GP100 38 SP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Was in a LGS this AM to pick up a BH 45C/45 ACP convertible and while waiting for background check asked to look at a GP100. Upon inspection I noticed it was marked 38 Special. Was this some kind of dealer exclusive or maybe a Law Enforcement production run? I don't, by any means, claim to know every Ruger that has been released but I've been a Ruger Fan Boy for quite some time.

Is it a rare piece, is there any collectibility with it. It looked to be a 90-95% gun. Any ideas about what it would be worth? I wonder do I need to go back and get it. And last but not least, what would I tell the missus if I went back and got it?

Need a lot more info about the GP - length of barrel, any markings on the left side of the frame, large grip or small grip, grip inserts or the Hogue single piece grip, blued or stainless, fixed sight or adjustable.

Ruger did make .38 special GP's, majority went to law enforcement contracts but they did sell them on the open market also. A bit rarer, but can be found pretty easily.

Worth? Depends on what markings might be on it. A 90 to 95% gun could be collectible even with wear, if it was very rare.

Selling price, really depends where a person is located in the US. One region it may be worth a lot more than another region.

wolfee

Blackhawk
I have a 4", full lug, blued, fixed sight model purchased new from Davidson's a few years ago. The experts here guess it was a police or military contract over run. Davidson's received them all in one batch of several hundred and ran them at a huge discount. After the gun, freight, background check, dealer markup and sales tax I was still out the door for under $400.

I believe these guns to be fairly rare but NOT especially valuable. Mainly because the number of buyers who want a 38
Special on a frame this heavy duty is also rare. It has become one of my favorite range plinkers. I am pretty sure it will be impossible to wear it out.

hittman

Staff member
Some of the 38s are more plentiful than others.

None are super rare and few command premium prices.

I regret years back passing on a half lug blued 4 inch with fixed sites.

Still looking for one.

As Ron said we need more info.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
They've made lot's of variants of the GP in .38 and I love them all. Good shooting guns that are crazy overbuilt for the cartridge.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Stainless, adjustable sights, 3 or 4 inch barrel, going on memory here but I think 3". Had a Hogue style grip.

lolbell said:
Stainless, adjustable sights, 3 or 4 inch barrel, going on memory here but I think 3". Had a Hogue style grip.

What you describe would be a Model #1751: KGP-831 Stainless, .38 spl, 3", full lug, adj sights
If a 4" barrel then Model #1750: KGP-841 Stainless, .38 spl, 4", full lug, adj sights

Models 1750 and 1751 are somewhat scarce but obtainable.