Green Dot in 45ACP & 45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Finally had some time to get my new 4&5/8" convertible 45ACP/45Colt Blackhawk out to the range today. I first ran 100 rounds of Fiocchi 230gn ACP jacketed ammo to get the barrel a little bit worn in before I tried my SAA270 lead reloads in 45 Colt with 8 grains of Unique behind them.
I was wondering if I could get these two to shoot to about the same POA at short ~10 yard ranges. After getting the ACP loads dialed in the 45 Colt loads would group well, and about 1-2 inches higher at 10 yards, which I guess could be expected. Maybe if I bump up the load a bit more it may drop a little.

The Range officer at our club was helping some young fellows learn how to shoot their new 9mm polymer pistols. The young guys were trying to hit some shotgun clays that had been left in the sand on the 50 yard backstop. They were seldom coming within 2-3 feet of them. I had been working on groups and adjusting sights while shooting at a paper target at 10-15 yards, but apparently I also busted a few of their clays while doing it. After they had given up, I had used up all my factory 45ACP shooting paper and had switched cylinders to the 45 Colt - while shooting high it seemed to be grouping OK. I thought I'd try to intentionally hit some clay birds at the 50 yard backstop with that load.

I shot 2 cylinder's worth and tore up all the sand in a tight circle right around two clays, but didn't bust either of them. Well, it was the first time to the range for this revolver that I had reamed the throats to proper size and getting it broken in&sights adjusted. My eyesight has also deteriorated due to the dreaded glaucoma so it ain't what it used to be. I am eager to load up some more and go back soon, except I am getting low on Unique - but I have a bunch of Green Dot now.

I know Green Dot can work pretty well with some 230gn LRN bullets I have for 45ACP, and some folks have used Green Dot with 255 gn lead bullets in 45Colt, but I haven't found any loads listed using Green Dot for the SAA 270 bullet (which weighs close to 280gn in the batch that I bought). Has anyone tried Green Dot with the SAA270 bullet?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I get good results with 7gr. GreenDot under a 255 gr.cast bullet in the .45 Colt.
I have not seen much data for GD in the ACP but I use a lot of Red Dot in the ACP with fine results.

Rclark

Hunter
The general rule for Green Dot is load it one grain less than Unique to match velocity. So if you are loading 8g Unique, 7g of Green Dot will close. 7g GD under 250-260g is my goto load for general purpose .45 Colt shooting. Will be fine for the heavier bullet.

I don't know if you have seen this on your particular bullet:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I get good results with 7gr. GreenDot under a 255 gr.cast bullet in the .45 Colt.
I have not seen much data for GD in the ACP With heavy bullets. Not saying it won't work but powder and bullet people who print data tend to avoid combinations that are not efficient. Pressure,velocity and accuracy all have to be reasonable before you will see loads listed for a particular combination.
I use a lot of Red Dot in the ACP with fine results but have not used any bullets over 230 gr. in the ACP. To seat a heavier than normal bullet to the load o.a.l. That will feed you will compromise the powder space and increase pressures drastically. I leave that kind of testing to the pros.

Thanks RClark - yes I have that article (one reason why I bought a batch of these bullets a while ago) and I actually subscribe to that magazine.
I haven't found any 45Colt loads with Green Dot and this bullet in any of my reloading manuals (have many), but I may give it a try with a few and a conservative ~7 grains. I've got at least 500 LRN 230gn bullets for 45ACP to load up with some Green Dot, too - I have a couple manuals with load data on that one.

This bullet shoots pretty nicely in both my Blackhawks, though so far I've kept those SAA270 bullet loadings pretty sedate with 8.0 - 9.0 grains of Unique.
I also like the CastPerformance bullet with just under 18gr of 2400 for a little flatter trajectory.

Have not used Green Dot, But Have Great Luck with Red Dot and Unique !!! Does Anyone Here Have a Good Recipe For 300 gr Hard Cast, 18 BHN, Bevel Base, No Gas Check For the 45 Colt ??? Hard to find Online !!! Thanks !!!

Latest posts