said:
Do yourself a favor and send your grip frame if you get a set made (and do yourself a favor and get a set made).
I may get a set (two, actually) made, but, while I appreciate the advantage, I almost certainly won't be sending bits of my revolvers away.

James indicated he had frames from which he could work.

Thanks for the follow-up!

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Just my .02 but I think you would be disappointed with any of the "gunfighter" style grips, if you have large hands. if you look closely at the picture you posted, you'll see a concave section midway between the grip screw and top of the grip. this style is considerably thinner than a standard grip. I personally do not care from them. I like a thicker grip on my single actions

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
48flyer said:
Just my .02 but I think you would be disappointed with any of the "gunfighter" style grips, if you have large hands. if you look closely at the picture you posted, you'll see a concave section midway between the grip screw and top of the grip. this style is considerably thinner than a standard grip. I personally do not care from them. I like a thicker grip on my single actions
Hmmm... I selected that particular one, as an option I was considering, because the description reads:
Our Ruger Gunfighter II Grips are slightly thicker than standard GUNFIGHTER series, providing excellent control for shooters with a slightly larger hand.

(Looks more closely...)

Ah, I see what you're saying. All the "Gunfighter" grips are thinner than standard, to start with. So a "thicker" gunfighter grip is likely no thicker than a stock grip?