GP100 modifications

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Palu

Bearcat
Hi, just bought a new GP100 6" stainless. I usually like to leave things stock until I can get a good feel for what is needed, but I immediately noticed the front sight is very hard to see against a dark background. What do you guys suggest? Thought about just painting the back of the sight red or something.

Any other suggested mods are welcome. Thanks.

marlboro man

Bearcat
well as far as 'painting' it someone once told me to use finger nail polish instead of paint, the polish will come off a heck of a lot easier then paint if you decide to sell it or trade it. or you could change the front sight altogether, you can order a set of 3 different ones from the ruger website for 20 bucks or so. i also put the older style grips on my 4inch SS GP. the new ones were just too uncomfortable for my hands. you can find those on ebay or you can place a Want To Buy add here in the classified section. good luck with whatever you decide but garunteed you're gonna love that GP!! Joe

Quietdood

Bearcat
I had the same problem. I painted the backside with some red car paint I had floating around. Then in the center of that I used a tiny brush and made a thinner line with... I think it was some sort of latexy white house paint. Whatever I did, I like it and it works for me. Hasn't come off when cleaning and is certainly more visible in low light situations.

I don't really care about what I might have done to any resale value (whether or not it'll come off easy). I consider it mine and am willing to experiment.

Pal Val

Buckeye
+1 to Quietdood. It's your gun, and you will be shooting it.

Three things I do to every gun I buy - Make sure the grips fit my hand, make sure the action works smoothly, and make sure the sights work for me. Everything lse is cosmetic.

In the case of my GP-100, it means Pachmayr grips, a thorough cleaning and polishing of the action, a Wolff springs set, a red-insert front post from Ruger and a "one ragged hole" rear aperture blade.

I saved all the original parts. If the gun ever needs to go to Rugre, it will go with the original parts in it. They lose the non-factory parts.

Palu

Bearcat
Thanks everyone.

Val - where is the best place to get Wolf spring set? Any special tool I need to replace the springs? I've been reading that those springs make a night and day difference.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ruger Sights
http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/24/

Wolff Springs
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=303418

I like the Ruger six light sticks HiViz front sight. :D

000_0003.jpg

...Jimbo

Palu

Bearcat
Thanks for the links, Jimbo. I like the light stick and will probably end up getting it. I like the midway site, too. I am also going to order some hks speed loaders from them ($8).

Pal Val

Buckeye
Sounds like a plan. I treat every gun as a project. Once I get it to where I like it, it's usually time to get started on another.

Harry1

Bearcat
Greetings. I use a Elmers Painter on all my front sites. Glocks, Rugers, et al. If my Smith has a red site, I don't touch it. The Elmers is White acriclic. It stays on very well. I use a little alcahole to get the oil off and then put the white on. Two coates and it is good to go. The white front and back do a super job. Have fun.

GLH

Bearcat
I agree with Jimbo357, my 65y eyes can actually see those Ruger Hi-Viz front sight and they are a snap to change. I love that 4" GP better than any Smith I have. gene

Palu

Bearcat
Ok, while the HiViz is enroute, I decided to paint the stock sight. I actually like this a lot.

IMG_0800.jpg

(Blurry...)
IMG_0788.jpg

1boredguy

Bearcat
go to Ulta.

Get a bright orange and matte nail polish for less than $5.

if you don't like the color, then you can look for a bright green, red, or even glow in the dark halloween nail polish.

adanymous

Bearcat
Im a big fan of the duracoat glow site paint. I havent done it on my GP yet but have done it on a few other guns. I pull the front site, melt a few pounds of lead in a muffin tin I keep for this purpose, set the site in the lead til it solidifies (keep the site level). After the site is firmly set in the lead I put it in my drill press vise and drill a small divot in the face of the site. Then put a drop of the site paint in the divot. The divot will keep the site paint protected and it wont chip off. All you gotta do to get the site out of the lead is cut it out with a hacksaw, the lead cuts like butter. Then reinstall the site.

GhosT

Blackhawk
THIS TURNED OUT COOL!

Did this a few years back.

My GP100 6" stainless and my Super Redhawk,also stainless...lol

As knew from day one was gonna scope my Super Redhawk....and...
keep my GP100 with open sites...........
Took like two seconds to figure out front sites in both guns interchangeable.

GP100 front site was all black, Super Redhawk front site had a GREAT orange insert built in.
Took less than a minute to switch front sites.

My GP100 wears the SRH front site and it kicks ass.
Quick on target if need speed, but just above the orange, standard black if need a well aimed shot!

No way I am the first to figure this out?

Palu

Bearcat
GhosT - please provide some pics! I'm all about OEM stuff. Both guns and cars.

You can get all kinds of front sights for GP's and Redhawks at Brownells and MidwayUSA. You can also get the different spring sets at both places. I put the One Ragged Hole sights on my 7 1/2" Redhawk because I carry it deer hunting and you can get a real quick sight picture if you jump one.

Latest posts