GP100 for Super Redhawk trade- Worth it? Answer is no!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Super Redhawk is a hand cannon, but it is not a visually attractive hand cannon. Functionally fine, visually not fine. Eye of the beholder, I know...

Now if they'd only full lug those Super RedHawks, they'd sell like crazy, heavy yes, but sell they would sell.

The one that really gets me is the standard Redhawk .44 mag 4". It really needs the full lug, what a beauty that would be! ;)

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
Now if they'd only full lug those Super RedHawks, they'd sell like crazy, heavy yes, but sell they would sell.

The one that really gets me is the standard Redhawk .44 mag 4". It really needs the full lug, what a beauty that would be! ;)
They did make the Redhawk .44 in a 4" full lug briefly (actually 4.2"), and I bought one.

Attachments

• lug copy.JPG
    lug copy.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 46

purebred

Bearcat
The Super Redhawk is a hand cannon, but it is not a visually attractive hand cannon. Functionally fine, visually not fine. Eye of the beholder, I know...
I traded a 1911 for a 454 super many years ago just to cut the barrel and make my own Alaska. After cutting down the barrel and hand cutting a front sight for it I ended up selling it to a friend who had to have it. Now after all these years I wish I had it back.

contender

Ruger Guru
purebred,, we call that "seller remorse." The cure is easy. Never sell one! :D :D

A little history here on the Super Redhawk.

Decades ago, there was a barrel separation of a .44 Redhawk where the barrel meets the frame. It was returned to Ruger. The gun was replaced. Ruger went into a serious study as to WHY it happened. Then a couple more had the same thing. A sheared off barrel at the frame.
So, they developed the Super Redhawk with the extended frame section, then added the barrel. As some like to say; "An ugly duckling was born." But the Super Redhawk provided a platform to where Ruger could build even bigger & stronger calibers.

Yet,, they finally figured out the WHY barrels sheared off of the Redhawks.It took several years & studies. It had to do with the lube used to assemble the barrels to the frame, AND it being left exposed to the air before assembly for an extended timeframe.
Example.
An assembler had a rack of barrels to assemble. He lubes all the threads on the rack. He starts assembly. No problems. Until, they went into an extended plant shut down for a few weeks for maintenance or Christmas. Normally a 2-3 week period. A FEW barrels that had lube were left un-assembled in the rack. The lube dried & changed properties enough that when the assembler returned,, and torqued the now dried older lube to the frame,, it created a stress area. Eventual firing caused the barrel to break off.

How do I know all this?

My first Redhawk was also the very first one to have the barrel separate from the frame. I still have much of the records on it. But it took years for them to discover the problem. And with that,, being overly cautious, they designed & built the Super Redhawk.

purebred

Bearcat
Only if you don't feel the need to have a front sight and you're OK with whatever crown can be cut with the barrel installed. The actual Alaskan barrel requires specialized tools in remove/install.
You can cut a front dovetail sight into the frame if you know how and there are plenty of sights out there to choose from. Also the crown can be cut like you say installed and people are very satisfied with the results. Also I do realize special tools are needed to remove an Alaskan barrel. Special vise and also tooling to grab the barrel inside to remove it without damage to barrel and receiver.

Last edited:

NikA

Buckeye
@purebred you've lost me, I thought you said "awfully easy". Of course it's possible with the correct tools, but you'd be cutting a dovetail into the frame which has some complexity and risk to it. Cutting a SRH down to a midlength (Toklat style) is much more straightforward.

Rclark

Hunter
...the seller didn't like the bigger caliber.
I can relate to that! Tis why I sold my .44Mag Super Redhawk in a trade for an .45 Colt original Vaquero back when. Wasn't the caliber, but the weight and size. I've had/have much much more fun with the Vaquero than I ever did with the SRH. It was worth the trade, no regrets!!!!! The SRH was to much of a 'specialty' item, and just set on the shelf collecting dust. Recently, I ran across the chest holster (only way to carry the beast) I had laying around for it. Went to the Goodwill people.

purebred

Bearcat
Sorry my mistake. I didn't poof read my remarks. I left about a 1/8 inch of the barrel protruding and cut the dovetail into the frame. Actually pretty easy to do if you've been around tools all your life. You have to have your measurements correct and cut very slow and tedious with the files but can be done. Check out Larry Potterfields articles on hand cutting dovetails. I know it seems cannibalistic and bubba fied but can be done and actually ends up looking very nice. I have pictures on one of my many memory sticks somewhere that shows how i did it. Same as the crown. I used a wooden vise with plenty of padding and a drill press to make my home made crown job. I know it doesn't sound like something you would pay to get it done but I did it on a whim and it turned out great. My neighbor even paid the price I paid for the 1911 originally. He still has it too. He doesn't shoot much 454 casull but a whole lot of 45 colt.

akgrant

Bearcat
I agree with much of what is being said here. I'm looking to get one simply because I want a big one to play with. I do feel they are an ugly duckling and prefer the alaskan look, although I'm not sure which I would prefer for regular shooting. What I would love to see is a 4.5-5" full lug. I think that length would fit visually with the mass of the frame, while still offering decent handling and good performance. I'm on the prowl for either the alaskan or the 7.5", which ever happens to show first at a really good deal. I'll be patient and wait for the right one. I learned a lot from you all on the current value of these, the reasons behind it, and what to look for in getting a used one. Glad I decided to ask the question here and appreciate the input and continued conversation on these monsters!

hittman

Staff member
I had a 44 Mag Alaskan. Shoulda just rented one and got it out of my system.

hittman

Staff member
Too big for concealed carry.
Barrel too short for a range gun …. At least how I shoot most.
There's no big game here to take with it.
No dangerous game here making me need it for protection in the woods.
It was fun and an eye catcher but more of a novelty than practical in the long run.

contender

Ruger Guru
akgrant,, since your location isn't shown in your handle/avatar part,, what state are you in?
I ask,, because if you are close to me in NC,, or are traveling here,, I'd let you handle & shoot a few Supers.

snipe10

Bearcat
Keep the GP100 imo, have a bunch, and have had a ton of Rugers over the years. Never the 480 though, don't see the reason.

akgrant

Bearcat
akgrant,, since your location isn't shown in your handle/avatar part,, what state are you in?
I ask,, because if you are close to me in NC,, or are traveling here,, I'd let you handle & shoot a few Supers.
Appreciate that, but I'm up in Maine

arcee

Bearcat
I have very strong opinions on the .480 Ruger SRH. IMO it is possibly the best compromise caliber I have seen in years but only as a single purpose round and gun. The 480 R takes the same diameter bullet used in the 475 Linebaugh and attempts to detune it to below wrist breaking recoil.
With a hard cast 400 grain WFN lead boolit at .475 diameter traveling at between 1200 and 1300 fps, the SRH provides devastating penetration. With Tritium night sites and it's double action, the SRH is truly a weapon of last resort for close encounters with large predators.

All this said, I went with the 7" 454 Casull in the SRH. Mine is outfitted tritium night sights front and rear. There has been many having the cats eyes clearly visible when reaching for the casull. has been very reassuring when hearing something go "bump in the night".

I suspect the 480 to be a gentler shooter then the Casull with less wrist snap due to the lower chamber pressures and velocity objectives. The old "there is no replacement for displacement" applies when using 475 bore to punch through and through holes or breaking bones.

I would LOVE to own the 480 but am getting a little long in the tooth to begin a new caliber. I don't think I would trade my casull because we have traveled too many miles together. I might let go of a pristine Smith 29 4" pre-safety lock in some sort of trade.

If you are in bear country or have need to handle big hogs, moose, or other large animals at a too close for comfort distances, I would consider the SRH D/A 480 carefully because it is a specialty gun. Otherwise stick with your GP 100's etc. The 480 would just be a conversation piece.
v/r arcee