GP100 3" Adjustable Sights 357 PINTO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Waveform said:
Here's the latest "Frankenruger" to emerge....
Great work, I'm not feeling the look, too pimped out for me. I prefer a more subtle appearence. If I had 50 revolvers already I might consider something like this to be different but I only own 6...so far....

tinman

Buckeye
The bead blasted and the all black versions really speak to me.....the two-tone, while nicely done, not that much. I'm just not a shiny kinda guy.

Waveform

Bearcat
Flatbush said:
Wave, the revolver that you I guess Cerakoted, was that difficult to do?
Is that expensive to have done?

Your revolver reminds me of the Wylie Clapp model 1753. The Cerokote would I guess be a lot more durable finish-wise.

Great idea there- very cool!

Flatbush

Yes it's Cerakote. I do mine myself but I've surfed around the 'ol interweb and have seen some pricing on websites of professional applicators. It costs less than a quality bluing or plating job and it opens up a lot of possibilities in colors, patterns and design. It usually doesn't appeal to the purists who know what they like because they like what they know and want their revolvers to be blued or nickel or stainless steel just like God intended. I just enjoy playing with it and trying out new ideas or seeing if I can duplicate something I've seen in a photo. S&W is offering a few Performance Center revolvers now that have Cerakote finishes so the product is working it's way into mainstream offerings.

If nothing else it's a great way to do a quick makeover on a thrashed gun that's not worth paying good money for a refinishing in blue or nickel. I can buy a bottle of Cerakote for $35 that has enough to do 4 - 6 handguns or a couple of ARs so the product is not expensive and I don't think it's very difficult to work with.

It is a hard, tough finish. It doesn't chip, flake or peel. Like I said before, the all black GP100 has had 400 rounds through it and there is absolutely no turn line on the cylinder.

The "pinto" gun (subject of this thread) was an idea that I had and decided to try if for no other reason than to see if I could pull off the polished slabs on a 'koted barrel. I'm happy with the way it turned out so now I have that technique in my little bag of tricks.

I like reading the comments because it shows how widely opinions vary - some don't like it, some like it a lot, some think it would be better if this or that were different, others are kinda "meh" about the whole thing. That's fine - the best thing about a custom gun is you get to have it done (or do it yourself) just the way YOU want it. There's no right answer. As for me, I'm just havin' some fun.

Waveform said:
Here's the latest "Frankenruger" to emerge from my overactive imagination. Started life as a simple Model 1751 in 38 Special but I re-chambered it to 357 Magnum, slab sided the barrel to remove the laser etched "rollmarks" (and 'cause I like slab sided barrels) and had a buddy engrave it on his CNC machine the "RUGER GP100" and "357 MAGNUM". The slab sides, cylinder, ejector rod & pin, hammer, hammer pin, trigger and cylinder release button were all polished out by the pros at Patriot Gun Metal Polishing. I have a wheel but I wanted a better wheel man than me this time and Patriot did a superb job with a quick turn around to boot. I prepped and applied Cerakote Graphite Black to the rest and reassembled. Basic red ramp front sight and a set of rosewood target stocks by Eagle Grips complete the package for a GP100 pinto.

That is AWESOME! Is it for sale?

To follow up a bit on Waveform's discussion of Cerakote;

It's not hard to work with, but it is not just a degrease and spray it on. You have to do proper prep work on the gun (which from the looks of the GP, Waveform did great prep work, it shows in the final product).

Cerakote is tough stuff. It resists corrosion better than any other coating, even plain stainless steel. If you look at all the pistols that are sold by different manufacturers that are different colors (Flat Dark Earth, OD, Desert Tan, two tone tans, etc) they are Cerakoted right at the factory.

Am I a Cerakote employee? Nope, but I do run a gun repair/refurbishing business (some of my work I have posted here on the Rugers I resurrected) and from my experiences over the years, the only coating I use now is Cerakote because it has shown to be the best.

I do like "pinto" guns, some handguns lend themselves to looking good that way (as in JMHO Waveforms GP does). A lot of people like the contrasting colors,especially on a 1911. I have done many (and have one in the shop now) that the owners want the frame and slide in one color and the small parts (Slide lock, thumb safety, grip safety, hammer, trigger, etc) in a contrasting color. Others want the slide one color and the frame a different color. This one I'm doing now will be Desert Tan with OD small parts. I'll try to remember to take pics and post so you can see what it looks like.

Waveform

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
To follow up a bit on Waveform's discussion of Cerakote;

It's not hard to work with, but it is not just a degrease and spray it on. You have to do proper prep work on the gun (which from the looks of the GP, Waveform did great prep work, it shows in the final product).

Cerakote is tough stuff. It resists corrosion better than any other coating, even plain stainless steel. If you look at all the pistols that are sold by different manufacturers that are different colors (Flat Dark Earth, OD, Desert Tan, two tone tans, etc) they are Cerakoted right at the factory.

Am I a Cerakote employee? Nope, but I do run a gun repair/refurbishing business (some of my work I have posted here on the Rugers I resurrected) and from my experiences over the years, the only coating I use now is Cerakote because it has shown to be the best.

I do like "pinto" guns, some handguns lend themselves to looking good that way (as in JMHO Waveforms GP does). A lot of people like the contrasting colors,especially on a 1911. I have done many (and have one in the shop now) that the owners want the frame and slide in one color and the small parts (Slide lock, thumb safety, grip safety, hammer, trigger, etc) in a contrasting color. Others want the slide one color and the frame a different color. This one I'm doing now will be Desert Tan with OD small parts. I'll try to remember to take pics and post so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks Ron - glad to get a nod of approval from an expert. I didn't mean to sound too flippant about the prep & application process. It's certainly not a can of Krylon. Like any finish the devil is in the prep and a good hand with the sprayer helps. I use a Paasche air brush and it has pretty good control for someone like me who is generally Mr. Orange Peel with a HVLP gun. For anyone interested in the steps involved, Cerakote has good info available that describes the process.

The semi-auto and AR world loves Cerakote. All kinds of great colors and combinations. The revolver scene has been slower to accept it. If you want to see Cerakote finishes that will make your head spin there are galleries of images at Cerakote's website - some of these applicators are true artists. My humble pinto GP100 is an extremely conservative approach compared to what else is out there.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Now I want to read the graphic novel the Pinto appears in. I see something Frank Millerish, grim and dark but with flashes of blinding light, slivers of silvery hope...