GP100 357 mag question on using hard cast lead bullets occasionally

Help Support Ruger Forum:

anachronism

Single-Sixer
If you use lead bullets just get one of these. Best cleaner I have found.

I haven't had a case of leading for a very long time.

irishjack

Bearcat
When I finish a lead bullet shooting session with my Smith Model 29 44 Magnum, I fire 3 or 4 jacketed bullet rounds as the last rounds fired and I find this makes it easier to get the lead out while cleaning the revolver.

Some people have mentioned the Hi-Tek coated bullets.

I know they aren't plated, so are they considered cast lead bullets also?

Is there an advantage over straight lead bullets with some lube in the cannelures, vs the coated bullets?

I started out shooting lead bullets, but switched to the powder coated because they were advertised as being "slicker" and don't cause leading, which I haven't had any problems with. Also I don't like touching the straight lead.

Interesting thread by the way. I just read all the posts. I love it when I can learn something new. Not that I know everything, far from it. I just like getting into the details of reloading.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Interesting thread by the way. I just read all the posts. I love it when I can learn something new. Not that I know everything, far from it. I just like getting into the details of reloading.
The coated bullets are ordinary cast bullets, often from the same molds and alloys as you'd expect on a wax lubed bullet, just different in the coating. There is less airborne lead and smoke than with the traditional bullet as well.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
To what do you attribute that fortunate circumstance?
I keep a close eye on bullet fit, composition, and lubrication. I'm playing with powdercoated bullets now since I'm stuck shooting at an indoor range and I can really smoke the place up. Come spring I'll go back to my old ways.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The coated bullets are ordinary cast bullets, often from the same molds and alloys as you'd expect on a wax lubed bullet, just different in the coating. There is less airborne lead and smoke than with the traditional bullet as well.
I should also mention that your dies stay clean,and don't gunk up with lube.

Springer2

Bearcat
Cast bullets are not only accurate and easier on the barrel, they can be the only option for unusual caliber revolvers.
375-235 GC Tgt-1.jpg