GP100 6 or 7 shot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
If you were picking a new GP100 would you pick a 6 shot or a 7 shot and why? I prefer a 3" revolver but a 4" may be ok too. I like the idea of that extra round, but don't want reliability issues. This would be used in the field or at the range, too heavy for a CCW in my opinion. What are your thoughts.

NikA

Buckeye
I think there were significant teething issues with the 7 shot and variance in ammo rim dimensions, and I'd want evidence that problem was resolved before buying a 7 shot model in today's market.

I didn't see the 6 shot models go away. I haven't seen new 7 shot models come available. I think that speaks to the current (lack of) acceptance of the 7 shot models.

edcknives

Bearcat
I'd go with the six shot as well. If the additional round(s) makes a difference I'd go with a Glock 29. I have 3 357 revolvers and a Glock 29. I would feel comfortable with any of the them in the field myself. Staying with a tried and true design with history takes precedence for me.

45acpskng

Bearcat
If you were picking a new GP100 would you pick a 6 shot or a 7 shot and why? I prefer a 3" revolver but a 4" may be ok too. I like the idea of that extra round, but don't want reliability issues. This would be used in the field or at the range, too heavy for a CCW in my opinion. What are your thoughts.
6 shot and 4"bbl ONLY! Would go 6"bbl if it's strictly for range use.

rotor

Single-Sixer
Many complaints about some ammo not fitting properly in 7 rounders. I have blued 5" GP100, full lug .357, 6 round. Great gun.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
I think there were significant teething issues with the 7 shot and variance in ammo rim dimensions, and I'd want evidence that problem was resolved before buying a 7 shot model in today's market.

I didn't see the 6 shot models go away. I haven't seen new 7 shot models come available. I think that speaks to the current (lack of) acceptance of the 7 shot models.
You are absolutely right. I don't know if Ruger has corrected the "tolerance stacking" issue of different ammo brands not fitting into the 7 shot cylinder.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
Congrats on your correct use of the word "too" Ruger has had problems with different brands of ammo fitting into the 7 shot. Since you are not using the pistol for CCW, you don't need the extra round. There's not a lot of difference between the 3 or 4 inch models. 4" gives a little longer sight radius. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Thel

Blackhawk
Over on another website a gunsmith claims the problem was solved by moving the rear of the chambers in the cylinder outward about 0.002" from the axis. The front of the chambers remained in the same position so as to line up with the forcing cone of the barrel albeit they are tilted slightly downward towards the front of the cylinder when viewed from the side. Evidently, there were no ill effects on the forcing cone or on accuracy. I would think this must have been implemented as Ruger continues to offer the 7 shot models.

S&W on their 686 models offers both 6 and 7 shot models so they sort of compliment one another not replace one with the other. Over the years I have seen some claim the 7 shot models go out of time quicker and others claim the 7 shot models have a shorter trigger stroke and seem smoother. A 7 shot all other things equal will weigh slightly less than a 6 shot. More brands of speedloaders are offered for the 6 shot vs. the 7 shot models.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
Over on another website a gunsmith claims the problem was solved by moving the rear of the chambers in the cylinder outward about 0.002" from the axis. The front of the chambers remained in the same position so as to line up with the forcing cone of the barrel albeit they are tilted slightly downward towards the front of the cylinder when viewed from the side. Evidently, there were no ill effects on the forcing cone or on accuracy. I would think this must have been implemented as Ruger continues to offer the 7 shot models.

S&W on their 686 models offers both 6 and 7 shot models so they sort of compliment one another not replace one with the other. Over the years I have seen some claim the 7 shot models go out of time quicker and others claim the 7 shot models have a shorter trigger stroke and seem smoother. A 7 shot all other things equal will weigh slightly less than a 6 shot. More brands of speedloaders are offered for the 6 shot vs. the 7 shot models.
post a link for that website please. Just off the top of my head, the fix doesn't seem plausible to me. From what I've seen, the problem is with the closeness of the chambers in the cylinder. Due to the effects of tolerance stacking, the rim of the 7th round doesn't fit all the way into the chamber due to there not being enough space for the rim. That's the reason that I don't see how canting the cylinder 0.002" from axis would add any space between the chambers that are bored into the cylinder.

JStacy

Blackhawk
4" GP100 is a classic field and home defense gun. A GP100 with the light contour barrel weighs almost the same thing as a full lug 4" and gives a better sight radius. However, I do like my 4" GP100 6shot and my 4.2" GP100 Match Champion. The match champion is a nice well-tuned gun but so is the price!

Thel

Blackhawk
"post a link for that website please. Just off the top of my head, the fix doesn't seem plausible to me. From what I've seen, the problem is with the closeness of the chambers in the cylinder. Due to the effects of tolerance stacking, the rim of the 7th round doesn't fit all the way into the chamber due to there not being enough space for the rim. That's the reason that I don't see how canting the cylinder 0.002" from axis would add any space between the chambers that are bored into the cylinder."

Dillon Justice

See comments by Iowegan. The cylinder is not canted but the chambers within the cylinder. Thus, the caseheads are farther apart at the rear of the cylinder the the chamber mouths near the forcing cone are still in the same position, that is, the chambers are at a slight angle to the cylinder axis getting closer near the front of the cylinder next to the forcing cone.

stanley_white

Bearcat
The six shot, having more steel in the cylinder, weighs more overall, so while it lacks a 7th round it will be slightly better as an impact weapon.

-Stan

hittman

Staff member
I must be an old stick-in-the-mud. When S&W brought out the 686 with 7 shots, all I thought was "what was wrong with the 6 shot"? But, it was never gonna be a carry gun for me anyway.

If the difference between 6 shots or 7 may save my life, I should be spending a lot more time at the range.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
"post a link for that website please. Just off the top of my head, the fix doesn't seem plausible to me. From what I've seen, the problem is with the closeness of the chambers in the cylinder. Due to the effects of tolerance stacking, the rim of the 7th round doesn't fit all the way into the chamber due to there not being enough space for the rim. That's the reason that I don't see how canting the cylinder 0.002" from axis would add any space between the chambers that are bored into the cylinder."

Dillon Justice

See comments by Iowegan. The cylinder is not canted but the chambers within the cylinder. Thus, the caseheads are farther apart at the rear of the cylinder the the chamber mouths near the forcing cone are still in the same position, that is, the chambers are at a slight angle to the cylinder axis getting closer near the front of the cylinder next to the forcing cone.
Thanks for the info, read the entire thread. So I had inferred from your post that Lowegan ( as a gunsmith ) somehow re-bored the cylinder. After I carefully read Lowegan's posts and realized that he claims Ruger started boring the cylinders at a slight (.002 degree cant ) to accommodate the rim diameters on the larger side of tolerances, being a band-aid fix and not a real solution. I found that to be interesting (if true.) If true, I would probably stay away from the 7 shot. I would think, and $5.00 would get you a cup of coffee, that the slight cant of the projectile could possible cause the forcing cone to wear prematurely or cause accuracy issues or both. I'm not sure if Lowegan is saying that he recommends a larger forcing cone or that Ruger is using a larger forcing cone. People commenting on that thread are saying that they have newer 7 shot GP's and are not having any issues. Still, I'm glad that I have the 6 shot. Thanks again for the link

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the info guys. I think that I will stick with the tried and true 6 round GP100. I was leaning pretty hard toward a 3" model, but now you all have me thinking a 4" may be a better way to go for my usage. I do like that idea of the match champion, but not sure it's worth the extra money for a packing revolver.

Last edited:

Thel

Blackhawk
"I'm not sure if Lowegan is saying that he recommends a larger forcing cone or that Ruger is using a larger forcing cone. People commenting on that thread are saying that they have newer 7 shot GP's and are not having any issues. Still, I'm glad that I have the 6 shot. Thanks again for the link"

I think he is saying that Ruger is using the larger forcing cone. The overall angle of the tilt of the chambers must be very small, thus, the lack of reported problems with the "fix". With respect to the 686 I don't know if S&W actually changed the frame between the 6 and 7 shot models or just got lucky in having the 6 shot ones originally engineered with a slightly larger diameter cylinder than the GP100. On the N frames when they went to an 8 shot model they did increase the space between the cylinder axis and bore center. So, it must not have been too costly to modify the frames for the 8 shot models.