Gp100 range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I have been away from Rugers for a while now. Decided to go back to the gp100. Picked up a nib 178 series serial number in 4 inch blue today.

Is it just me or did ruger up their game a bit on these? The double action was smooth no grit or heaviness. Trigger face was smooth no sharp edges that needed to be contoured.

Hammer edges smooth.

Cant say enough for that trigger. I was expecting to have to work on it. I am going to leave it be for now.

Shot 30 rounds 38 special and that full lug made them feel like 22lr no recoil to speak of.

30 round 357 was noticeable but not unpleasant at all.

The sights were dead on from factory.

My only regret is I should have gone with 6 inch barrel. Dont know why I went against my instincts. I prefer the 6 inch barrel but just didnt want to hunt one down. Lol

First time I have had buyers remorse over a hand gun.

This 4 inch is super nice to handle, points easy and doesn't seem heavy in the hand at all.

I know I am going to find a 6 inch them have to go through the hassle of selling this one.

Lol

Great revolver cant qait to have more time and see how it will do at 25 yards or more.

wolfee

Blackhawk
It seems to me that, yes, they are doing a better job with fit and finish. I got a 4" full lug, blued that always gets at least a brief workout when I go to the range. A little over a thousand rounds thru it and the trigger has become smooth enough that I wouldn't think about having it worked on. I do have a problem with the overly sharp diamonds on the hammer. Have to tape my thumb before I shoot the thing. Skin on metal doesn't seem to polish the diamonds very fast!

I had one of those from back in the mid 80's. Needed money and sold it! Seller's remorse big time! KEEP IT! I would buy it from you, but have a fixed income so extra dollars don't come easy. Try it at 100 yds!
gramps

silverback

Blackhawk
Will my compulsive self forced me to get a 6 inch to do comparison. I will be in next week.
Cant wait to get both side by side and make my own real world decision.

Christmas to myself
Lol

Eliminator

Bearcat
silverback said:
Will my compulsive self forced me to get a 6 inch to do comparison. I will be in next week.
Cant wait to get both side by side and make my own real world decision.

Christmas to myself
Lol

Congrats on both. I have both as well and prefer the four inch. However, my favorite is the 5" half lug. Love the balance, handling, barrel length, and feel.

contender

Ruger Guru
Long ago,, I bought a Security-Six. Loved them. Got a few others. I handled a few GP-100's over the years that followed,, and never felt the "need" to get one.
Well, I handled a Match Champion,, and decided I had to have one. I got that one,, and loved it. When a chance to buy another GP fell on me,, I thought; "Hey, buy it, have the cylinder cut to accept moon clips & use it for a competition gun." Well, due to the second one being offered to me at a time I was a little weak,, I didn't read the details,, and instead of a 4" it came in and was a 6" gun. And it won't fit my competition holster. Well, along came the MC in 10mm. problem solved. I now have a 6" that is sweet,,, but no real "need" for it. But,, I'll keep it,, just because it is a 6" & if I need a longer bbl,, I have it. (I also put MC grips on the 6" one. Love those grips!)

scubadad

Bearcat
Got me a 6in ss gp a few weeks ago. Only put a few rounds thru it but so far so good. Have a family shoot planned for thanksgiving so I will up the round count.