• GP 100

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Security Six

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

TomC321":3bbiu9d1 said:
the Security Six long out of production, parts support is much better for the GP, if you ever break anything, which may be unlikely with either.
Well, that's not much of a problem with a Ruger, they'll always fix it! :) Aftermarket support is another issue though...

ReelDoc

Bearcat
I have a 2 3/4" Security Six and my son has a 4" GP100. I'll take the Security Six any day - much easier for me to handle. I'm not a big fan of the full lug barrels.

SecSix1.jpg

But my favorite is my 4" Police Service Six - Oh yeah!!

ServiceSixright.jpg

NikatKimber

Bearcat
I now have a 3" GP that I bought last weekend, my wife has a 4" Security Six, and I used to have 2.25" SP101. I haven't shot my GP yet, but the SP seemed to have less felt recoil due to the wraparound rubber compared to the SS, but the SS just looks better, more classic.

I won't vote, since there's no option for both! To pick one it depends on what you want to do with it.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I voted for the Security Six, but only because I owned one and loved it. I'd love to get ahold of a GP100 to add to the family :D

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
The only GP that I am familiar with is a 3" stainless and the only six-series I'm familiar with is a 4" blued Police Service Six so no vote here. Both are carried with equal ease.
I will say that the Idea of not carrying a GP because it is too heavy is at least questionable. Carrying the 3"GP is absolutely no problem because of it's weight even if carried 12 hours a day or longer. Some of you know that ol' CD is not a spry young buck :wink: . A persons build ,clothing, and holster choice will have a greater bearing on carrying the GP than will it's weight.
In the case here, the GP is the most accurate.YMMV
Both have great eye appeal, to me anyway.

sammyh312

Bearcat
I've got two of each, all stainless .357s and I have to say I prefer the Security-Sixs. In reality, I'll never wear my Sec or Speed-Six out, and from what I've learned, they were plenty tough enough without a REAL need for the GP100. Ease of manufacture seemed to be the main reason behind the GP, and that's fine. I love the two I have, but for carrying in a duty holster everyday for twelve years, there's no comparison.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
I have both - the Security Six 4" and the GP 4".

Security Six - Lighter to carry.
GP - Less felt recoil (muzzle flip).

Myron

Three44s

Single-Sixer
My stable includes a SP101, Security Six and a M28 Smith in .357 ....

If I want more power than the Security Six handles readily ...... I'll sooner go to a revolver in the .40 something crowd.

The Security Six gets the nod for carryability with adjustable sights.

Three 44s

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I have a gp 100, and have held but not shot a security six and I like the SS better. Not sure how necessary that triple lock is. I only shoot +p anyways. Could have bought a ss for $50 less than my gp 100, but at the time I figured the gp100 must be better, otherwise why would ruger phase the SS out.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
ishmael2k":w2d0msbp said:
If I were going to be carring in a duty holster all day, the Security Six/Service Six is a lot lighter and a bit more compact. The GP is like wearing a brick on your hip. So, if I am going to carry more than shoot, the Six. If I am going to shoot a lot, definitely the GP. Likewise, the GP if I am going to be shooting a heavy bullet at high velocities.

Hint: there is a reason you seldom see Sixes (any of the Securiy/Speed/Service Six family of guns) on the used market. Those who own and shoot them do not sell them. (Although there is a thread where one guy reports finding one at a garage sale for under $100, and the picture he posted shows the gun in 100% condition with original box and all the paperwork and not even a drag ring on the cylinder!!!) Obviously, the owner died and the heirs had no idea what they had.

As you might be able to tell by my signature I voted for the SS. I have owned both of them and agree that the GP will handle heavier loads slightly more comfortably but you do pay for that in bulk and weight. I never liked carrying it and it is one of the few handguns I do not miss. :wink:

I currently carry the Service Six and love it. Thought about selling it awhile back, glad I came to my senses... :D

I have a Police Service Six 4 inch blued production 1985 which was a carry revolver. Its lighter than a GP100 and still stronger than any Smith and Wesson K frame. I believe the GP100 is better as a outdoor field/hunting.

richimo42

Bearcat
I carried my 4" GP100 for seven years, five days a week, eight plus hours a day, no problem. I handload and hunt with everything but a crossbow, so for big game I load as heavy as I can accurately shoot. I definitely prefer the GP.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I have both; a stainless steel 1978 vintage Security Six, and a blued adjustable sight GP100.

Due to the heavier barrel lug, the GP is a bit easier to shoot from the get-go. Despite some significant (and quality) custom gunsmithingon the GP, the Security Six has the better (and lighter) triggerpull between the two.

There's really no bad choice to be made here-one's individual taste should predominate.

One caveat: If you're going to extensively fire large amounts of 125gr .357 magnum ammunition, the GP is probably the better choice over the long run, due to its heavier build. I personally fire .38 Special +P almost exclusively out of both of mine, so for me it's a non-issue either way.

Best, Jon

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
P94/GP100":1i1vthe6 said:
I have both; a stainless steel 1978 vintage Security Six, and a blued adjustable sight GP100.

Due to the heavier barrel lug, the GP is a bit easier to shoot from the get-go. Despite some significant (and quality) custom gunsmithingon the GP, the Security Six has the better (and lighter) triggerpull between the two.

There's really no bad choice to be made here-one's individual taste should predominate.

One caveat: If you're going to extensively fire large amounts of 125gr .357 magnum ammunition, the GP is probably the better choice over the long run, due to its heavier build. I personally fire .38 Special +P almost exclusively out of both of mine, so for me it's a non-issue either way.

Best, Jon

Agree Jon. But I use 158gr .357 hollowpoints in my Police Service Six. The recoil is not that much more and mine is in great condition. The GP-100 will handle hotter loads but the average person does not need to use real hot loads. That is why I think the GP would be best as a outdoor/woods type revolver. I have small hands and the Police Service Six feels just right. The Security Six would excel for a home defense or self protection handgun. They are more affordable than a GP100.

Again, these are all opinions

Latest posts