GP 100 vs. S&W 610, or, "Other"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
The smith is the better of the two guns, BUT, I would buy the GP100 and invest in a lee turret press and some dies. You can do both for the cost of the Smith. I have a 6" stainless GP with some trigger work, shots very well. No moon clips needed, and with a press you can load your' ammo any d** way you please.

collector rob

Bearcat
Of the 2 you listed I would choose the GP100 based on ammo availability and variety. I had a 610 6" and I didn't like it. I thought It was to heavy for what it was. It should have been made on an L frame in my opinion.
Now if you asked for an apple to apple comparison GP100 vs. S&W 686, I would choose the 686. I have a 686P 2.5" and love that gun. Plus It's a 7 shooter.
Just my .02 ymmv

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I'm an old timer and pretty biased, but I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two in my years. I'm also a southerner and spent most of my years in the south (came west about 32 years ago).

The facts are
1) a revolver is aruguably more versatile than an auto.
2) in the eastern US the 357mag will do for almost every purpose

I used the 357 Blackhawk as my primary bush sidearm until I came west.

Of the two choices you posed, I'd opt for the GP without question. The 357 is a superb round and 38s/357s are commonly found everywhere. The 38.357 is easy to load and components and eqipment is easy on the wallet. When I was in college, I reloaded many a cartridge using a Lyman 310 nut cracker loading tool and a powder dipper. Times were tough then and the $$$ were tight.

Frankly, as with the previous poster, I'd prefer the S&W 686, but you can't go wrong with the GP.

8emem

Bearcat
If you decide that a GP100 is the way to go, you may be able to stretch your dollar even further by looking at a used one. There are many of them around (which puts downward pressure on price) and I have seen really nice ones for $100-125 less than new. They are tough as tanks with the front cylinder lockup and it is unusual to find one that has been shot loose. I suspect that most folks shoot .38's in these types of revolvers anyway - magnum ammunition is expensive and difficult to control in double action without constant practice.

mudsnake

Bearcat
Get the one that feels the best, even if more money, just save longer.

With that said, I like the feel of the GP100.