GRIP FRAME COST?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WARD

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have an approximate cost of a new light weight grip frame?

Every place I've looked the light weight frame is not listed or priced.

I was thinking of installing it on my mini Vaquero that now has the birds head grip frame.

Thanks
Ward

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,,, it depends,,,,! If you are looking for a NM grip frame,, then it'll be cheaper than an OM gripframe. Depending upon which gripframe you want,, (NXR3-RED,, new XR3,, etc) costs run from about $50 & up in most cases for excellent condition ones. Then there are the stocks,,, at least $35 for plain rosewoods & up depending,,,!

Using an Old Model grip frame on a Mini Vaquero would be kinda difficult without some modifications to some parts.

Any of the New Model grip frames would be a bolt-on fix.

:)

WARD

Single-Sixer
I was mostly wondering what Ruger would charge for a new grip frame - I don't know where to look for a factory price on a new light weight grip frame. Grips themselves would not be a problem as I have the end covered.

Ward

flatgate

Hawkeye
www.brownells.com

Be advised that Ruger has changed the "mounting surface" dimensions since '05 and not all grip frames will "match up" to all cylinder frames. Usually one can "fit" them but, when working with the coated aluminum parts getting a nice finish match may be a problem.

JMHO,

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":2saukv0t said:
Can Ruger advise what fits what, and provide the proper match?

Unless one speaks with an assembler, I doubt it. The nuances of finding
"matching" cylinder frames and grip frames has gotten so complicated that it's getting rather difficult.....

JMHO,

flatgate

Well When you say light weight frame I assume you mean an Alum. one.
You don't need to waste your time calling Ruger because they do not sell the Alum. ones anymore.
The taller alum. grip frame started with the casting # 8 and above.
When the Bisley came out the Alum. grip frames have the taller ears on them. Since you can't buy any pre lock alum. frames it doesn't matter what they are. When Ruger was selling them they were $35 about two years ago.
Here are some dimensions from the mounting base to the top of the ears.

1.072 Brass Dragoon NM/OM

1.072 XR3-RED and XR3

1.072 Steel Old Army

1.110 New Model XRN-3RED 10. I think the taller ones started with #8 casting.
Except for the overall height all alum. RED frames will fit
Does anyone have an approximate cost of a new light weight grip frame?

Every place I've looked the light weight frame is not listed or priced.

I was thinking of installing it on my mini Vaquero that now has the birds head grip frame.

Thanks
Ward[/quote
So all the later pre lock Alum frames will worrk on your mini Vaquero/ Single-Six 32.

Jim

Didn't this correspond to a subtle change in the height of the main frame right at the point where the "ears" attach to match the grip frame . . . the area in question being "raised" a subtle amount to provide a smoother transition for the Bisley arrangement?

WARD

Single-Sixer
That is interesting.
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION

Do you suppose that anyone of the aluminum grips frames would likely give a reasonable fit on a 50th Anniversary Flat Top 357?

Ward

Denny

Single-Sixer
Check out the POwer frames at Brownells or Powers custom. They are similar in style to the Colt and would work for your project as they offer New Model ad Old Model. Not cheap but are nice. You will have to fit a set of Colt grips.