GP100 - 327 Federal Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ok, finally getting around to making up ammo for my GP100 in 327 Federal. I have Hornady XTP bullets in 85 and 100 grains. Going to be using Accurate #7 for this first run and Win SP primers. Virgin Starline brass and Hornady 32 H&R Mag dies.

Those of you who have the 327 Federal GP100's, has your gun shown a preference for lighter or heavier bullets, or does it really not care? Almost all of my GP100's in 357 don't really give a darn what weight bullet I use, 110 to 160 grains. 3", 4", and 6" GP's all behave about same.

Yes, I know all about the "Each gun is a special snowflake, it's unique and may not perform like any other gun the manufacture has ever made before" answer that people love to give, don't care. :D I'm not looking for input as to what bullet/powder/primer combo is best, just what bullet weight works best in your GP100 in 327 Federal. I'll be finding what mine likes the good old fashioned way (shooting the heck out of it).

This is more just a fun exercise to see:
1: Is my 327 GP100 as versatile as my 357 GP100's?
2: If not, what does it prefer?
2a: Does it fall in line with the majority of 327 GP100's, or the minority?

Eventually, I'd like to try other bullets and weights (that's all my dealer had in at the time), and powders (have a wide variety of suitable powders already).

32shooter

Blackhawk
I have a few .327's, but no GP100. If you would like to try some 115gr Gold Dots, shoot me a PM. They are pulled bullets, but I have a few extra. Good luck!

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I do not own a 327 GP, but I do have an SP, but in my experience, 32 caliber handgun chamberings like lots of bearing surface, so the heavier bullets seem to shoot more accurately. This has held true for 32 S&W, S&W Long, H&R Mag, and 327 Federal in my Ruger. The 100 grain XTP is actually the lightest bullet I use in 327, and prefer the 115 grain Gold Dots for personal defense, and 120 grain hand-cast for everything else.

Ok, wow, thanks! I hadn't really even started exploring range of weights in 32 cals (my dealer just had those two I mentioned), so the 115 is a complete surprise! And thanks @32shooter , I'll be in touch to check those out!

@noahmercy and @needsmostuff , thanks! I prefer to shoot cast lead whenever possible, so I'll have to keep my eyes out for those as well.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Ok, wow, thanks! I hadn't really even started exploring range of weights in 32 cals (my dealer just had those two I mentioned), so the 115 is a complete surprise! And thanks @32shooter , I'll be in touch to check those out!

@noahmercy and @needsmostuff , thanks! I prefer to shoot cast lead whenever possible, so I'll have to keep my eyes out for those as well.
Highly recommend RimRock Bullets for heavy cast if you don't cast your own. Great quality and they offer a couple different alloys.

Springer2

Bearcat
We have a GP100 in 327. It has done well with heavy bullets. These are all gas check bullets we shoot: 113, 117, 120, and 132. Just to try it, I shot a few 150 FP cast bullets but you are getting almost too long at that point for the cylinder. If I had to limit it to one heavy bullet it would be the 120 NOE gas check. They are sized 0.313" or 0.314" and I did not see a big difference between the 2 as far as accuracy.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I have a .327 GP100 and I haven't fired it in so long , I can't really offer anything other than , the factory Red Box Federal was accurate to my recollection.

The last time I really fired it was just having fun with .32 H&R which is like a "Special " and .32 Long, which felt like .22's but was very accurate at short range . I've also fired .32 ACP through it with poor results .

I don't hand load so the gun kind of sits but it's one I'd never sell

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I like the heavier in my SP...and in a Blackhawk combo chambered to 327. I like the GC bullets best...but 32GCs are hard to find.I'm using Sierras right now...old.The same bullets wore fine in upgraded loads in the H&R too.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I happened upon a bulk of Hunter Supply .313 115 grain FP lead bullets at a very good price a couple of years ago. I have yet to find anything lead or jacketed that groups better. I load these to about 950-1000 fps with Unique or about 750-800 with Trail Boss. Both group great with virtually zero leading.

Couple of articles for you:

On my second GP-100 4" and older SP-101 3" and shot both this week. Most of what I have been shooting have been the home cast Accurate Molds 31-120S as I have a bunch of them already loaded. These are with AAC-7 and run 1400 fps from a 6.5" Freedom Arms...have not clocked them in a 4".

If you want a lot more speed from the Hornady jacketed bullets, run them with H110 or AAC-9. Will try and post more specific data later...

Bob

Latest posts