GP100 Match Champion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wilburmay

Bearcat
Is the top strap stressed while firing the weapon. The old Colt Navy with the open top had a very large cylinder pin for that very reason. Full house loads can find a weak spot.. saw a MC the other day with the Novak removed and the narrowed strap caught my eye.
Wilbur

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I can understand the concern but I will bet that Ruger has run the Match Champion frame through many Finite Element Analysis sessions on the computer. A go-ahead from that engineering step added to much successful test firing would minimize the risk of any cracking or other bad things happening.

Colt didn't have a computer when the open top revolver was designed so they probably erred on the side of safety and reliability when they specified the large base pin.

None of this I know for sure but it seems logical to me. Perhaps a forum member with better knowledge of the Ruger engineering process can chime in.

Cordite

NikA

Buckeye
Last I checked, Ruger uses a 400 series SS (I think mostly 416, but probably a variety) for most of its stainless applications. Their basic data from Ruger is here: http://www.ruger.com/casting/T-Steel.html. They probably do destructive batch testing on a representative number of samples to ensure they're getting at least the properties they list.

The fatigue limit of steels is typically around 1/2 the tensile strength; from that chart, their investment cast, heat-treated 416 would be around 47ksi minimum, possibly up to 100ksi depending on heat treatment. That means that the cross sectional area of the top strap only needs to be about the same as the cross sectional area of the bullet (.357M is a 45ksi cartridge) or less, depending on heat treatment. I have confidence that Ruger has figured this out to the point that there are better things to be concerned about.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I'm certainly not an engineer, metallurgist, firearms designer, gunsmith, or anything of the sort. But I can point out a few things:

1. The GP100 in general has been around for years, and has earned a reputation for being strong.

2. The Match Champion has been out for awhile now, and has not done anything to tarnish the GP100's reputation.

3. Ruger revolvers have become known over the years for being "tanks." That's not a reputation Ruger would likely take lightly, or be willing to squander to save a few bucks on steel, or shave an oz. of weight off a gun.

4. I imagine that in addition to computer models, Ruger shoots a lot of rounds through guns before they're offered to the public.

5. Just shoot your Match Champion and enjoy.

I'm comfortable too.

But, if they can remove so much metal in the dovetail, makes me think the beefiness elsewhere is wasted material.
They could then afford to trim some, and have a nice svelte revolver, kind've like the......Security Six! :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

ifithitu

Single-Sixer
All I can say about the Ruger GP 100 Match Champion,is im happy with the one I own.It looks just like the one post above my post.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The vulnerable area of a revolver's top straps is right above the front end of the cylinder at the cylinder/forcing cone gap. That's the area that sees the hot combustion gasses and is subject to wear and flame cutting. It's where lighter frame revolvers (S&W K-frames and Ruger Security Sixes) were damaged when fed a steady diet of full house .357 loads and why the heavier guns (L-frames and GP's) were designed to put more metal there.

The dovetail cut for the rear sight on the Match Champion is way behind this vulnerable area and should present absolutely no problems even in long term use.

Freuderlocks

Bearcat
I bought my gp100 Match champion about a year ago. According to my reloading journal, it has fired 14,000 full power .357 rounds and 6,000 38 specials. That's 20,000 rounds in a calendar year with no ill effects.
I'm certainly not worrying.

Freuderlocks

xtratoy

Buckeye
Freuderlocks said:
I bought my gp100 Match champion about a year ago. According to my reloading journal, it has fired 14,000 full power .357 rounds and 6,000 38 specials. That's 20,000 rounds in a calendar year with no ill effects.
I'm certainly not worrying.

Freuderlocks
We're those factory rounds or reloads? Even at cheap pricing if factory that's $7400 + of ammo through just 1 gun!!! Based on $20 a box for 357 and $15 for 38 spl. I have to find a better paying job that still gives me enough time to do that much shooting. Well done Freuderlocks!