GP100 10mm revolver.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sncup

Single-Sixer
Just picked up new toy, a 10mm revolver. Handling it, it seems sweet!
I don't know when I will be able to try it out, the outdoor range is tough to get to – very primitive with a few inches of snow. The good news is the shop owner is a 10mm fan and has ammo in stock – Yea. Looking on line it seems most ammo is either OUT or very high priced.

Now to order some moon clips and see about 10mm cases for reloading.

sncup

Single-Sixer
Contender: shooting USPSA do you use 10mm or 40 S&W cases?

I'm finding 5 different Moon clips that fit the Ruger GP100 10mm. Here is a bit from each website with some details I find interesting. Some brass is called out as not fitting.
Apparently there is a difference in clips that should be used for 10mm vs 40s&w brass. The 40S&W needs thicker clips for proper headspacing.
Some of the clips advertise NEEDing a tool to load / unload them while others say no tools needed.

I'm tempted to order 3 of the different manufactures clips to try out. Problem is the range I use is difficult to use in winter. Long walk thru snow to the only bench and the minimal target stand is down a steep sloped hill.

By Ranch Products S&W 646
Ruger GP100 10mm
Caliber: .40 S&W
Capacity: 6 rds
Thickness: 0.035″
Package: 8 per pack

NOTES:
– Sellier & Bellot, Geco or Wolf ammunition will not fit as their brass is not
– manufactured to SAAMI specifications. It is virtually impossible to get the
– rounds into the moon clips … even with the best moon clip loading tools.
– Starline brass will load the easiest followed closely by Remington.
– Winchester and Federal brass will be difficult to load.

† Light primer strikes are common when trying to use 40 S&W ammunition
– in the GP100 instead of 10mm.

the RIMZ 646 Moon Clip
All the below models take the RIMZ 646 Moon Clip
S&W 646 Revolver "L" Frame 38 Super Revolvers Ruger GP 100 in 10 mm
https://revolverguy.com/rimz-ez-moon-clips/
Ruger® GP100 10mm Auto Moon Clip
https://www.moonclipdepot.com/product-page/ruger-gp100-10mm-moonclip
$28.95Price
Ruger® GP100 10mm Auto moon clip.  This moon clip fits the six shot Ruger® GP100 chambered in 10mm Auto.
Our moon clips can be loaded and unloaded by hand with no tools required while still holding rounds securely.
These clips are stainless steel.  Made in the USA with USA parts and USA labor. 
SPEED BEEZ® Full Moon Clips for Smith & Wesson 646 6 Shot 40 S&W
https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-full-moon-clips-smith-wesson-646-6-shot-40-sw-package-10/
Our clips work with nearly every kind of brass; we have tested many and they all work.
• FREE de-mooning tool to help you remove stubborn spent brass easily.
• https://tkcustom.com/products/moonclips/ruger-gp-40sw-050

• Ruger GP-100 Champion Model .40 S&W Moon Clip
• Enables the firing of .40 S&W cartridges in the Ruger GP-100 10mm revolver, enabling correct headspace for proper ignition.
• Ruger GP-100 Champion Model 10mm cylinder now has the ability to fire .40 S&W cartridges.
• Clips are .050 thick Stainless Steel.
• Highest standards of quality & proper fitment. No Tools are Included.
• Loading & Unloading Tools are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for this Moon Clip.
• Fitment was designed to fit Winchester, Remington and CorBon. Other brands may fit tighter.  
• With the .050 moon clips headspace is approximately .010, as it should be.

• Ruger GP-100 Match Champion Model 10mm Moon Clip
• These clips fit most 10mm Brass.
• Clips are .032 thick Stainless Steel.

I have the 9mm GP100 and bought some TK Custom clips. They are definitely good quality, however, they are noticeably thicker than the Ruger clips with fame with the gun. This causes the ammo to stick out just a hair and causes problems closing the loaded cylinder.

I also bought one of the TK Custom loaders. That works like a charm, but, you definitely need an unloading tool.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have been using the Ranch Products moon clips for BOTH my S&W 646 & the Ruger GP-100. The S&W is in .40 cal,, and the Ruger,, a .10mm.
Now,, in my Ruger,, the 40 S&W brass, does occasionally give me light strikes,, and a second time around they fire. For competition,, I just use the 10mm brass,, and no issues.