GP100 help needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MJB

Bearcat
Took my GP100 apart and polished internals today. Put it back together and for some reason the cylinder latch won't drop all the way in double action and of course the cylinder and hammer lock up. Single action works fine.

I've had it apart and back together again before with no problems.

Anyone know what I've done wrong?

Many thanks for any help.

GP100man

Buckeye
DID YA REPLCE THE SPRINGS??? IF SO
THE TRIGGER IS NOT RESETTING, HOPEFULLY A STRONGER SPRING WILL RESET IT .
HOW MUCH "POLISHING" DID YA DO ON THE TRIGGER & LATCH???
WERE THE CORRECT SPRINGS & PLUNGERS PUT IN THERE CORRECT LOCATIONS???

MJB

Bearcat
Previously had an 8# trigger spring, replaced it with a 10#.
Hammer spring is 12#.
Triple checked springs & plungers and they are in the right places, plungers facing the right way.

Light polish on trigger, but I'm wondering if I was a little too aggresive polishing the back side of the hammer dog. Could that be the problem ya think?

Appreciate your input.

GP100man

Buckeye
Hammer dog would`nt affect cyl latch or trigger reset.

well if ya did`nt shine too much on the little reset ear on the trigger ya had to reshape the trigger plunger (the peice that floats & pulls the latch down) or reshape the latch angles .these parts cannot be "polished" until all machining marks are gone.
i`ve seen some that i did`nt even try to smooth up , just replaced em they were so ruff

these parts are availible ,but have to wait sometimes , the trigger is a trip to ruger.

make sure that the trigger plunger is`nt catching on a burr , i take a drill bit backwards & lapping compound & smooth the spring & plunger well up.
i then put a little outside chamfer on the plungers if needed.
in this plunger well is one of the 2 places i actually use a dab of tetra grease

i have 12# hammer & 10# in all mine & have 100% reset & ign

GP100man

Buckeye
when reassemblin the trigger group to the frame u can chek function with out installin hammer& spring.

one thing came to mind have ya tried to push forward on the trigger then try da??

MJB

Bearcat
Barely touched the latch angle but you may have named my problem when you mentioned the trigger plunger.

It was VERY rough and I may have gone to far in smoothing it up.

I'll follow your suggestions tomorrow and if that doesn't do the trick I'll send off for a new trigger plunger.

Thanks very much for your help!!