GP100 TALO Grip Change

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I wish Ruger would make different size grips for the GP100. I have smaller hands and Love the looks of the Hogue grips (wood) but they are way to big for my hands. It makes the length of pull to long for me to shoot comfortably.

I just picked up my GP100 TALO with the unfluted cylinder and Hogue grips. I Love this model and the way it looks. So when I received it I took the grips off and they went straight to the sander in the Garage. I like a 686 because the back strap is equal to the back of the grips for a shorter LOP.

I ground the GP100 grip so that the rear of the grip is even with the back of the revolver frame. Then I ground the sides down to really shrink the grip way down in width. The problem that I found out with the Hogue grip is when you are grinding it down that thin or small that in the palm swell back area there are pins and JB Weld Wood slots in there. The pin is steel. There is also a big gap under the top of the rear part of the frame on the grip. I had to use JB Weld Wood to fill the pin hole up and to fill the gap of the top of the grip.

The grip fits me great now, it is not perfect in looks with the JB Weld filling the gap but very comfortable to hold. I am pleased with it and happy to show what it has turned out to be. Anyway wish Ruger and or TALO/Hogue would make some grips like these.

Here is what it looked like from the factory.

Here she is now after the alterations.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I too have smaller hands and found the factory Hogue grips uncomfortable, as well as ugly. I replaced them with the original rosewood and rubber grips which I both fit my hands well and are visually appealing in my opinion.

Jim

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Jim,
I looked at those grips and they do look like they would fit my hand well. I really love the look and feel of wood grips though. I am happy with these grips so far but if I change my mind those will be my next prospect. Thanks