Greetings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Beast

Bearcat
Greetings all Ruger revolver fans, and other Ruger fans as well.

I currently own 4 Ruger firearms and have owned two others in the past also.

Currently, I own a 10/22, a MKII, which was unfired until a few months ago, and two Security series 357s, which is what I came here to discuss. But first, I'd like to tell you about my experiences with Ruger revolvers.

My first Ruger was a GP100 purchased in 1990-1991 time frame. Man I loved that gun. I used to dry fire it every night a couple of hundred times with each finger, thumb and pinky included! Naturally, I had to hold the gun upside down in my hand to dry fire it with my pinkie. I also tried to intentionally jam the action. And though I could get it to catch, all I had to do was let the pressure off and she was good to go. After about a year of that, I ordered some Wolf(e)? springs and a bright orange front sight from Millett (too bad this excellent front sight is no longer available). Wow, what a pistol! I was, and still am, convinced that if a guy could only have one gun to do it all for a lifetime, the GP100 in stainless steel was and is the THE GUN to have. Unfortunately, stupidity hit and I decided I had to have a Beretta 92FS. So, I sold my beloved GP100 to a super nice engineering student that I knew.

My second experience with a Ruger revolver was in 2003. I had sold all of my firearms to fianance college, and had just gotten a decent paying job. I walked into a pawn shop and their in the used gun cabinet was a stainless steel Security Six with a 4 inch barrel. I gasped when I saw the price of $225 b/c that was low even then. I quickly looked it over and saw that the muzzle was excellent, the barrel to cylinder gap tight, and the action functioned properly. I'll take, I said.

At first I was a little disappointed b/c it was not a GP100, and I even ordered and put on some Ruger target grips. However, I soon put back on its factory stocks and began to play with it in much the manner that I did with the GP100. I have to tell you, within the next few weeks I came to realize that the factory Security Six grip fit my hand better than any other grip I've ever held on any gun. And as I played with it and shot it, that Security Six became my all time favorite handgun!

A few years ago, however, things were looking lean and I decided that I had too many calibers. I didn't regret getting rid of any of them, except for the Security Six. Still, I had a plan, as my dad had asked to buy it from me since there had been attacks on the elderly in his neighborhood. I pretty much let him have it for nothing. Besides, I figured I'd get it back someday. Well, as luck would have it, my father has passed on, and my beloved Security Six has gone missing. I'm betting a male relative probably conned my dad out of it before he died, most likely the brother in law I can't stand. Oh well, what can one do?

Fast forward to last week. I was hitting the pawnshops like I always do when I entered one on the south side of my area. They had quite a few used revolvers, including a bunch of S&W model 65 police trade-ins. But I quickly spied a blued Speed Six! More important, it appeared to be in really good condition. Once I got my hands on it, I was amazed. The blueing was still perfect on the muzzle, there was a slight bit of blue missing on the edge of the barrel and on the outside edges of the cylinder, exactly where they'd be if it was kept in a holster. The backside of the cylinder, next to the bore, had the blueing rubbed off just on the edges. Finally, there was a spot of discoloration on the cylinder the size of a BB. Not rust, just discoloration. And naturally it had the thin, thin line around the cylinder. Everything else was perfect. Seriously, I doubt this Speed Six has had more than a box of ammo down it, if that many. $380 OTD and I was happy.

Well, darn if I didn't stumble on to a Security Six with a four inch barrel the next day! Man, I've been combing pawn shops in my area for several years now and never came up with any type of Security series firearms, and I find 2 Six series revolvers in a single week (actually 4, possibly more on the other two later).

Since I loved my 4 inch stainless so much, I contacted the seller of the blued model and went to look at it. In the picture, it looked to be a 97-98% gun. I showed up and quickly bought it. When I got it home and into natural light, I was surprise to see how much blueing had been worn off the cylinder's backside by the breach. Although this could be from overzealous cleaning. Furthermore, I took off the Herritt grips and got two surprises. First, about 60% of the blueing was gone off the back strap. I'm not sure if this was somebody resting their sweaty hand there, or if the Herritt grips wore the blueing off due to their lose fit? Secondly, it seems that I had purchased a 150 series gun.

Which brings me to one of the reasons I came here. One of the big loves I have for the Security series is how they fit in my hand with factory grips. The problem with the 150 series is that Ruger grips are hard to find for them and when you do it seems the seller wants quite a bit for them (somebody on gunbroker wants $100 for a set). This means I need to look at other solutions. Can anybody tell me if the Jay Scott grips (zebra stripe and faux stag) approximately follow the width and feel of the factory grips? Also, does anybody know or have pictures comparing the old model vs. new model grip frames and grips? Finally, does anybody know the front to back measurements along the bottom/butt of the grips b/t the old model and the new model? I ask b/c I came across some used grips online that were unmarked, but seem to have the "hump" (i'd call it more of a tail) of the old model. I measured the butt of my frame between 1 and 13/16ths and 1 and 7/8ths inches. Of course, I have a severe stigmatism and wear bi-focals, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions based on my eyesight. What's a new model grip frame butt measure? I'd really like to know just so I can ask the right questions should I ever come across a set of what might be factory old model grips online. Oh, and one other surprise, seems this 150 series gun's serial number ends in "666." Hence, my moniker "The Beast." LOL! :D

As for the other two guns I came across this week, one was a 4" stainless service six in .357. The problem is that the front sight was missing. And it was my understanding from talking to a gunsmith a few years ago, that the problem is that the sights must be handfitted, drilled and pinned. And that could cost in excess of $100. Throw in the intial cost of the gun for $300, the taxes, and the parts, and it became cost prohibitive to a guy like me to buy and have repaired.

The fourth was a stainless Security Six with a 2 and 3/4 inch barrel. Beautiful gun, but somebody had engraved their initials and SS number into it. However, I still considered it because a buddy has a bead blaster and I'd love to experiment with it. Oh well, grips for the 150 series first. :mrgreen:

For the record, before buying these two old Rugers, I'd been without a Ruger 357 for a long time, and I'd already made up my mind that if I was ever going to start collecting any particular type of gun, it would be Ruger Security Six series revolvers.

I can't wait to shoot them, and I can't wait to add more to my humble collection of two. Naturally, my holy grail will be another stainless, 4" Security Six, or maybe even two. And I'm already dreaming of adding a stainless Speed Six to it's blue brother. Of course I'll take all the models I can get.

Thanks for listening, it's getting late here, and I hope some of you can answer my questions over the next few days regarding the 150 series grips and what the better current alternatives/solutions are for my needs.

Thanks again, and goodnight ladies and gentlemen.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The GP series is an excellent gun,, but many folks have found that the "Six" series guns are more to their liking. I can't offer any help about grips for the 150 series except to say that due to the lower production, the prices for good grips are not cheap. As for aftermarket ones,, again, I'm no help. (I only have a few of the Six series DA guns, and none are the 150 series.) Maybe Terry T will see this post & chime in,,,, he's a good source of info on the Six series DA's.
Now, as for having a front sight for the Service Six,, it should NOT cost $100 to get one installed. Even if they had to build one from scratch.
The one with the "custom engraving" can be redone easily enough,,, so I'd consider it,, especially using the fact it has that stuff on it as a bargining chip in pricing.

The Beast

Bearcat
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Hey, you wouldn't know what a new front sight should cost, would you?

Thanks again.

The Beast

Bearcat
contender said:
Best bet would be to check Numrich gun parts about a front sight! Not sure of the costs!

I did that, the sight (stainless with a orange insert) and a blued pin is less than $15. However, I have no clue what a gunsmith would run. Seriously, I had a guy quote me at over a hundred bucks for one a few years ago. I guess I could call around. We'll see.

contender

Ruger Guru
Make sure you get the sight blade for the service six is the exact one you order. I'm thinking it is a different one than the Security-Six.

americal

Hunter
I have never owned a Ruger Security Six but if I were to collect DA rugers that would be my choice :) There have been some nice ones posted on the forum through the years :arrow: with some of them being RARE guns, also some fine ones have been for sale in the classified section 8)