GP-100 vs SP-101 for hiking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wiiawiwb

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Toklat in 454 Casull/.45 Colt and love it. More accurate with this than any gun I own. Looking to get something lighter for hiking purposes in .357 so I'm comparing the GP-100 with the SP-101 both in a 4.2" barrel. First off, were I to get the SP, I'd put the Hogue rubber monogrip on it.

The SP is about 10oz lighter but obviously must bite more than the heavier GP. I reload so I would shoot a lot of .38 special or light .357 loads 90% at the range. The SP trade off is 10oz weight reduction with one less round and snappier recoil.

1) How is the recoil of the SP with full house .357 loads with the Hogue grips?

2) Which of the two would you recommend?

Yermo

Single-Sixer
My experience was largely negative. I ended up selling my .357 SP-101, and if I ever going to replace it, it's going to be a 38 special only model. I see no point in downloading the venerable .357 magnum cartridge to the level of .38 special +P (140 gr. at 1,000 fps).
In my opinion, a reliable DA shooting of the average loaded (140 gr. at 1200 fps) .357 mag requires a 40 oz. gun, and that's what the GP-100 is.

When concealment is not an issue I go for the GP100 in the woods every time, my .357 SP101 was a snubby and .357's are fine to shoot from it but you definitely feel them vs. the GP100. To me the GP is gonna feel more familiar in your hand compared to the SP because you like your Toklat. Below are two of mine in 4.2", the SP101 is a .22 but other than the full lug barrel you can see the difference in the grip size. The GP has the Monogrip on in this picture but I've found I like the Tamer better so that's what's on it now...
160129_001.jpg

trapperon

Blackhawk
I would say the sp101 would be my choice in your situation. If you are shooting a 454 toklat, the 357 recoil in the SP will be no problem for you--certainly not as bad as that 454 casull. I think for a trail gun, the lighter weight is nice, and the 5 round vs 6 is usually a non issue-on the trail. If you didn't have that toklat I would say get the GP as a fine all around gun-- but being you have a larger revolver to cover you for hunting I think the sp will give you more versatility with that 2 gun set.

I have the 4.2 sp with adjustable sights you speak of and really like it. I still have the factory stocks on it--but that monogrip would really tame it.

Ron

rcramden

Bearcat
I carry a 5" GP when ever I'm in the woods. I find the gun well balanced and fits my hand quite well. In my part of the country .357mag is plenty. I prefer this gun to my 4.2" and 6" models. To me, the 5" is perfect.

I have sold my SP's and shoot and prefer the GP100's. Just fits my hand better. Weight not really an issue with 4" GP. I do carry my 3" LCRx with adjustable sights a lot in the timber as well. Very light and accurate.

As said the GP100 has same grip as Toklat so you might be more familiar with that route.

I'm with Ron, if I'm in the woods I like a lighter gun. I've got a 4.2" but to be honest I mostly bring a 3" because I like them. If you can handle a toklat with 454's I think the SP101 will be easy to handle. Might not be quite as fast for follow up shots as a GP but for the most part shouldn't be a problem. Have fun.

PS, I use the Hogue grips and like them very much. How ever if you can find Trausch grips (which are very difficult to find) they make the SP much quicker.

If just a 357 handgun for walking the woods in my area, I come prepared with a 686 4" with 180gr Hardcast lead "bear loads". Not a GP, but the same idea..... For shouting distance of camp and when carrying a rifle I prefer the Sp101 4". I for one have no problem shooting the SP with standard velocity 357 JHP loads. I find the stock factory grips to be completely satifactory and recoil is not an issue.

Dave

Gunnut45/454

Bearcat
I have both GP 6" and 2.5" SP either one load with 158 gr 357 mag make s a great hiking pistol. Wouldn't feel under gunned with either. But since I acquired a nice 45 LC RH they might not see much field use for awhile. :) Besides recoil compared to your 454 will feel like a 22LR. :mrgreen:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I have both Rugers. Don't carry either one. I can not recommend the SP101.

Three questions:
1. What is the Goal while in the woods walking? defense or offense
2. Are you concerned with recoil?
3. Are you concerned with the weight?
4. Why is Ruger your only option?

My situation, since I barely know yours, is:
With a revolver, I play defense in the woods. I'm not using it to hunt. Defense's biggest and most important rule is to have the weapon with you. What's the best gun ever made, the one you have with you. You didn't say hunting or target shooting. If you don't know the goal, any gun will work.

According to Chuck Hawks, that 454 Casull is 75% more recoil than the 44mag. I really can't even imagine that much recoil. Ouch! I don't understand why you want the 38 or light load 357 if you can handle the 454. If you're playing defense, you want a monster in that cylinder that can't wait to chew up whatever it's aimed at.
Carry lots, shoot little.

3. I can't handle weight. I love my GP100:
but my pants fall down or I get tired carrying 40 oz. all day. I leave it at camp.
The SP101 is stainless and what I consider a heavy gun.

4. There are better options in this case. Why not check out the Ruger LCRX in 357mag? It' lighter. Why not check out other manufacturers?

I selected a 13 oz. S&W 360 scandium in 357mag. I strap it on and I totally forget it's there. S&W is another great company in revolvers.

The recoil is absolutely brutal with that 13oz. But, I have had to shoot in a dangerous situation and I can tell you that recoil is the last thing on your mind. I didn't even feel it until ten minutes later. This is not a fun range gun.

Listen to the folks who have traded their SP101. Even though they are here on the Ruger Forum, they sold it away.

I envy you the hunt for your woods gun. You have a delightful dilemma.

Prescut

whichwatch

Blackhawk
You shoot a .454 Casull and you're asking about the recoil of a .357?? After shooting a .454 the recoil from a .357 would nearly feel non-existant, no matter what size the gun. I also have a Toklat and can vouch for the recoil it generates.

wiiawiwb

Bearcat
I'm not worried about the recoil of the SP-101 other than how quick it is to get back on target for the next shot. The Toklat's weigh absorbs a lot of recoil and, since the SP is a lightweight revolver, I was wondering if the SP, with a full-house load will be jumping around in my hand.

wiiawiwb said:
I'm not worried about the recoil of the SP-101 other than how quick it is to get back on target for the next shot. The Toklat's weigh absorbs a lot of recoil and, since the SP is a lightweight revolver, I was wondering if the SP, with a full-house load will be jumping around in my hand.

Follow up shots will be fine with the SP101, my .357 SP101 was a snub nose and was my EDC until I replaced it with a .38 LCR because of the weight savings in my pocket. In the woods I use a Galco Alaskan holster because I don't care about concealment and the gun feels like nothing in that rig, I used to take my 6" Security Six with me but my Match Champion GP100 will be my new companion in the woods, the 6" barrel was just a little long for my liking. The 4.2" barrel is the perfect length IMO, however, the GP and the SP feel completely different to me, so I would recommend getting your hands on both and see what feels right to you.

Erich

Single-Sixer
I own both (a 4" GP on which I've installed the short Lett stocks and a 3" SP with the factory stocks) and have carried them both on my frequent hikes up Bear Canyon behind the house.

IMG_20130902_075656_802.jpg

0131161546b.jpg

(Please note that I owned a short SP in .357 and traded it off, finding its short tube not suitable for the .357 loadings I like.)

I tend to hike with 180-grain hardcast handloads (a max charge of Blue Dot) that give around 1230 fps from the 3" and a bit north of that from the 4" - real, grown-up .357 Magnum loads. I agree with Captain America: follow-up shots are not a problem with either gun (it's a .357 Magnum, for Heaven's sake - out of a Ruger with great factory stocks). Neither gun is painful to shoot.

For what it's worth, over the years I've relegated the GP to the back of the safe and I generally hike with the lighter SP these days. I was amused to run across this post this morning as I got up and put on the SP (in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake with the IWB straps), as I'm planning a hike in the foothills in a bit. :)

You all have a great weekend!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...for camping a GP-100 would be fine but for hiking I think the SP or even a LCR would be better simply because of the weight.
...of course I haven't been camping or serious hiking since I was a Boy Scout. ...but if I did... :D

I have owned a GP 4 inch barrel-sold it when I needed money. Severe sellers remorse. I have since replaced it with a 3 inch barreled SP. It used to be my woods gun stuffed with 158 gr lswc over 13.5 grs 2400. Or Corbon 200gr for possible bear/hawgs. I now carry a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 spcl 240 gr lswc over 15 grs 2400. Good luck in your quest.
gramps

Erich

Single-Sixer
My SP did a fine job on a vigorous hike up the wall of Bear Canyon and over the ridge into Embudito Canyon just now - yep, the GP is a great gun but I'm not missing that extra round (or the extra heft) of the GP on these walks.

0227161359-1.jpg

And that Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake is a great way to carry it.

0104161629.jpg

jackruff

Bearcat
I love to shoot my 6 inch GP100, but I prefer to carry, either on foot or on my tractor, my 2.25 inch SP101. The longer barrel of the bigger revolver just gets in the way, especially on the tractor. I don't know the SP101 is there until I need it. (Big cottonmouths really don't like the little Ruger loaded with 158 grain semi-wadcutters.)

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
GP-100 every time as long as concealment is not a factor. If you need concealed carry then the SP-101 is much easier to conceal, and is also a fine handgun.