GP100 Shimm Kit and Spring Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Ok guy's

I have a new GP100 that I really like the double action on. I can stage the trigger very easily. But I would not mind a lighter trigger pull, so I ordered the wolf spring kit for it. I should I say getting ready too. My question is will this effect the two stage trigger pull where staging the cylinder before firing is hard to do ? Also I have read about the shim kits. This allows you to center the hammer and trigger to smooth out the trigger pull. Anyone have any experience with the Shim Kit ?

This is a range revolver only or also woods walk gun. But range steel plate shooting mostly.

Thanks in advance for any information.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
I installed springs and shims on my wife's GP-100 and my super redhawk. We noticed a improvement In both triggers, but it was more significant on my SRH. I also broke out the dremel and polishing compound and did some work on the internals when I had them apart. I installed 8lb trigger on the gp and 10 lb on my SRH and used 12 lb hammer springs on both. As for staging the trigger, we hunt with these revolvers and we both concentrate on a smooth consistent trigger pull so not much help there. Installation of the shims wasn't to bad, hardest part was getting everything lined back up on installation, I say do it and shoot it if you don't like the out come you can always change it back.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
recummbant,
I do not want to change the two stage trigger pull. But if I can lighten it up a bit I would not mind that. Plus I never had a really great trigger on a range revolver, always factory. Plus I am a tinkerer and just can not leave somethings alone.

rob-c,
Thanks for the report. I also put a spring kit into my Redhawk, not a big difference but did lighten it up a little. I believe I will install both shims and springs. Like you said if I don't like it I can always go back. I probably won't polish the internals except for the shims before install. That way if it changes anything I don't like I can put it back.

Ron IL

Bearcat
When I got my GP100 the single action trigger was 3 lb 12 oz. I put the 12 lb hammer spring in and the 10 lb trigger spring. Now the single action trigger is 2 lb 11 oz. I polished some parts also. The hammer showed a little scuffing on one side so I polished the sides on a flat ceramic stone. Scuff didn't come back so I didn't bother with the shims. I didn't measure the double action so don't know how that changed. But staging is is very smooth and distinct. Other people shooting it really like how the trigger works. I do double action once in awhile and it is easy to feel when it locks in.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Ron IL,
Thanks for the reply. I would think that since the GP100 MC has shims on the trigger and the hammer that they can not be a bad idea. Should get them in the some time before or around Friday. So next weekend they all should be installed.

Barbarosa

Single-Sixer
jstanfield103 said:
Ron IL,
Thanks for the reply. I would think that since the GP100 MC has shims on the trigger and the hammer that they can not be a bad idea. Should get them in the some time before or around Friday. So next weekend they all should be installed.
I don't think my MC has shims, it cou
D be better. My blued half lug with Roper grips is smoother.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I was not sure either if the MC came with shims. But after reading you're post I did some checking and they say that it is shimmed. I would Love to see some internals on the Match Champion on YouTube or a website. That would be real interesting.

When I bought my GP100 went to the dealer and the only one they had was a Match Champion. It was nice but I wanted the 6" TALO edition with the unfluted barrel so I really did not pay any attention the MC. I just had them order the one I was looking for. I figyred that I would do a Trigger job.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Well guy's

I received the shims and springs today. Also received my new Altamont grips (rubber that looks like the Lett Ruger Grips). The trigger and hammer shims were both .005 and .003 two of each for the hammer and 2 of each for the trigger. I tried the .005 on the trigger, they would not fit. So the trigger and the hammer both would only take the .003 shims. On the hammer the .003 barely would fit. This revolver is really pretty well put together. I put the 10 pound hammer spring and the 8 pound trigger return spring in.

Now the trigger is very smooth and feels almost to light. I will be able to get her out to the range either Sat or Sunday. If I get any light strikes I will put the 12 pound hammer spring back in.

It feels really light so it will be interesting on the test. But right now the trigger is really good.

The Lett style grips look and feel great. They fit my small hands perfect. Pictures will come.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Thel,
Thanks, did not know that. I took her out today just to see if she would fire ok. Ran two cylinders through her before date night with the wife. No problems. Man that trigger work really made a difference. At 25 yards had no problems hitting my plates. Started at the 12" and worked down to the 4" before I had to quit. No misses and all were in double action except the first shot. Felt great and really happy with it. Hopefully tomorrow I can put it on paper and double check the sights, but they appear to be right on.