GP100 6 or 7 shot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JackAsinus

Single-Sixer
I have no issues with a revolver having 5, 6, 7, 8 etc rounds in the cylinder. I also think the more the merrier.

I do have a large issue with a revolver not being reliable on all major ammunition types and brands.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Interesting conversation. As my age continues to march along I have trimmed my GP ownership to one. I have had numerous 6 shots and 7 shots in both 327 and 357 and never a lick of trouble with any of them.

The remaining gun is a 3" with fully adjustable sights with 6 shot cylinder and this one survived as it has the best DA trigger pull of any non modified GP100 I have ever handled (I don't modify actions on guns I might need for protection) and the 3" barrel is the perfect length for a non hunting gun. So it remains. Alone. Lonely. Triumphant in the competition of who stays.

I find the canted chambers information fascinating.

TacoFrank

Bearcat
I am a fan of the 6 shot. Have a friend with a 686 7 shot and it's a nice revolver. I still like the 6 shot.
TacoFrank

Coyote56

Single-Sixer
Six round revolvers have withstood the test of time for centuries. No reason to become unnecessarily swayed by gimmicks.
70DBD85D-3F54-46C1-89E6-DD09F66DBBB4.jpeg
358613FB-B056-4D34-BDDE-375B3DFFABC4.jpeg

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have enjoyed this thread. I too have a preference for the 6 shot GP100 over the 7 shot, and my favorite is my 5 inch bbl stainless steel model. I thought I was just being old fashioned, old school, but I see that at least I am not alone.

Chief 101

Hunter
I bought a 686 6" recently and in the case was a 6 shot and a 7 shot...I took the 6 shot mostly because all my speedloaders are 6 shot. The 7 shot was 50 bucks more but that didn't even enter into the equation. I think for resale value the 7 shot version may bring more dunno...I already have a 6 shot GP100.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Most of my revolvers are six shot but I have two seven shots. A Taurus Tracker seven shot and a S&W 686 + and neither one has any problems with loading seven rounds? FBI report on gun fights says that the average gun fight only last 1.7 rounds on the average. So six shots is plenty . The secret is make the first round count and usually the fight is over. A gun shot human will either drop to the ground or run away if they can. Standing shooting it out with multiple rounds down range is not how it usually happens. More like old west gun fights . One well placed round and fight is over. BTW I carry a five shot 44 mag in the car with medium 44 loads in it.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
"I'm not sure if Lowegan is saying that he recommends a larger forcing cone or that Ruger is using a larger forcing cone. People commenting on that thread are saying that they have newer 7 shot GP's and are not having any issues. Still, I'm glad that I have the 6 shot. Thanks again for the link"

I think he is saying that Ruger is using the larger forcing cone. The overall angle of the tilt of the chambers must be very small, thus, the lack of reported problems with the "fix". With respect to the 686 I don't know if S&W actually changed the frame between the 6 and 7 shot models or just got lucky in having the 6 shot ones originally engineered with a slightly larger diameter cylinder than the GP100. On the N frames when they went to an 8 shot model they did increase the space between the cylinder axis and bore center. So, it must not have been too costly to modify the frames for the 8 shot models.
Interesting discussion.