Grandson tagged out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yesterday was last day of MO regular deer season and Grandson was less particular than earlier in the season. It was a big bodied 6 point(had been an 8 point 10 days before) with a broken main beam that he'd seen and passed on last weekend. We moved him up to the 7mm08 that he's going to use for the NM elk hunt so he'd be more familiar with it but he gets a little trigger happy when he's alone. First shot with a 120 grain Ballistic Tip @ 75 yards went right in the lungs but as often happens, the buck made a wild death run. Second shot broke the spine and sealed the deal. Oddly enough, Grandson had a very similar scenario last year using my old 243. First shot killed the buck but neither shooter or shootee gave up until 2-3 more shots had been fired.
FWIW Bullet performance was excellent- even better than I expected. Full penetration of the big bodied buck at such close range by the 120 Nosler BT was a bit above and beyond. If you happen to be loading deer hunting ammo for a recoil sensitive shooter, this appears to be an excellent choice.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos to him! The 7mm-08 is an excellent round. I have one in an Encore bbl, (15") and I used to have a Remington rifle in it too.
I know you've already figured out a bullet/load combo,, so this may be a moot point.
Long ago, when I started working up loads for my Contender in 7x30 waters,, I tried the 140's & 150 grn bullets. With an eye towards eventually trying for elk. I settled on the 150 grn bullets, and since then,, a couple of truckloads of deer & an elk found out it was a deadly combination. The 7x30 & the 7-08 are similar enough to where it might be a good idea to look at the 150 grn bullets. I did the same thing for my 7-08. It too likes the 150's. JUST A THOUGHT!

Paul B

Hunter
"
Kudos to him! The 7mm-08 is an excellent round. I have one in an Encore bbl, (15") and I used to have a Remington rifle in it too.
I know you've already figured out a bullet/load combo,, so this may be a moot point.
Long ago, when I started working up loads for my Contender in 7x30 waters,, I tried the 140's & 150 grn bullets. With an eye towards eventually trying for elk. I settled on the 150 grn bullets, and since then,, a couple of truckloads of deer & an elk found out it was a deadly combination. The 7x30 & the 7-08 are similar enough to where it might be a good idea to look at the 150 grn bullets. I did the same thing for my 7-08. It too likes the 150's. JUST A THOUGHT!

I second the thought on use of the 150 gr. bullet. I shoot a 7x57 Mauser in a modern rifle, (Win. M70 and Ruger #1A) and I load for them using 7-08 data. (CAUTION: to be used in modern rifles only.) My load for elk with the 7x57 runs the 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2800+ FPS with excellent accuracy.
Paul B.