Grip Frame Swap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WARD

Single-Sixer
Would someone direct me to a good discussion of swapping grip frames. I would like to change my 32 H&R's birds head for a regular grip frame.

Thanks
Ward

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Should be pretty easy swap using a Single Six grip frame. If it's stainless and you are going to a stainless grip frame any fitting can be polished back out.

I would make sure that the upper ears on the grip frame are tall enough for the back of the cylinder frame. I put birdshead grip on my 32 and had to take the ears down. My old grip frame off the 32 would not fit my new singe six (with the lock) as the ears on the grip frame are not tall enough.

The newer model Single Sixes have the lock, so if you get one of those you will need the lock, strut and spring.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Ward,

Here is a link to a thread about swapping out a bisley grip frame. everything should apply to what you're wanting to do.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27725

You may already know this, but I'm going to throw it out there. Ruger does not "fit" aluminum grip frames to individual guns. I'm not saying that you can't fit them, just that Ruger doesn't bother w/ it. Swapping an aluminum grip frame would be rather easy. Just replace the birds head with the aluminum one, check for function, and you can leave it at that.......Or you can continue to "fit" the frame.

Ruger DOES fit steel grip frames to individual guns.

Why do I bring this up? because it's possible that if you buy a used steel grip frame, the "ears" may be too low (from previous fitting at the factory) and fitting it to your cylinder frame might be troublesome.

just a few things to consider.

~c.r.

Ward,
This is from a post in the classified.
What I have found is there are two sizes of grip frames. The older pre Bisely and the newer GUN FRAMES. All of the later model grip frames should fit your SS
Yea the anodized alum frames were not fitted because it would screw up the anodizing.
I have swapped around a few and they all seem to work out OK.
Jim
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:48 am Post subject: FS Steel Dragoon (Super) Grip Frame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

I have a like new NEW MODEL Dragoon grip frame. I have installed a flatgate/Carl thingie in it. This will allow it to work in new and old models. The thingie is made of steel and blued.

The good news is it came off an EARLY NEW MODEL Super so it will not be to tall for the Old Models or early New Models.

Some of you my not know that there are two sizes of NM grip frames. I don't know what year they changed. The later one are the taller.

Here are some dimensions from the mounting base to the top of the ears.

1.072 is this Dragoon NM

1.072 XR3-RED

1.072 Steel Old Army

1.110 New Model XRN-3RED 10. I think the taller ones started with #8 casting.

Want $150 for it and I will pay shipping.

Thanks,

Jim

G2

Hunter
Good idea you have there, :D a couple of my .32's w/ changed out GF's.

3ruger32s.jpg