GP 100 vs. S&W 610, or, "Other"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redoktober

Bearcat
I can only afford one handgun right now (the stock answer typically is to "get both," but I'm on a budget). I'm looking at a Ruger GP100 in stainless (.357/.38 Special) or perhaps a S&W Model 610 (10mm/.40 S&W with moon clips). I plan to use it as a nightstand gun that I carry into the woods to hunt deer and for protection against black bears in the spring and fall when I hunt turkeys. I wouldn't use it for a CCW. I like the 4" barrel models.

I can get the Ruger for about $560 and the S&W for about $830. Is the S&W worth the additional $271? I hear they have really smooth actions and I like the idea of having moon clips for fast reloads as well as the versatility of the 10mm and 40 S&W combo. You can find hot 10mm factory loads for hunting and good 40 S&W loads for self defense without breaking the bank. Then again, the .357 magnum and .38 Special combo is no slouch either and there is a wide selection and variety of ammo available.

The money I save on a GP100 could go towards a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, which is something I've always wanted. I'd choose a single action, but it doesn't seem too practical as a nightstand gun and the hotter Cor-Bon hunting loads are pricey.

I've also considered the 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt or .44 Magnum. Again, ammo price and/or availability seems to be a concern with these two calibers. So, here are the key factors:

+versatility (hunting, home protection, woods protection)
+packability (4 inch barrel)
+accuracy (I don't need a target pistol, but something I'd be comfortable hitting a deer in the vitals at 25-50 yds.)
+factory ammo availability (I don't reload)
+power (must be able to handle black bear, hogs, deer, and 2-legged prowlers)
+economy (I'm willing to pay for quality, but am looking for the most bang for my buck)

GP100man

Buckeye
I`m not bias or anything like that LOL !!. but the plan with the GP100 & the rest going towards a 45 Blackhawk would be my course of action!!

The 610 is nice but price a availibility of ammo& reloading components 10mm brass is sorta pricey .

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!!

56-210

Bearcat
+economy (I'm willing to pay for quality, but am looking for the most bang for my buck)

I own one, and you will be purchasing a quality firearm...You'll be getting the most bang for your buck IMO...

Don't know about the bear, it will handle the other critters you mentioned... :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
Easiest choice I ever gave advice on ... GP100 in stainless with 4 inch barrel and adjustable sights. No better compromise on earth. Smiths are too fragile, 10MM (and I have one, a G20) is tough to find and expensive, and who wants a revolver in .40 ?

Get the bigger calibers later ... for now you can shoot dirt cheap and super accurate 38 specials, and go full-house 357 if need be. The 4 incher is super for quick handling and shoots as well as the 6 inch ... I have both. Stainless doesn't wear at all, and can be easily repaired by YOU of you ding it, and adjustable sights let you shoot ANY load to POA.

THe Smith isn't worth 10 cents more than the Ruger, and for the $300 saved, you can get into reloading in a BIG way. Sorry to disagree Snake !! :D As far as I'm concerned, if I can't have a Python, I want a GP.

REV

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
10mm ammo is rare. I wouldn't get into 10mm unless I was reloading. and 10mm it pretty rad in an auto. but in a revolver, nope.

for the difference in cost between the GP and the 610, you could buy a lee pro1000 with dies. and everything you "need" to start reloading. reloading is fun.

have you thought about a redhawk in 44mag? use 44sw for home defense and full house 44 for hunting?

redoktober

Bearcat
demo_slug":2to6780p said:
have you thought about a redhawk in 44mag? use 44sw for home defense and full house 44 for hunting?

Thanks to all for the great advice. I've thought about the Redhawk...I can get one in .45 Colt for about $680. I could probably find one in .44 mag or .45 colt on gunbroker for a reasonable amount if I kept my eyes peeled. The .44 special seems to have a cult following among handloaders who swear it is among the best defensive rounds. Haven't seen much factory ammo, though. Lots of magnum, but not much .44 special. It's worth considering.

sixshot

Buckeye
For what you describe I'd go with the 610, I've owned several & shot them for years in IPSC competition, funny no one has mentioned shooting 40 S&W ammo in it 90% of the time & wind it up with the 10mm's when you need more horse power. They are built on the N frame, you are going to have to pound on it pretty hard to ever show any wear. I've owned a couple 610 that had over 100,000 rounds each down the barrel & they would still shoot great, one had almost 100,000 in 2 years. The moon clips are very reasonable, you can easily get 40 S&W once fired brass anywhere in the country (shooting ranges) & it will come with a much better trigger right from the box. When you get ready to sell it you will probably get every penny back.
Now I'm a Ruger guy, I have lots of them but if you're going with one....
get the 610 S&W.

Dick

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
sixshot":wj45vo6t said:
you can easily get 40 S&W once fired brass anywhere in the country (shooting ranges)

why would you reload 40? 10mm is only going to cost a few pennies more once you get the 10mm brass. I bought a blackhawk 45ACP/LC convertible with the idea of using both, but once I got a collection of 45 colt brass. its just as easy to load either, so I just load 45colt. If I didn't reload then it would make sense... ACP is cheaper and more available.

can you confirm if 40sw is less accurate thru the 610 then the 10mm? I too was very interested in that gun until I heard wives tails about reduced accuracy due to more free space to the throat.

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
As a proud owner of some OLD classic S&Ws I would still recommend the GP100. It is a great gun for the $, tough as nails and reliable.

Unless you reload 10mm is hard to come by at many stores and is very costly if you do run across it. Major brand 38/357 is not.

OTOH, I really like the 10mm as a cartridge as well as the 41 mag. However, due to limited factory loadings and availability, they don't come into their own until you reload to suit your needs.

sixshot

Buckeye
demo_slug........"once you get the brass", maybe we can compare shooting 38's in a 357 mag, same thing, except 40 S&W brass is very cheap if you buy once fired, that was my point.
Now about accuracy: Shooting nothing but cast bullets in 40 S&W cases you will find the 610's to be very accurate, make that VERY accurate! If I thought I was being handicapped when shooting IPSC matches all over the western US for several years I would have switched to something else. For 14 months I was ranked #1 nationally in "A" class revolver..... shooting a 610 with 40's, I don't think there's an accuracy drop off! Yes wives tales is the correct answer.
Remember also when shooting 40's & 10mm's that the 10 uses LP primers as opposed to SP in the 40, just something to remember if you go that way.

Dick

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
500 pieces of 38 or 357 brass new from starline is $67. and 40sw is $75 or $78 for 10MM.

I personally love buying brass new instead of used. 500 pieces of brass in a revolver is almost a 5 year supply for me. I shoot bout 150 rounds a week. but is spread between a few calibers.

over the life span of gun, the ammo is going to cost more then the gun. reloading equipment will pay for itself quickly.

sixshot":2hbzzdu4 said:
demo_slug........"once you get the brass", maybe we can compare shooting 38's in a 357 mag, same thing, except 40 S&W brass is very cheap if you buy once fired, that was my point.
Now about accuracy: Shooting nothing but cast bullets in 40 S&W cases you will find the 610's to be very accurate, make that VERY accurate! If I thought I was being handicapped when shooting IPSC matches all over the western US for several years I would have switched to something else. For 14 months I was ranked #1 nationally in "A" class revolver..... shooting a 610 with 40's, I don't think there's an accuracy drop off! Yes wives tales is the correct answer.
Remember also when shooting 40's & 10mm's that the 10 uses LP primers as opposed to SP in the 40, just something to remember if you go that way.

Dick

redoktober

Bearcat
You know, I said I don't reload but I'm considering it given that every site I visit for ammo seems to backordered. The places that do stock it here don't have much in the way of variety on their shelves.

revhigh

Hawkeye
It's the only way to go .... trust me. The sooner you start, the better it will be.

REV

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
redoktober":vtexxnm8 said:
You know, I said I don't reload but I'm considering it given that every site I visit for ammo seems to backordered. The places that do stock it here don't have much in the way of variety on their shelves.

people used to load their own while being shot at(in the black powder days). it ain't hard. although there is a level of knowledge and care needed to prevent danger. 40 cents a built will motivate you real quick.

redoktober

Bearcat
I guess reloading would put a whole 'nother group of revolvers on the menu. Namely, those chambered in .44 special and .45 colt.

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
For the bucks you really cannot beat the GP100. I have a six incher that I'm very fond of.

Besides my SS Single Six, though, the gun that goes to the range every time is my Smith 620. Four inch barrel, 7 shots and believe me, it rocks.

Of the two you've mentioned I would get the GP, start saving brass and save up for reloading equipment. You won't be sorry.

Edited to add review of the Lee Classic Turret press. A friend of mine got the whole rig from Cabelas for around $200.00 and it cranks 'em out like ringing a bell.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

Jeff

dougader

Hunter
Hey sixshot: The thing is, at least at the range I use, I would never have to buy 40 S&W brass. Its laying all over the ground. I think I have around 1300 pieces of 40 brass just sitting in my garage. I might just have to buy a gun chambered in 40 S&W! ;)

mattsbox99

Hunter
This is tough because I have and love both guns. For my first gun, I'd go with the GP. You can run a speedloader just as fast as moon clips, I use my GP in USPSA competition, and while I'm not as good as Dick is, I sure enjoy the GP. I also shoot a .40 S&W Para Ordnance, and the .40 is a nice round to reload, and has mild recoil.

redoktober- you'll really want to get into reloading after you get either gun. They are so much fun to shoot and reloading is 60%-80% cheaper than buying new, you will pay for the equipment in no time if you shoot only 200 rounds a month.