Greatest Mystery ever

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
At the risk of being flamed, I'm going to ask a question here that I've asked everywhere including the manufacturer (both the factory email and the CEO's private email)....
Does ANYONE have detail dis-assembly / reassembly experience and instructions for a Freedom Arms Mod. '97?
Normally, I have no problem with tearing down my guns but since these puppies are so expensive, I haven't had the courage to dis-assemble mine for thorough cleaning as yet in hopes of someone helping me out with some info. I know several of our forum members have intimate knowledge of these guns and would really appreciate any help possible. TKS, J.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Google is your friend.

http://www.freedomarms.com/Manual97-full.pdf

Looks like a normal transfer bar revolver.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks P-32, yes it does look normal but I noticed one thing (where there's one there may be more) that is a bit different that what I'm used to i.e. the main spring is not such that you can release its tension prior to loosening the grip frame screws. Note that there isn't a screw holding it in place like the Colt SAA's, nor is there a system like we are used to on the Ruger Blackhawk's main spring. So, right there I was hoping to find some info other than 'holding it really tight' while loosening the screws. Note the trigger spring and the bolt spring; they appear to ride in slots milled into the grip frame just in front of the trigger; I'm sure that positioning them for reassembly will not be a problem, but who really knows. I know that I'm way to anal for my own good; I guess I'll just wait till I get a few thousand rounds through it and then, just tear it apart. Hell, if I can't put it back together, I can always send it back to the factory and tell them my dog took ate it....:). THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE......J

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"...know that I'm way to anal for my own good..."

You know, with things like non-chlorinated brake cleaner aerosols or Ballistol 1:7 Moose Milk you can go a long time without really having to tear the thing down to a lost pawl spring situation. With patience, compassion and care these things can be treated.

Precision32

Blackhawk
The only way you learn is by doing.

I've got some BP pistols that have leaf hammer springs and no way to release the tension on disassembly.

Being "anal" is not always a "bad" thing. I was taking some job related training a few years ago. The instructor, a lady, tasked us with "coming up with something we did not have to be perfect at." Well, I must have a look on my face because she pigeonholed me as to what was on my mind.

"I reload ammunition as a hobby. I'm paying with compounds of nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose. I'm putting together something I'm going to touch off 2" in front of my face that has the potential to blow up. And I do this to relax.

"I don't know how girls are raised, I had a boy. I was taught from the time I was knee high to a grasshopper that if you have time to fix it, you have time to do it right the first time."

Every guy in the room said "Yea; what he said."

Just work slow, make sure you understand all that you do. Don't force anything and if you have questions, ask. Sometimes when I hit a roadblock I just back off, have a cup of coffee and pick it up again. We all start somewhere.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It doesn't appear by their manual that they want one to take them apart. No instructions in their manual in the posted link above:
http://www.freedomarms.com/Manual97-full.pdf

Maybe they're so good based on the price, or if one has to ask "how", they should only be flushed for cleaning. Or people who can afford them can afford someone else to clean them.

The best I could find was the disassembling experiences post here:
http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/212/freedom-arms-model-dis-assembly

Doesn't appear to be a mystery at all, just the usual mechanical ability and common sense.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Many thanks for all the responses......everyone it 'right on'. If I ever get the courage to strip it down, I'll let everyone know. In the meantime, my F/A's are just another 'pretty face' to take to the range. When it comes to needing a single action for real, it'll always be my Old Model Rugers........ When I was hunting, I always carried my .45 Blackhawk 4 5/8"...still have that baby and can strip it 'necked' and put it back together without a bazillion hidden springs and fancy crap to worry about surprising me... :)))

Latest posts