GP100 in .41 Mg.?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sugar River

Buckeye
Dave Clements did the one in the pic above, but I understand he is retired.
Try calling Jack Huntington, I seem to recall him building 41 Specials.

A lot of information to digest. I have been day dreaming all winter about a new cartridge to be between the .357 Mg. and the .41 Mg., and shooting a .384 or so diameter bullet. The stopper is that suitable brass to base the cartridge on is unavailable and also bullets would be a problem...

Sounds like 10mm is not an attractive option for you. I've always liked "wildcats", but there is something to be said about factory cartridges/chamberings, from the cost perspective!
:)

KIR

Sparks, NV
I had a GP-100 Match Champion in .357 Mag/.38SPC. It is a great pistol. Unfortunately, I developed arthritis in my hands and couldn't handle it anymore, so I gave it to my son. He loves it!

joecrab

Bearcat
Sounds like 10mm is not an attractive option for you. I've always liked "wildcats", but there is something to be said about factory cartridges/chamberings, from the cost perspective!
I explored the 10MM when I had a Buckeye Special in 38/40-10MM Auto. It will produce performance better in the Blackhawk than in a semi auto because the pressure can safely be raised higher than factory pressures, but in a DA revolver I much prefer a rimmed case over clips.

I explored the 10MM when I had a Buckeye Special in 38/40-10MM Auto. It will produce performance better in the Blackhawk than in a semi auto because the pressure can safely be raised higher than factory pressures, but in a DA revolver I much prefer a rimmed case over clips.

I'm guessing somebody has made rimmed 10mm cases, based on shortened .30-30 cases. You might have to inside ream the cases if the brass is too thick, and maybe reduce the rim diameter (if there are interference issues); not sure if the back of the cylinder would need any changes (might be fine "as is", since there's room for a moon clip). On the plus side, the brass & bullets are commonly avaible, and you could probably use off-the-shelf dies and load data!

contender

Ruger Guru
"I'm guessing somebody has made rimmed 10mm cases, based on shortened .30-30 cases."

You mentioned that the brass is commonly available. Right now,, it's NOT commonly available.

I have a GP-100 MC in .10mm. Moon clips are not an issue at all TO ME! I used to think they'd be a problem,, but after I got into using them, especially in USPSA competition, I saw how easily they are to use.
And it's easier to recover brass (as opposed to the shell shuckers out there,) about the fastest way to reload a DA revolver too. And in USPSA,, at bigger matches,, (State, Regional & Nationals,) once brass hits the ground,, it's considered "lost" & the RO's get to recover it during down time or after the match is over. BUT,, with moon clips,, I get all my brass back because I need the moons.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I have a S&W 57 in 4 in. Used it for 2 grizz a moose and an elk. The 1st grizz kinda made me pucker but a 245 grain bullet at about 1150 shot completely front to back on a grizzly(DRT) and the (Alaska/Yukon)moose. The other grizzly the bullet was under the skin of the off side rear ham. ..the elk was side to side in and out. I quit guiding stupid hunters in grizz areas. Too far to Fairbanks hospitals. What more can you expect from a handgun bullet? A 225 yr 41 bullet is easily achievable in a 41 special

smith1961

Blackhawk
I really LOVE this topic. I am the nut-job who started the ".41 mag Vaquero thread. Based on that long running and famous (cough cough) thread, I think it's safe to say Ruger isn't going to jump on this idea either. Definitely in the custom realm though obviously! Oh BTW, somebody go over and bump the thread

"I'm guessing somebody has made rimmed 10mm cases, based on shortened .30-30 cases."

You mentioned that the brass is commonly available. Right now,, it's NOT commonly available.

I have a GP-100 MC in .10mm. Moon clips are not an issue at all TO ME! I used to think they'd be a problem,, but after I got into using them, especially in USPSA competition, I saw how easily they are to use.
And it's easier to recover brass (as opposed to the shell shuckers out there,) about the fastest way to reload a DA revolver too. And in USPSA,, at bigger matches,, (State, Regional & Nationals,) once brass hits the ground,, it's considered "lost" & the RO's get to recover it during down time or after the match is over. BUT,, with moon clips,, I get all my brass back because I need the moons.

Availability of ammo & reloading components generally depends on where you're at, and what your local sources are. And I personally like moon clips, having used them without issues in a .45 revolver I once traded into!

willicd76

Bearcat
I have 4 OM 357's I'm going to convert to "something". I have kicked around the 41 mag and 10mm a bunch but keep running into mental road blocks. The 10mm won't gain me much if anything over the 357 and the 41 mag won't gain me anything at all over the 44spl or 45colt in that platform. A good .410 barrel blank isn't easy to find either. Granted, I have no experience on game with a 41mag but the 44spl will do 1200fps with a 250gr and the 45colt will do 1100fps with a 300gr. I just don't think the 41 will come close to either in the 23k psi range.

contender

Ruger Guru
My reference to availability of components was mostly a reference to 30-30 brass. It USED to be easy to find & everywhere,, cheap. Not currently.
.10mm brass is even more scarce.

The .41 Mag is an excellent, yet often mis-understood caliber. And many folks have been having a .41 Special built on all kinds of frames.

Personally, I prefer to be dull & boring,, & not spend money on customs & less known calibers. I stick to the main ones.
If a .22 isn't quite big enough,, I step up to a .32 cal. After that,, I move to the .38 spl or .357 mag. If I need more,, I can step up to .357 Maxi, or .41 mag. Then there's the .44 Spl or .44 mag. Following that power level,, I have .45 Colt & .454 Casull. Lastly,, not much in North America can't be stopped by my .480.

I have enough trouble finding the time to enjoy all those to want to add anything else in there. BUT THAT'S JUST ME!!!!!