GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6point5mm

Bearcat
A good freind of mine would like me to buy her GP-100 6" SS. She needs the money to buy a wedding dress. She bought it new (I think) less than a year ago and I don't think she's put a box of cartridges through it. I asked her what she wanted for it and she said that whatever I said that she knew I would be fair. My thinking is $400 is on the low and $500 on the high end based on a search of the classified listings here and on gunbroker.

What do you all think would be fair?

Jay

actionflies

Bearcat
$400 is too low for a NIB gun. Is it worth screwing a good friend over a gun? No! In my opinion I would pay her for what so paid for the gun if it was unfired NIB.

Rex Driver

Bearcat
Sir, with all due respect, I can not tell you what you should pay, or what you think would be fair for that gun, that is between you and your friendship for this young lady. What I can tell you is that I just purchased the very same gun from my local gun dealer and paid 549 plus tax and I did not feel that I overpaid for the gun. I am 61 years of age and have done my share of good things for people and most likely more than my share of the not so good things. I would be prone to give the young lady the 500 for the gun and understand that in life you will make many deals, however, how you treated your friends, family and your God (if you are so inclined) will be the things you remember, long after the price of the gun becomes unimportant and perhaps forgotten as you store up memories shooting this gun either at the range or in the field.

welder

Buckeye
Rex Driver":d7fct2r7 said:
Sir, with all due respect, I can not tell you what you should pay, or what you think would be fair for that gun, that is between you and your friendship for this young lady. What I can tell you is that I just purchased the very same gun from my local gun dealer and paid 549 plus tax and I did not feel that I overpaid for the gun. I am 61 years of age and have done my share of good things for people and most likely more than my share of the not so good things. I would be prone to give the young lady the 500 for the gun and understand that in life you will make many deals, however, how you treated your friends, family and your God (if you are so inclined) will be the things you remember, long after the price of the gun becomes unimportant and perhaps forgotten as you store up memories shooting this gun either at the range or in the field.

There couldn't be a better answer to your question than this post.

Quietdood

Bearcat
Oh man. I see a lot of red flags going up on this deal. She's a friend, it's a new gun, she needs to buy a wedding dress... looks like a deal you can afford to be the monetary loser on (but come out ahead on more subtle and more important levels).
+1 to Rex

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
maxpress":1zjd7sq6 said:
agreed. ask her if she has the receipt and offer her that amount.
I agree. Sounds like the gun is almost brand new and not even broken in yet. Anywhere in the 500 to 575 would be fair for a little used GP.

Good luck,
roaddog

revhigh

Hawkeye
roaddog28":3qp1hlwy said:
Anywhere in the 500 to 575 would be fair for a little used GP.

NEW GP's are $489 where I am ... I'd pay $500 tops unless you just want to contribute to her charity, which is fine if she's a good friend.

BobbyS

Bearcat
If it's NIB I would offer $500 for such a fine revolver. I would also tell her that a wedding dress is far more dangerous than any .357!

LTB45

Bearcat
All I can add is that I just bought a NIB GP100 SS 4" on Gunbroker 3 weeks ago. Purchase price $450 + Shipping $18 and $30 to my xfer FFL.
Total $498

I think I got a good deal and that was from an auction not a friend. Be fair to her, but don't overpay for the gun unless you really want it and she is a great friend that would do the same for you if the situation was reversed.

IMHO

Knuckles

Buckeye
Why don't you include the seller in the process... then if she wants to give you a deal from the information you provide, you'll both be happy... ya' dig?