Grip frame replacement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have a fairly nice 4 digit 3 screw, but the grip frame is messed up. I also have a take off frame from a prefix 3 screw.

If I put the prefix frame on the 4 digit will it take away from the "originality" of the 4 digit?

Are there different markings from early on to later on?

The maintain it's originality make sure you replace it with the same type as you remove, IE, XR3 with a XR3 or XR3-RED with a XR3-RED. Look here for some additional information on the various grips. http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

contender

Ruger Guru
FM is correct. Use the same type of g/f. Many folks have given a facelift to an otherwise nice gun by doing the same thing.

street

Hunter
You didn't say which 3 Screw revolver you have. If it's a Single-Six, .357 Blackhawk, .44 Mag. Blackhawk, then your grip frame is a XR3. If it's a Super Single-Six, or .41 Mag. Blackhawk then your grip frame is a XR3-RED. Within the two grip frames there are variation and you need to do some research to determine which grip frame you need. One place to start is with the RENE. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30544

street

Hunter
What is a prefix eared sight version? I have not heard that term used before. Do you mean Flattop?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Depending on the 1st # of the 4 digit serial #, the correct XR3 grip frame for authenticity could be the vintage with the large or small size ALCOA G cast in it. So you'll need to measure the height of the ALCOA G on your original grip frame and get one to match.

FYI...Ruger calls the protected sight the "ribbed" sight, but either gets the point across.

street

Hunter
Sorry! But when you said a 4 digit revolver, I just didn't think you were talking about a digit prefix gun. I would think only the New Model revolvers would be considered having a 4 digit serial number as they are a new and a different model. Because the digit prefix Old Model guns are just a continuance of the original Old Models and only the very first guns in the 50s and in the 60s, in the case of the .41 Magnum and Super Single-Six, would have a 4 digit serial number. Sorry I just got confused on your terminology.

Latest posts