Gp100 4 and 6inch comparison

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
Recently I had the itch to get back into the gp100 357.

I picked up a 4 inch Nov. 9th. Great initial outing but then the 4 and 6 inch barrel debate started running around in my consciousness.

Never a good thing as I began to Wonder which one I would like the better.

All the research i did lead to the conclusion and that was its a personal preference. The only way to satisfy my curiosity was to get the 6 inch.

It came in last week and I have been able to get to the range on three separate occasions to give myself a familiarity with both.

I am not a big fan of the hogue grip so I ordered the OEM rubber grip with inserts to try the!m on both guns.

I shot monarch 158 grain rated on box at 1600 fps
Federal 158 grain rated 1240
Winchester 110 rated 1295
38 specials rated about 940

All semi jacketed hollow points.
Don't remember if the 38's were hollow points.

Conclusions as follows:

4 inch seems lighter than its reported weight, well balanced and super easy to point. I really liked the way it felt in hand even with the hogue
grip.

15 yards was no issue getting accurate shots off and it came back on target quickly. However I shoot outside under an aluminum cover and the blast was loud and I still felt some of the shock wave back in my face. Not like the 2 inch revolvers but still there and enough to be annoying.
The 38's and 110's were super light hardly any noticeable recoil.
However the 158'still had a formidable snap and a sharp recoil pulse in hand. Nothing to cry home about and one could surely have a long day shooting session without discomfort, but you would known you had been shooting full his 357's.

The OEM grips did make the recoil much softer but the stock size seemed to look to big and almost over powered the gun.

I think the compact version would be ideal for this gun.

I can see why every one likes this size gun. It really would shine as a packing, hiking, truck gun ,plinker and yes even a hunter if needed.

Still it leaves me wanting the ability to get the most out of the 357 I can.
Why have a 357 if your only going to shoot 38's out of it. You might as well save money and get the cylinder milled to take 9mm and buy a small stash of 357 for the occasionally range or field needs. Even if you do reload I think the 9mm idea would be more cost effective for range plinking.

6 inch was considerably more stout. I didnt think that the added 5 ounces would be that noticeable . you can tell its there. It doesn't seem to make the gun barrel heavy but you can feel the weight. If that makes any sense.

The gun is still well balance , points well, absorbs more recoil, a little slower getting back on target (not by much) and very accurate. I am sure its due to the extra sight radius. I think both are equally accurate.

The muzzle doesn't snap as much and the blast is further away. It is still loud under cover but the shock wave didn't seem to affect me.

The hogue grip was OK but still felt a bit of a sharpness from recoil I'm hand. The OEM grip on the other hand served well. I could shoot all day with no discomfort. They look better and with nice inserts really enhance the cool factor. Lol....

The 38's and 110's were like 22lr's, too much fun to shoot. The 158's let you know your shooting full house rounds but in my opinion were much more controllable and comfortable to shoot.

I think this size is a great plinker,HD and hunter. If I were to go hunting with it I would invest in a chest rig for carry comfort.

I am looking yo load stout 357 rounds and shoot them regularly at the range. There is something about that round zipping along that is compelling to me.

The 9mm idea is also compelling. it would give super cheap plinking time and trigger control practice. Plus the 6 inch barrel would get more performance out of the 9mm as well.

I am sure by now you have figured out that I am keeping the 6inch barrel and the 4 inch will have to be sold. I would love to keep them both but that is not in my budget.

In my opinion for what its worth the 6 inch shines. Less perceived recoil with full house loads, longer sight radius, more bullet performance, less shock wave in my face, all equals more fum at the range or else where.

I am happy I had the chance to shoot the! Side by side it really confirmed my choice.

Happy camper.

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
Great report! I bought my first Davidson's 6" with wood grip and unfluted cylinder last year. Loved it in hand ! Buuuutttt... I sent it off to Mr. Clements for a slab sided 41 special conversion without firing a 38 caliber shot! Can not wait ( but I have to) lol . Hopefully I'll have it in a couple months!

silverback

Blackhawk
Thanks I hope it helps others in same situation.
Now just need to sell the 4 inch. I thought it would sell quickly. May have to move to armslist after a week.lol

Gp100 one sweet gun.

9x19

Hunter
Ah, but then..... there is the 5 inch! :D

tNw8ec9.jpg

silverback said:
Recently I had the itch to get back into the gp100 357.

I picked up a 4 inch Nov. 9th. Great initial outing but then the 4 and 6 inch barrel debate started running around in my consciousness.

Never a good thing as I began to Wonder which one I would like the better.

All the research i did lead to the conclusion and that was its a personal preference. The only way to satisfy my curiosity was to get the 6 inch.

It came in last week and I have been able to get to the range on three separate occasions to give myself a familiarity with both.

I am not a big fan of the hogue grip so I ordered the OEM rubber grip with inserts to try the!m on both guns.

I shot monarch 158 grain rated on box at 1600 fps
Federal 158 grain rated 1240
Winchester 110 rated 1295
38 specials rated about 940

All semi jacketed hollow points.
Don't remember if the 38's were hollow points.

Conclusions as follows:

4 inch seems lighter than its reported weight, well balanced and super easy to point. I really liked the way it felt in hand even with the hogue
grip.

15 yards was no issue getting accurate shots off and it came back on target quickly. However I shoot outside under an aluminum cover and the blast was loud and I still felt some of the shock wave back in my face. Not like the 2 inch revolvers but still there and enough to be annoying.
The 38's and 110's were super light hardly any noticeable recoil.
However the 158'still had a formidable snap and a sharp recoil pulse in hand. Nothing to cry home about and one could surely have a long day shooting session without discomfort, but you would known you had been shooting full his 357's.

The OEM grips did make the recoil much softer but the stock size seemed to look to big and almost over powered the gun.

I think the compact version would be ideal for this gun.

I can see why every one likes this size gun. It really would shine as a packing, hiking, truck gun ,plinker and yes even a hunter if needed.

Still it leaves me wanting the ability to get the most out of the 357 I can.
Why have a 357 if your only going to shoot 38's out of it. You might as well save money and get the cylinder milled to take 9mm and buy a small stash of 357 for the occasionally range or field needs. Even if you do reload I think the 9mm idea would be more cost effective for range plinking.

6 inch was considerably more stout. I didnt think that the added 5 ounces would be that noticeable . you can tell its there. It doesn't seem to make the gun barrel heavy but you can feel the weight. If that makes any sense.

The gun is still well balance , points well, absorbs more recoil, a little slower getting back on target (not by much) and very accurate. I am sure its due to the extra sight radius. I think both are equally accurate.

The muzzle doesn't snap as much and the blast is further away. It is still loud under cover but the shock wave didn't seem to affect me.

The hogue grip was OK but still felt a bit of a sharpness from recoil I'm hand. The OEM grip on the other hand served well. I could shoot all day with no discomfort. They look better and with nice inserts really enhance the cool factor. Lol....

The 38's and 110's were like 22lr's, too much fun to shoot. The 158's let you know your shooting full house rounds but in my opinion were much more controllable and comfortable to shoot.

I think this size is a great plinker,HD and hunter. If I were to go hunting with it I would invest in a chest rig for carry comfort.

I am looking yo load stout 357 rounds and shoot them regularly at the range. There is something about that round zipping along that is compelling to me.

The 9mm idea is also compelling. it would give super cheap plinking time and trigger control practice. Plus the 6 inch barrel would get more performance out of the 9mm as well.

I am sure by now you have figured out that I am keeping the 6inch barrel and the 4 inch will have to be sold. I would love to keep them both but that is not in my budget.

In my opinion for what its worth the 6 inch shines. Less perceived recoil with full house loads, longer sight radius, more bullet performance, less shock wave in my face, all equals more fum at the range or else where.

I am happy I had the chance to shoot the! Side by side it really confirmed my choice.

Happy camper.
Better get 'em both!

9x19

Hunter
If you click on the image at imgur, on the right (list of links) at the bottom is a choice of image size, as you choose one a suffix is added to the link above "s" for small square, "b" for big square etc.

Select the size then copy the link.

I also use their auto resize feature when uploading, choosing the 640x480 imgage size.

silverback

Blackhawk
Update. Love this gun. Still wanted to get better trigger.
I have used this company before for some upgrades on my sub 200 and ksg mossberg.

It is veteran owned and one of the most stand up places to deal with. The products they put out are always top notch and warrantied.

So when I saw they had a spring kit for the sp101 ad gp100 I jumped on it.

All I can say is that once again they have knocked ot out of the park. Uber smooth and lightened trigger
Litterly changed the gun.

Plus it's nice to have one place to get all you.need to get the results you want in one place.

Oh yeah the video is super detailed
It will teach a beginner all they would need to know how to detail strip and reassemble without any questions.

Mcarbo

Link to ruger spring kit:

https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-sp101-/-gp100-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

Notice downloads great for parts recognition

Detailed installation video

https://youtu.be/txbCmzM4v6A

DGW1949

Hunter
The original .357 Mag round propelled a 158 Grn bullet and was designed to be used in a big 'N Frame' S&W revolver which was fitted with an 8-3/4" barrel....There were very good reasons for that...Now, I do understand why few people care to deal with a revolver that large, and even less that care to deal with what I can only call "a full-house .357 load". But the fact remains that if you want true .357 Magnum performance, that's purty-much the way you need to go about it. Otherwise a lot of what should be 'power' is being wasted in the form of excessive muzzle blast, concussion and noise....The point I'm trying to get around to is this; Given the choices you had to pick from, I agree with your choice of barrel length.

DGW

Latest posts