GP100 .41 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
No mistake my favorite caliber is a .41. However the GP-100 can shoot a 200gr. hard cast. Or perhaps more importantly it can be converted to 10mm Auto. I know I did not answer your question yet it might just need to be a five shooter. Calthrop

Don Lovel

Hunter
Oh that we could have a moonclip 40 S&W/10mm double action revolver for CCW, Ruger are you listening?

Hamilton Bowen did a 41mag GP-100 one time but said that it was too much work and that he would not do any more

epj

Bearcat
If you want a .40/10mm, S&W makes such a gun. M610. However, it is an N frame. At one time they made a M646, .40 only, on the L frame. I have no personal knowledge, but from what I've read, there is a problem with these guns and moonclips due to some differences in .40 rim thickness among various manufacturers. In any event, S&W no longer manufacturers the 646.

dixie884

Blackhawk
When I was considering having a .41spl built, Dave Clements said either GP100 or 686. He built mine on a 3in 686. If you are considering a .41spl, I recommend it, highly. If you do have a dedicated .41spl built, send me a copy of your envoice for the conversion marked, paid, and a couple of pictures, and I'll send you 100 rnds of .41spl brass to get you started.

hughuno

Bearcat
of a CImarron SAA. It was originally a .357. I also had a Smith & Wesson rear sight milled into the backstrap. I would have used a Blackhawk. but for plinking, I hated the NM BH grips and went with a SAA type pistol. Except for the frustrations of dealing with Mr. Gallagher (i.e. "3 months" = 2 years), it is a pretty special piece. Douglas barrel, shallow forcing cone etc. Has some nice grips also, but I prefer the Pachys. I originally made my brass with a dial micrometer and a copper pipe cutter, but have a nice RCBS brass trimmer now that is much faster and easier! New made custom brass is insanely expensive (via Midway I think).
standard.jpg

THE .41 MAN

Single-Sixer
hughuno":se13yu88 said:
of a CImarron SAA. It was originally a .357. I also had a Smith & Wesson rear sight milled into the backstrap. I would have used a Blackhawk. but for plinking, I hated the NM BH grips and went with a SAA type pistol. Except for the frustrations of dealing with Mr. Gallagher (i.e. "3 months" = 2 years), it is a pretty special piece. Douglas barrel, shallow forcing cone etc. Has some nice grips also, but I prefer the Pachys. I originally made my brass with a dial micrometer and a copper pipe cutter, but have a nice RCBS brass trimmer now that is much faster and easier! New made custom brass is insanely expensive (via Midway I think).
standard.jpg

I've got three .41Specials at present. A Ruger .357 Anniversary FT, a 4-digit .357 FT, and a S&W 3-inch 686. They all shoot great. Next is a 6-shot .41Special GP-100. As for brass, the properly headstamped brass Dixie sells is the way to go. As soon as a few things settle down, I'm getting another 500-1000 pieces. Cost is ALOT better than the Quality Cartridge stuff Midway sells.

THE .41 MAN

Single-Sixer
Sugar River":2qnc0cey said:
Brian,
Who did the work on your 41 specials?
Any chance of pics?

Pete

The .357mag/.41Spcl Ruger Anniversary was one of Reeders's Wichita Classic line to which I added a Bisley hammer and stags. The four digit Blackhawk was converted to .41Spcl by Clements, and the S&W 686 is a Bowen conversion. Sorry, no camera = no pictures. Reeder has a stock picture of the Wichita Classic and Clements has one of a Quinn special which is basically the four digit blackhawk. The 686 just has bigger holes in the cylinder and barrel. Again, sorry. I've been meaning to get a camera one of these days but the money always goes toward guns or ammo.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I posted pictures of my 686 3in .41spl on the smith&wesson forum, I don't know how to post pics here.

Bearcat
I would like to see S&W bring back the M696 which is a good CCW gun due to it's size, caliber, and adjustable sights. While 357 Mag is fine, I still like a bigger bore and you can also load it for shot shells using a 444 Marlin case.

While S&W reintroduced the M58 this year, maybe there is some hope for the M696 in the future. I want something to shoot a lot and not a light weight like the Night Guard series.

dougader

Hunter
What specs/ballistics do you see with the 41 Special? I'm thinking a 215 grain SWC at ~900 fps???

dixie884

Blackhawk
John Taffin says;
5grs Unique-215 to 220 cast swc= just under 800 fps
6grs''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''just over 9oo fps
12.5grs 2400''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''just over 1050 fps
14.5grs 2400''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''just over 1225 fps

This is from a 5.5 inch barrel, listed on his Sixguns site, under Taffin tests,,,,,, .41spl

I have shot a good bit of 5.5 to 6grs Unique-215swcbb, as well as 6.5grs Universal. These are a delight to shoot in my 686, light recoil satisfying thump on the other end. I have been stretching the envelope a little more lately, just to see how versatile the .41spl can be. I wondered about the advisability of shooting loads over 1,000 fps in the mid, or .41 frame DA envelope.

Recently I have been shooting some more agressive loads. I have tried 7grs Power Pistol-215gr swcbb, 13.5grs, and 14.5grs 2400-170gr Sierra jhc, 14.5grs 2400-210gr KT swc. All of these loads seem to be safe in my little mid frame S&W. Ejection on all is gentle thumb pressure, and all primers are rounded and show no flattening or any othe signs of pressure. I have no chronograph, but need to get one, so I will know what I'm getting from my 3in barrel. The recoil was sharper with the Power Pistol load, but more of a gentle push, with 2400.

I hope some one has a GP100 converted, it would be great if Lipsey's or someone would do a run of them. Ruger wouldn't have to retool, just bore and rifle with a different tool. They already chamber in .41 mag all it takes is chambering .125 shallower.

MadBadger

Bearcat
I chose the 686 platform (with Mountain Gun barrel) for my first .41 Special & yes there will be more!

2009nov-dec055.jpg

To me, holding each, the 686 just felt a bit trimmer and more packable for all day wear. That said, I'd still like to see a GP converted.

I have an Anniversary Blackhawk just waiting for a Mdl 57 barrel & a .41 bored 686 barrel just waiting for a 681 frame. The search goes on!

MadBadger

p.s. dixie884 - the brass is great. I'm digging out my invoice for your very generous offer. I've been needing to order more regardless, but getting restocked on .414 brass took first priority.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
dixie884":3nvzrt7e said:
If you do have a dedicated .41spl built, send me a copy of your envoice for the conversion marked, paid, and a couple of pictures, and I'll send you 100 rnds of .41spl brass to get you started.

I don't have an invoice for my .41 Special on a midframe NM flattop. :(
I don't know if it would count anyway, sionce it also has a .41 mag cylinder.
DSCN0867.jpg