GP100 or Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Area 51

Bearcat
I want one but dont know which one. Ive given both a test drive and liked them both very much.

The use for them? Primarily range gun and maybe...maybe as a home defense.

Which ever one i get will be blued to give everyone an idea of maybe the price range i'm aiming for. Stainless is nice...but i like blued better.

And of course it would be chambered in .357 mag

Also as much as I'd like to get both I can't. This would probably be the only gun purchase of the year :( due to funds. But maybe that'll change.

I would just like some imput on my decision. If anyone had to pick...which one would it be?

Thanks

actionflies

Bearcat
I would go with the GP100. The grip angle of the GP100 is a lot easier to shoot than the blackhawk. I just think it takes more descipline to shoot a Blackhawk (grip angle, long trigger action). You should look into getting a convertible model so you can shoot 9mm.

Given your stated use, the GP100 is the clear choice. The Blackhawk is a fine revolver for casual shooting and hunting but has drawbacks for home defense. Slow reloading is the big concern as is slow rate of fire for repeat shots. A GP100 with several speedloaders would give you the option to keep the gun unloaded and be able to quickly load and fire if needed. I sometimes travel to an area where I'm not allowed to carry concealed or even carry loaded magazines for a cased and locked handgun. A cased Security Six and 6 speedloaders in a toolbag goes with me when I stay overnight at a house I'm working on. Once inside, it's legal to load and carry it.

Single-Sixer
I'm lucky enough to have both and I couldn't bring myself to choose one of them to live without. I think if you're looking at defensive use at all then the GP-100 wins out simply due to speed of use and loading. Both would serve well in any use with a slight edge to the GP-100. Buy the GP this year and the Blackhawk next year. If money is really tight then get the Blackhawk now as it's cheaper.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
For home defense use the GP-100 is the absolutely clear choice. Faster to fire an MUCH faster to reload.

As a range or hunting gun, either would be good but for HD use, the GP-100 without question.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
The GP100 is a great all around gun. Mine has a 6" barrel, i like the extra sight radius. I agree a single action takes more time to shoot well. Good advice here.

leejack

Single-Sixer
I fully understand the logic of the home defense advantage going to the GP100.

Just my preference, but I'd take a Blackhawk. I've made that very decision, more than once.

Lee

Area 51

Bearcat
thanks for all the replys. im a bit surprised to hear it takes time to shoot a SA well. i thought i did ok when gave it a try. then again i only put 18 shots of 38 spl. through it...

about the convertible blackhawk. ive read mixed reviews on it saying 9mm is so-so coming out of a blackhawk. is this really true? other than that though id love one. i have a good amount of 9mm in my possession. also, is there a difference between a regular blackhawk and the convertible blackhawk? or are they the same and one just comes with the 9mm cylinder?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
If you shoot at an indoor range and have to rent a lane, the double action will also allow you to get your shooting in quicker as loading and unloading a single action is so slow.

I just picked up my first GP100 a week or so ago and they really are nice pointing guns. I am not sure but I may sell my 357 Blackhawk as my brother wants it.

Both are great guns but for the reasons everybody else posted as well as the ease of loading and unloading the GP100 is a better choice of the two for me at least for a 357.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
The 9mm uses a slightly smaller bullet dia. .356 compared to the .357 which is mostly .358. Dia. Don't own one but would like to hear what others have to say about it also. Have the .45LC/.45ACP convertible BH and it comes with the extra cylinder. I think bullet dia. is .451 and .452 on those? The recoil is more straight back on double action revolver as opposed to a rolling recoil on a single action, for me at least, I find it easier to get back on target, and keep a consistent grip, with the straight back recoil of a double action.

maxpress

Buckeye
i can empty a blackhawk as fast as a gp100 with good hits. it is much slower to reload though. i find that i and most people that i have seen shoot both are more accurate with a blackhawk though. of course this makes little difference on a man sized target at most deffensive ranges.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
While one may shoot the GP SA, one will never shoot the Blackhawk DA.

I own two 4" GP100s (okay, I still got that 7.5" 357 Redhawk, too, but I can shoot it DA also).

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I shoot a single action better than a double action. You are going to have to practice either way, if you don't practice speed loader loads then they won't help in stressful situations.

Get what you are going to practice with and shoot. Get what really talks to you as that is the one you will take out and shoot. There has been quite a few discussions on using a single action for self defense. I don't think you will find very many times (if any) where more than 6 rounds were needed.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Get what really talks to you as that is the one you will take out and shoot.
As impossible it is for me to argue against the overall practicality of a good DA revolver for multi-purposes, including self-defense, the one that "talks to me" is a single-action. And that's the way it is.

DogBone

Bearcat
Get whichever one speaks to you!

If it was PRIMARILY SD or HD, I would say get the GP100 for the DA.

But for a range gun, what's not to love about the classic lines of the SA Blackhawk. And especially in a .357. An absolute classic!

And I've seen some folks that would be very, VERY lethal with a SA revolver, so I'm not going to say a HD gun has to be DA to be effective.

As far as I'm concerned and given the choice for HD, I'm going to reach for a short barrelled shotgun anyway. :wink:

I hope you let us know which one you get. :)

Area 51

Bearcat
Again thanks for all the advise everyone.

When it comes to SD and HD what i would like to do is practice alot first so i can get very comfortable and confident with which ever firearm it may be.

I fully understand why the GP100 would be the better choice for HD due to the points that were made.

I do like the GP100 due to it being easier and faster with the loading, unloading, and double action.

I like the Blackhawk however because in my opinion, i find it to be a very classy gun. by looks and function.

NOW!!! if it were only to be a range gun, then which one would it be!?

just curious to see what the answers would be to that :)

A

Anonymous

Both are fine choices, but to ME, and I have no real argument with those who disagree, the ambiance of the single action calls for a cartridge that goes to the era from which it sprang. (sprung?)8)

There is just something about a 357 in a Blackhawk that doesn't feel right to me.

For what you are talking about, I think you will be better off with a 4" GP. I would choose the full underlug design, but that is of little importance.

Enjoy your new gun, whatever you choose.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Range gun only? Go with the Blackhawk as you will most likely be shooting in SA most of the time anyway.
Home Defense? I would buy the GP100.
Or, do like I did and buy a SBH to hunt with and a SP101 .357 for bedside and carry.
I wouldn't sweat the decision too much anyway as you know you are eventually going to end up with both of them... you know it's true, quit fighting it.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
I absoulutely love single actions, but with your stated requirements (original or updated), and in 357Mag....I'd say go with the GP-100 (I can't believe I just typed that).

With that being said....you already mentioned it will only be less than 365 days before next year and your next purchase (with potential of another purchase this year...I hope) so get a Blackhawk in 45Colt as soon as you can as your second gun!!!

Those would make a VERY NICE 2 gun battery!!!

Good Luck in your Search,

Stump

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
GP100 would be the best choice for home defense. But a person has to learn two shoot double action fast from 7 to 10 yrds and be able to do under stress accurately. Thats not that easy. You can learn to shoot S/A quickly and be more accurate than shooting double action. Really the only clear cut advantage of the GP100 is loading. But again that is not easy under stress either. Bottom line, pick the one you are the most comfortable with and like and practice until the revolver becomes second nature you. That we be the best defense.

Good luck,
roaddog28

Latest posts