GP 100 malfunctioning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sunset Carson

Bearcat
I have a GP 100 Stainless with a 4 inch barrel. The firearm has been shooting flawlessly until just recently. After about 18 rounds the cylinder binds and will not turn. I am able to open the cylinder and even after removing cartridges the cylinder srill will not turn. When I get the gun home and let it sit for awhile, I cannot duplicate the failrue. It only seems to do it right after firing. Has anyone ever run into this? I am stumped and don't know at this point if I should send it back to Ruger (have had a bad experience 2 years ago) or take it to a smith. Either way, I need to get it fixed. Any input would be appreciated.
Sunset

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The cylinder won't spin when the crane is open ?? I'm no expert but I would say lubrication or something is binding the crane shaft and cylinder. It is not easy to take the cylinder off of the crane so I would suggest flushing the whole cylinder and crane assembly, pushing the ejector and spinning the cylinder, then re-lube. :D

...Jimbo

Sunset Carson

Bearcat
Jimbo,

The cylinder spins freely when the crane is open. What I was trying to say is that a high primer problem has been ruled out. The gun is cleaned thoroughly and lubricated after every range session. It is definitely not due to fouling or lack of lubrication. Something must be expanding with the heating up of the metal, because when it cools down, it works fine. Thanks for your reply.
Sunset

GP100man

Buckeye
Is there witness marks on the end of the cyl when this happens ??

Check cyl gap , cold& hot.

How old is the revolver???

If new call ruger for a pick up box , if not check with fed ex for shippin , it has to be overnited though $$$

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I see you have been cleaning the GP100 Sunset Carson.

The first thing I would check is if the extractor rod is loose at all. If the extractor rod is loose it will allow the cylinder to spin when the cylinder is open and will bind when the cylinder is closed.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Sunset Carson, Welcome to the forum! There are many things that can go wrong with the GP-100 to lock up that cylinder. Another problem with the GP is that many parts are "factory only" installation and fitting. Although it may seem "farfetched" to some here to think "heating" up of the cylinder and "stretching" of the metal might be the problem, in my gunsmithing career I actually ran into this problem on a Single Action revolver once although it was not a high end gun like a Ruger! Because of "how" you described your problem, I would recommend you get a pre-paid shipping container from Ruger and send the GP back to them for analysis. It could very well be "worth" the wait for you!........................Dick :idea:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Be sure to clean real good under the ejector with a toothbrush and solvent. Is the cylinder scraping the forcing cone? Does the transfer bar hit the firing pin? Is the pawl and ratchet engaging correctly, might be that the pawl is worn. Does the cylinder stop drop when you start to pull the hammer or trigger? Just a few things to look for when the gun binds-up and is unloaded. Good liuck. :D

...Jimbo

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
From the brief description, the problem sounds like the cylinder is rubbing on the barrel. When the gun is cold it probably works fine. Then after a few shots everything warms up, expands, and you get a cylinder lockup. Measure your B/C gap with a feeler gauge with the gun cold. It should be at least .005". If it is .003" or less, you have found your problem.

When I figured out what was going on with my GP100, the B/C gap was about .002" I could get about 7 shots out of it and it locked up. Back home and everything checks fine.

CU