Grandma memories=update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBio

Buckeye
As many of you know, my maternal grandmother, Ruth Thelma Brady, was registered on the Dawes Roll as both a member of the Cherokee and Chickasaw Tribes. Her mother was a Kelly. The Brady Clan (aka Grady, O'Brady and O'Grady) was one of the High Clans (as such we supposedly have our own BeanSidh) and the Kellys were an affiliated clan and the largest Clan in Ireland. Several Kelleys came across on the Trail of Tears and fought with the Confederate General Stand Watie during the Civil War. Two Bradys rode with Quantrell and the James Boys in the Border Wars==one was hung by the North when he was captured.
So, I decided to do something to remember my grandmother: I had a custom Ruger Vaquero made. The barrel is a Colt 38-40, a custom cylinder engraved with Indian Tribal designs, big horn sheep grips by Patrick Grashorn. Case hardening and bluing by Tyler Gun works. The rifle is an 1892 Winchester, also in 38-40, with Indian motif engraving, and case-hardening by Tyler. The rifle is a rare take-down, short rifle. Bowie knife is a Bark River Bowie with a big horn handle. Conchos are authentic Indian Head pennys from 1888 thru 1902 or so. Leather work is de-constructed El Paso Saddlery, re-sewn with animal sinew and re-dyed. Marshals badge is a reproduction Indian Territory badgs. Watch fob is a Masonic, early 20th Centure fob. Hat band is tea-dyed real bone horn-pipe. The capote is made from two authentic Hudson Bay blankets: one pre 1900 and one pre-1800. The pack saddle is from a local guiding service and dates back to the 1800's.

https://ibb.co/fkR1D7
https://ibb.co/bKbuGS
https://ibb.co/dJwfZk
https://ibb.co/k7o50Q
https://ibb.co/e18G75

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE COMMENTS! The pictures of the Ruger are from an earlier incarnation==I was using a different belt and conchos.

It took me several years to track down the info above. My mom was born in California during the 1920's. At that time there was little prejudice against most groups EXCEPT Indians. She even dated the grandson of Pio Pico, last Mexican governor of Cali. Each ethnic group just went their separate ways. But, my grandmother was a "dust bowl Oakie" and always told "Shhhh Don't tell anyone you are part Indian". I started searching and got lucky a few times (several family members came west at the same time and all lived in the same neighborhoods). My maternal grandfather was Cornish (born in Cornwall) and got into trouble (he worked for Mickey Cohen and spent time in Folsom)==that has been a dead end except for some birthday cards to my mom from prison.

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
BearBio: Your collection is just really something. I use get to see things like these back when I was Young. And Mr Davis was still alive and had His Gun Collection in His Hotel, in Claremore Oklahoma. His Hotel was just a Magical Place, filled with unique and excotic Treasures. And many of them were from the Civil War and from the Indian Nations. And there were also some of the best Story Tellers of all time that came from all over that gathered in the lobby of Mr Davids Hotel to tell their unbelievable stories. According to my family`s Dark History and Old Stories, My Great Grandfather rode with Quantrill and Anderson and also Frank & Jessie James and the Youngers Brothers. It was always told that He rode into Lawrence Kansas and Centralia Missouri with them and was a willing part of that. And it was also told that My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother had a close personal relationship with Myra Belle Shirley ((( Belle Starr ))) and Her family in both early Missouri and later in Oklahoma. My Grandfather confirmed that many times. It seemed that Oklahoma at that time was a magnet for men with Hard Unsavory Reputations that were running from the Law and looking for a place just to live. Again IMHO You have something to very proud of. And I really enjoyed Your picture.
ken

RSIno1

Hunter
Very nice. Traced wife's grandfather back to the Dawes rolls. She is part Shawnee but in 1908 they were transferred to the Cherokee tribe.

BearBio

Buckeye
The Cherokee and maybe the Chickasaw, had a very liberal adoption policy, often adopting slaves from other tribes, runaway black slaves, captured and married whites, etc. Then the Eastern Tribes separated from the Western Tribes, along with one or two other offshoots. An internal rebellion lead by (or against, depending on POV) John Ross and a lot of inter-marriage when gold was discovered in the Georgia hills.

A few, like my grandmother, became "Black Irish" or "Black Dutch" because they were lighter skinned with Irish or German ("Dutch") names. The story that the "Black Irish" were Spaniards washed ashore from, the Armada is false==any who survived to reach land were robbed and killed or robbed and enslaved.

Armybrat

Buckeye
What a fine tribute to your grandmother! A one of a kind set that would shine in any quality collection. Love the Vaquero and its Grashorn grips.
Thanks for sharing it all with us.

My great grandfathers, both sides of the family, served with the Missouri Volunteers (Union) during the Civil War. One was from NW Missouri (Maryville), the other from the SE part of the state (Farmington).

Maybe one of them traded lead with yours. :mrgreen:

Latest posts