GP100 Compact Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

macjalford

Bearcat
Recently got a WC GP100 and love it. Grip seems a little large, so I would like to find some compact grips. Couple questions. Are the fixed sight GP100 grips from Midway compact or not? They are currently out of stock. Any suggestions on other places to find, as well as wood inserts? Also, anybody's experience with Eagle secret service grips for GP100 would be appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum. Good choice in handguns!

Don't know the answer to your Eagle question but there's been lots of discussion about this subject if you scan a few pages of this section. I'd recommend putting a "Want to Buy" ad in the Classified section here .... and check places like eBay.

macjalford

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip. Still finding my way around here. Let you know how it works out and hopefully post pics of revolver and groups soon.

eveled

Hawkeye
When you find a set, check to see if the p/n they recomend for the inserts is the same as the p/n for the inserts for the SP101. The smallest GP grips came on the fixed sight guns, and used SP101 inserts. Sombody needs to start making them again, there is a real demand. Ed

Alpo

Bearcat
@Mac

If you do find a replacement grip you like, I'd happily buy those Wiley Clapp grips from you.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Here's the part number for Midway (almost always out of stock) and a pic of an Alaskan wearing the same grips with standard SP101 inserts and then Stag inserts.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/880222/ruger-factory-grip-1-piece-rubber-without-inserts-ruger-gp100-fixed-sight-model

jimd441

Blackhawk
I have fairly small hands and found the new factory Hogue grips too large for my hands. The factory grips were replaced with the old style rubber with rosewood inserts grips and they fit my hand well. If you are interested, I bought mine from Ruger but if they are out check Brownells and Midway.

Jim

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I found the Hogue 'monogrip' for the GP-100 to be smaller than the old Ruger insert grips. I even filed and sanded them down some more until I got them to my liking. At $15 a set I could afford to experiment.

silverback

Blackhawk
the fixed sight grips are hard to find. I did see a post on the other ruger forum where someone recently (within the last couple of weeks) had one of the tech's at ruger find a set in the warehouse. wish they would have been able to find them when I was looking. I found mine on ebay. I just waited and checked regularly.

eveled

Hawkeye
Check out this thread, the first post has a good comparison picture of the compact grip from the old fixed sight GP's and what used to be the large grip that came on the WC edition. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154489&p=1557552&hilit=gp100+compact+grips#p1557552

macjalford

Bearcat
Quite a difference in the standard WC grips and the compact. Thanks for the links, pics and all the help. Really helpful group of guys here on this site. Glad I found it a couple years ago, and more importantly started interacting. Have to admit I've got a good many Ruger revolvers (factory and custom) and will definitely seek out help on questions as well as your opinions.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Don't even try fleebay. Most dealers know people want them and they use shill biders to raise the price. Recently one dealer saw a bidder with 7 feedbacks raise the price from $20.00 and only stopped at $85.00 two other sets are in the $70.00 plus range. Just wait until the gun madness ends an Ruger will be selling these again.

eveled

Hawkeye
Somebody is bound to start making them again. I agree I wouldn't pay a crazy price for a used one. I'd be more apt to buy a nice wood grip with the money. Ed

Latest posts