GP-100 Prototype Letter Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Gentlemen,
In my original post on a Ruger GP-100 Proto-Type, serial #880-00009 a forum member ask me to share the results of my request for a letter from Ruger, so here it is I think you will find it interesting.

If you did not read the first post, here's the link if your interested} http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=219341&p=2191635#p2191635

September 15, 2015, I finally got around to sending a request to Ruger Records for letters on four revolvers, one of which was for Proto-Type GP-100, serial #880-00009. I received a message on my phone from Linda at Ruger records on September 30, 2015, requesting me to check the serial number again on the GP-100 and to call her back and confirm it. I dug the gun out of the safe and had it in hand when I returned her call, I confirmed to her that #880-00009 was the correct serial number and that I was holding it as we spoke. There was a short pause before Linda said, "Ruger's records do not show that gun as ever leaving the factory", after a long pause on my end I gave Linda all the info on how I had acquired the revolver. She in formed me that with out a shipping date from Ruger to another FFL that she could not issue a letter, but told me she would talk to her boss and get back to me.

October 1, 2015, I received a message on my phone from Mr. David Olsen, Ruger Records requesting me to call him back concerning some questions he had on the Proto-Type GP-100. He left me his direct personal number. I returned David's call and described the revolver in great detail to him as he had no idea what it looked like, I told him "This revolver was where Ruger should have stopped with the GP-100" and we both chuckled. I then told him what I knew about the gun and how I came to acquire it in detail, he responded by saying he wanted to do some more research and that he would get back to me.
Later in the day David called me back and informed me that the records on this revolver were, "Rather Grey" and there was nothing showing that Ruger ever shipped the gun out. He then ask me if I would ship the gun to Ruger so they could inspect & verify that it was in fact a factory gun, we might then be able to get it lettered. I told David that my biggest concern was that when Ruger got the gun back, that I might not get it back!! his response was immediate "I guarantee you will get your gun back" I had come to trust David through our talks and agreed to ship the revolver to Ruger. David then ask me if I minded sharing with him what I paid for the revolver, I told him around $800.00 with shipping and FFL fees included, he was amazed and thought that that was a great deal, I told him that my max bid on the gun however was $1,500.00 which he agreed was in line, and then told me he was going to insure it for 2K.

October 2, 2015 Ruger had the UPS truck pick up the revolver at my home the next day and shipped next day air.

October 5, 2015, David called to say that he had received the gun chuckled and simply said "WOW"! It was apparent to me that David was impressed with the gun. Then he surprised me and ask me if I had noted the two piece grips on the gun I said no and then it dawned on me the grips them selves were proto-type's also! remember this gun was hand built in February 1985, the GP-100 came along in 1986. I gave David the ultimate collector's compliment, "good eye David" we both laughed.
David ask me if I would do him a favor and allow Ruger to ship my gun back to me through my FFL dealer rather than directly to me via UPS. He explained that by using my FFL dealer we would finally create a ship date on the revolver and he could then issue a letter, he also let me know that Ruger would pay all FFL fee's and shipping and even called my dealer and took care of everything. This also allowed Ruger to clear up their records also.

October 7, 2015, Ruger shipped next day air insured for 2K to my dealer in my name. October 8,2015, dealer received gun from Ruger and I was surprised when I picked the gun up but I'll let the pictures tell that part.

October 9, 2015, David called to make sure I had the gun back and was happy, I told him that I was and he told me my Ruger letter's would go out this week. I thanked David and Linda for all their help in getting the gun lettered, and I could tell that David was very happy that he had been able to help me, we shared several interesting calls over this endeavor.

I wanted to share this with the forum just as it happened for every one to enjoy.
Terry

Ruger Proto-Type GP-100 #880-00009 with Ruger Letter,

Provenance,

Revolver & Goodie Package, note the two checks lower right, Ruger reimbursements for FFL fee and a refund of my $40.00 dollar check for the four hand gun letters,, :eek: :eek:

The Total Package! Revolver, new Ruger plastic case for a GP-100 with a Custom Printed end label, shipping carton, Ruger Letter and the very important shipping slip!! Remember when I started this request I only had the gun nothing else!!! :) :wink:

hittman

Staff member
Wow! :!:

Congratulations sir.

You know, I really like the looks of the Security Six barrel on that GP frame!

contender

Ruger Guru
Terry,,, you have managed a super nice score, as well as getting to know a few of the fine folks at Ruger. It's a good thing the way they handled your gun & all the paperwork.
KUDOS to Ruger & especially David!
If I see him at SHOT,,, I'll speak to him!

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
hittman,
+1 could not agree more.

Contender,
I will simply say that he sure impressed me, and you are right the conversations we had were very informative & like we knew one another for years! stand up guy for sure and an excellent example of Ruger's commitment to their customers. I hope that you do get to meet him, you will find him to be an open and friendly man.
Terry

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,,, I think I may have already met him,,,just can't remember the "David" I spoke with, last name. I will be checking.

great find Terry, nice job, and cool as to the "conversation" with Dave; as to the number I thought that John Amber had the #9 guns at one time , and have no clue who may have gotten that number later on, though now it means nothing as the the "low number" program,,,,ha ha, how many single digit guns EVER get out ???
I now where the #9 .30 carbine is and the #9 OM .41 mag "was"....hhhmmmm
again, NICE find, and great pictures.......

coach

Hunter
Maybe I missed it, but any speculation how it got out of the factory without being shipped? Maybe an executive took it for examination or did it find its way out in a lunch box.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
coach said:
Maybe I missed it, but any speculation how it got out of the factory without being shipped? Maybe an executive took it for examination or did it find its way out in a lunch box.

That is the remaining "grey area" isn't it? :(

Please realize that Ruger did not even know that this revolver was gone from the factory until I requested a letter on it. :!: When I sent the revolver back Ruger took pictures for their files as they had none of the gun.

I have put a lot of time researching this revolver and after my conversations with Mr. David Olsen of Ruger Letters Dept. and managing also to get it Lettered from Ruger I have formed the opinion (mine only) " That who ever took #880-00009 out of the factory originally was NOT a thief, and did so with WBR's approval"!

I believe the records on #880-00009 are "grey" for a reason. If you will note in the letter Ruger stated that there were no records at all on any of the tests preformed on this revolver???
the answer I believe is that they went with the gun or were removed from the records when the revolver left the factory.

As an example, #880-00003 which appears to be identical my gun was owned by Gun Writer Pete Brown a personal friend of WBR. Gifted to him by WBR and later bought at auction by another Ruger Collector it too has a shipping slip from Ruger with it.

My only hope is that an old Ruger employee who worked on the GP-100 project from the beginning might just remember something about the gun! That's about the only way I have to find out more, I have gone as far as I can.

Terry

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
great find Terry, nice job, and cool as to the "conversation" with Dave; as to the number I thought that John Amber had the #9 guns at one time , and have no clue who may have gotten that number later on, though now it means nothing as the the "low number" program,,,,ha ha, how many single digit guns EVER get out ???

Prototypes have never went to "subscribers" of the low serial number program by intention, and this #880-00009 was too late in the game to have went to any subscriber who even cared at the time....yes, a few prototypes go out, but not because of the low number program.
Also, Ruger's 880- series of prototypes started at serial number 880-00001 and have been noted as high as at least the 880-014xx range, any Ruger model. The 880- series was created as a "safe" serial number range to keep the boys at BATF happy.

Terry...is there a proofmark on the gun? If there's a proofmark I don't think I'd worry too much about how it shoots. Ruger states a "manufacture" date in their letter so that is when the gun has received its final inspection, which includes tesfire of the revolver.
I don't think I'd look too much into Ruger's thought that they can't find anything about the testing of this gun. I really don't think they have the time or space to have somebody note all the testing that went on with these revolvers....and anyway, who knows if Ruger even did a substantial test on it? Those prototypes were probably created as an initial run to show the industry before the guns were announced. They just did some final tweaking before the final version was shown around (GP100 barrel).
Chet15

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
chet15 said:
rugerguy said:

Prototypes have never went to "subscribers" of the low serial number program by intention, and this #880-00009 was too late in the game to have went to any subscriber who even cared at the time....yes, a few prototypes go out, but not because of the low number program.
Also, Ruger's 880- series of prototypes started at serial number 880-00001 and have been noted as high as at least the 880-014xx range, any Ruger model. The 880- series was created as a "safe" serial number range to keep the boys at BATF happy.

Terry...is there a proofmark on the gun? If there's a proofmark I don't think I'd worry too much about how it shoots. Ruger states a "manufacture" date in their letter so that is when the gun has received its final inspection, which includes tesfire of the revolver.
I don't think I'd look too much into Ruger's thought that they can't find anything about the testing of this gun. I really don't think they have the time or space to have somebody note all the testing that went on with these revolvers....and anyway, who knows if Ruger even did a substantial test on it? Those prototypes were probably created as an initial run to show the industry before the guns were announced. They just did some final tweaking before the final version was shown around (GP100 barrel).
Chet15

Chad,
Thanks for the extra info & comments!

I wondered about why the 880- prefix came about on prototypes, now I know.

I had already fired three cylinders through it a few months back so I knew she was safe to fire. :wink:

Terry

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
Very nice! You might want to block out your address on the letter for security purposes.

Great story and great gun. I'm about to ship one of my (new) GPs off to be customized and will have the 'smith try to follow that barrel and lug profile. It's a 6" and I think that graceful curve on the lug will be very pleasing and help the balance.