Grip frame ideas for my custom OM flattop 44sp. conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I'm a gunsmithing student in Trinidad, Colorado and I built myself a new toy. I converted an OM 357 to a 4-5/8" octagonal barreled 44 sp. I color case hardened the frame and have a gorgeous piece of Circassian walnut from a $2800 stock blank to make some grips and maybe a knife handle out of. I modified the aluminum grip frame to a different shape since the frame was dinged up anyway. I really want some more weight in the back end of the gun so am looking at brass if I can still get a frame or steel if possible. I haven't played with an Old Army to know what it is like compared to a Colt SAA or the XRN X3 red. I know I'd have to modify it but that's no problem. I'm open to suggestions or sales of a new or used frame. When I get it done I'll post some pictures. I've only got 100 rounds fired so far but it shoots darn good. Now I have to make myself a holster and knife rig too.
Thanks for the input you guys.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
While I'm one of those collectors who wishes more of those OM's weren't chopped up & converted,, I will allow it is YOUR gun to do as you wish.
That said,, to add weight, a steel gripframe is an option,, as is aftermarket brass. You just have to do some internet searching and you can find one.
You may have to do a slight modification to any gripframe for the trigger return spring. It's an easy modification for someone in gunsmithing. There is even a tutorial done by Flatgate around here somewhere. It involves building a block of brass to hold the spring, and it's held in place with a pin that uses a hole already in the gripframe. Me personally, if I had already modified a gun as you have, it would have to be brass.

flatgate

Hawkeye
There are indeed lots of options! Ruger's Old Army grip frames were initially made from die cast aluminum but in the 1990's, IIRC, they were changed to investment cast steel with provisions for a wide, "Super Blackhawk" sized trigger.

The only Old Model steel grip frames are from the Super Blackhawks with their "square backed" trigger guard.

Adaption of a New Model grip frame to an Old Model is a simple task. Fabricate a "block" that fills the New Model trigger spring slot with a carrier that will accept the OM trigger spring and plunger assembly.

44617659.jpg

Drill the hole dead center for the OM trigger spring and plunger assembly.
Taper the rear of the adaptor for mainspring clearance.

I use the NM trigger spring "pivot pin" to retain the adaptor.

One can also take a "square backed" trigger guard Super Blackhawk grip frame and cut and reshape it to a round guard style....
333850203.jpg

The above image shows the reshaped trigger guard prior to rewelding.

flatgate

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Power custom OM XR3 or No 5 grip frames are an option.

I think they stilll list the brass XR3 for abotu $250 on their website.

the steel Old Army grip frame IS the XR3-RED.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Here is an Old Army grip frame fitted to a 357 Flattop conversion to 38 WCF. Below it a closeup showing Dave Clements wide trigger that properly fills the slot.

IdSp09_sixguns008.JPG

387.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Leave it to Ruger Forum to overload the poor guy with a zillion options.... :D

flatgate

PS Then there are the aftermarket and OEM brassies.....

112875649.jpg

Aftermarket "XR3-RED's"

52401191.jpg

OEM on the "3 screw", aftermarket on the New Model.... :D

flatgate

newrugersafan

Single-Sixer
Here is a grip frame made from a Powers Bisley back strap and a Powers colt front strap by Alan Harton.
Harton5Side.jpg

Mike

REP1954

Blackhawk
Heres a ROA steel grip frame fit to a OM Med frame. It retains the thin trigger but the grip frame has been welded up at the trigger opening and resized to that of the original opening used for this trigger.
45COLT2.jpg