GP100 vs. Security six

• GP 100

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Security Six

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Cholo

Staff member
Gee, guess how I voted considering there's only 2 votes? Maybe I'm old fashioned and never cared for Ruger DA's after the SSix, though I liked the Redhawk ok. Nothing at all wrong with them. Just my preference.

It was always stronger than a bank vault so...

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have both and like both, and they are pretty much the same. My 6" GP and 6" Security six are about the same accuracy wise, my 4" GP will outshoot them both anyday.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Did not vote, cause owned both 6" models.

BOTH KICK ASS!

SS ALOT lighter,
GP100 can handle any load out their with less recoil!

Had you listed the barrel length involved ,mighta got a different answer.

Will say, I own a SP101 Snubbie(consider it the MINI GP100)
,had it ported and love it.

But always pissed that never owned a SS Snubbie,,would kick harder, but lighter weight.

Ya can't really go wrong with either version.

2ndamd

Bearcat
I think the GP100 is an improvement from the SS line.
The ejector rod sits lower under the forcing cone, the front sight is a breeze to change out, and the grips are easy to change out and are both functional and make them look good.

But, to each his own. They are both great.

GhosT

Blackhawk
2ndamd said...

"the front sight is a breeze to change out"
Agree.

I switched out my GP100's all black site with my SRH's..that had a great orange insert.......SRH wears a scope so didn't need it there.
Took like one minute. ;)

A

Anonymous

Those that think the security six is better...why? I've been wanting a speed six forever but I have never once seen any of the SS line at a gun store to play with. :( I sure love my GP though.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
BigBlock":2muuvt3k said:
Those that think the security six is better...why? I've been wanting a speed six forever but I have never once seen any of the SS line at a gun store to play with. :( I sure love my GP though.
If I were going to be carring in a duty holster all day, the Security Six/Service Six is a lot lighter and a bit more compact. The GP is like wearing a brick on your hip. So, if I am going to carry more than shoot, the Six. If I am going to shoot a lot, definitely the GP. Likewise, the GP if I am going to be shooting a heavy bullet at high velocities.

Hint: there is a reason you seldom see Sixes (any of the Securiy/Speed/Service Six family of guns) on the used market. Those who own and shoot them do not sell them. (Although there is a thread where one guy reports finding one at a garage sale for under $100, and the picuture he posted shows the gun in 100% condition with original box and all the paperwork and not even a drag ring on the cylinder!!!) Obviously, the owner died and the heirs had no idea what they had.

If you come up to Anchorage, you can shoot mine. (security Six, 2.75", 4" and 6") and compare it with my GPs (4" and 6") and SPs (22 4" and .357 2.3/4"). Did I mention that I am fond of rugers?

JR47

Bearcat
We own a pair of 4", stainless, Security-Six revolvers. My friend has a 4", stainless, GP100. BOTH designs work well. The GP100 is heavier, and a bit bulkier.

My wife, who has commandeered one, put Pachmayr grips on it. She has RA, and it's affecting her hands. She can still shoot a box of 158gr. Fiocchi .357 Magnum loads without discomfort.

They look different enough that people will choose them for cosmetics, or have one of each (my choice).

ceb

Bearcat
I voted for the Security Six, probably cause I've been around long enough to remember them. I bought a blue 4" GP when they first came out, and then traded it for something, don't remember what. I found the SS to meet and exceed all my requirements.

ishmael2k

Bearcat
If I were going to be carring in a duty holster all day, the Security Six/Service Six is a lot lighter and a bit more compact. The GP is like wearing a brick on your hip. So, if I am going to carry more than shoot, the Six. If I am going to shoot a lot, definitely the GP. Likewise, the GP if I am going to be shooting a heavy bullet at high velocities.

Hint: there is a reason you seldom see Sixes (any of the Securiy/Speed/Service Six family of guns) on the used market. Those who own and shoot them do not sell them. (Although there is a thread where one guy reports finding one at a garage sale for under $100, and the picture he posted shows the gun in 100% condition with original box and all the paperwork and not even a drag ring on the cylinder!!!) Obviously, the owner died and the heirs had no idea what they had.

As you might be able to tell by my signature I voted for the SS. I have owned both of them and agree that the GP will handle heavier loads slightly more comfortably but you do pay for that in bulk and weight. I never liked carrying it and it is one of the few handguns I do not miss. :wink:

I currently carry the Service Six and love it. Thought about selling it awhile back, glad I came to my senses... :D

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I can't even remember how many Security-Sixes I've had. Currently have two. One a 150 prefix 6" blue. The other a 159 prefix 4" stainless.

Just thinking off the top of my head that I've had at least 5 all total. I started buying them because they were inexpensive at a time when I was short on funds due to child support payments. Bought one back in '84 for $100.

The above mentioned stainless 4", excellent condition.... I got a couple years ago for $225.

All the GP's I've ever seen were too much.

A

Anonymous

How does the action of the SS compare to the GP? I remember hearing the GPs were designed for less hand fitting.

It seems like lately there have been more and more security sixes showing up on auction sites...probably from people going bankrupt. :roll:

TomC321

Bearcat
I voted for the GP100. I have a 4" stainless GP100. I have held but not shot the Security Six. The grips feel pretty small in my hand. I prefer the GP100.

With the GP100 still in production and the Security Six long out of production, parts support is much better for the GP, if you ever break anything, which may be unlikely with either.

McP

Bearcat
For reasons strictly nostalgic, I say SS. Shot one belonging to a range bud a month or so ago and couldnt help but grin. I'll grant that they're both fine guns.