GP100 in 22lr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

krankie

Bearcat
Hi everyone, I read a lot, don't post much. I am in the market for a new full size 22 lr revolver. Until I started reading, I was convinced I wanted the GP 100. I have found several threads on this and other forums talking about problems with this revolver. Has Ruger gotten most of the "bugs" worked out? How likely if I purchase a new one, am I to have problems. I realize that there is no way positive to tell, but is this just a once in a while situation? Would the issues keep you from getting one? Any other thoughts or advise would be welcomed,Thanks.

I have a early one and had some issues that I dealt with myself, did not send it back.
If I were to buy another I'd look it over very carefully, checking front sight gap to barrel,
Cylinder to barrel gap, presence of machining burrs....etc.
I'd also take some fired brass and see if it had a good firing pin contact.
They are very solid guns but the early ones needed finishing.
I have not looked at a new one to know if Ruger decided to up there
final assembly and finishing.
Dave

After multiple returns to Ruger, and then a complete replacement, the replaced revolver is running like it was supposed to. Another couple of posts I've read have said virtually the same thing.

Problem is...No local dealers will stock them, so we're required to take our chances by ordering one online. My suggestion is to order one from Davidson's, where you'll have a new-replacement warranty.

And even then, make sure your dealer will be willing to help you with the return to Davidson's, as that is a requirement of Davidson's lifetime warranty. They wont accept it from the customer. I'm still fighting them over a return where my dealer wouldn't get involved.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've tired friends GP100s and they have fired my convertable. All of them liked the convertible better, as do I. Balance is better with the longer barrel as insight radius.

dingode

Single-Sixer
I bought one and ended up sending it back to Ruger when the firing pin left dents on the chamber without dry firing. The replaced the whole gun. The replacement had numerous issues, so it was sent again. They fixed the issues again, but the accuracy seem to have been affected. I'm seriously considering trading it in on an S&W 617.

jimd441

Blackhawk
dingode,

I think it is the luck of the draw with either gun. have a 6in. 617 I bought new a few years ago. It has been flawless and is more accurate than I am, but I have heard many stories from those who have not been as lucky. There are also stories of those who have flawless GP100 .22s. For me, the deal maker was the 617 came in 6in. and I like the longer sight radius, as I also do with my 6in. GP100 .357

Jim

mjh

Single-Sixer
I picked up a GP 100 in .22lr. for a good price. It was NIB from a private seller who never shot it. He purchased it May 2018. It's the 4.2 inch barrel model. After a general once over pre shoot cleaning that I always do with a new firearm I recently took it to the range, 250 rounds later I'm happy so far. No negative issues, close accuracy was very good, distance accuracy will come with more shooting, trigger was better than my SP 101 in 22lr. Nice solid platform for shooting .22lr. Good purchase in my book!

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have been considering one for Steel Challenge. My 4" S&W 617 is a Six Shooter. With 5 Targets per Run you only get one miss with it. Reloading the Six Shooter with HKS Speed Loaders is a little slow when the clock is running. My first Match I only ran the cylinder dry one time. I have figured out not running dry is the best plan, and 10 shots available should take care of that issue.

Speed Beez makes a Speed Loader and Loading Block for the 10 shot GP100. Looks to be made just as you would want it for Steel Challenge with the USA made Ammo Case option.

I agree about ordering one you cannot look over before purchase not being ideal.
Probably good advice getting it from Davidsons so returning a problem one is not an issue.
A buddy of mine sent back two 45acp Red Hawks to Davidsons. My local dealer takes good care of his customers.

Bob R

mUeWNLTh.jpg

Here you go.
I made up the block and the loaders are DS10 speed.
They work really well.
Dave

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Dave do you shoot Steel Challenge?
It looked to me like one of the Speed Beez Speed Loader with the loading block would work ok for Steel Challenge Stages. Load the revolver and snap the speed loader on the next cluster of shells for the next run. If you shoot more than ten rounds on a stage you are not going to do well at all. You had better regroup, slow down, and start hitting the targets.

Looks like you have four speed loaders in the picture.

Your set up looks very good. You did a very good job on the loading block.

I have made up a gear carrier out of two 5 gallon plastic pales. I have three U Bolts installed just under the lip of one pale for the second pale to set on when shooting a stage. The idea is to eject all ammo into the top empty pale and sort out the loaded rounds and brass when finished with a stage. When transporting, the empty pale the brass goes in goes under the one with the U Bolts. They nest and do not take up much more space than a single pale.
I am looking for a Golf Bag Carrier to transport the buckets on. The plan is to transport my cased rimfire revolver and ammo (22 LR and 38 Special) in the pale with the U Bolts.

Bob R

I would advise you to buy an older, used S&W Model 17 or 18. I bought a clean Model 17 last year for $600. A much better revolver than anything made today, IMO.

Bob R said:
Dave do you shoot Steel Challenge?
I have done it a bit, not at present.

Looks like you have four speed loaders in the picture.

Yes, from a total capacity vs. box size it seemed about right.
If you're busy you can get through 3 stages without reloading.

Your set up looks very good. You did a very good job on the loading block.
Thank You
Dave

Bob R

Well I screwed up the reply, but you get the idea.

Latest posts